Fatality on Rosalie Moller wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vjongene

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Date: Sep 24, 2020, about 7 am
The 100 m long Rosalie Moller wrecks rests upright on a bottom of 50-55m. A typical dive visits the deck and superstructures, and some of the coal holds, at depths of 30-35 m. Visibility is rather poor for the Red Sea, about 10 m. Almost no current during the dive, but windy and choppy at the surface.

Briefing: there was a thorough briefing before the dive. The dive guide stressed that this was a deep dive, and required careful planning and monitoring of dive parameters. Less experienced divers should stay within NDL, those qualified to do deco dives should not exceed 15 min ascent time as indicated by their computers. The ascent should be started with a tank pressure of >80 bar. Everyone was diving on Nitrox 28. Each buddy team was to deploy an SMB during their safety stop to show the RIB where to pick them up.

Victim (D.): 60 year old female, in good physical shape, PADI Advanced Diver with Deep specialty and 200 dives experience. She was somewhat apprehensive before the dive, as she was using a borrowed computer she didn't know that well and was concerned about holding potential deco and safety stops. She was also over-weighted, owing to her concerns about not ascending in an uncontrolled fashion.

Buddy (K.): 30-ish male, physically fit, PADI Advanced diver with about 50 dives' experience. Somewhat overconfident, and not always disciplined. He and the victim had been buddied up for the duration of the five-day dive trip, and this was Day 4 of the trip.
There were three other divers in the group, an experienced couple in their sixties and myself (DM, >1200 dives). We were keeping an eye on each other, but I was buddied up with the couple.

The dive: after a 10 min bumpy ride in a RIB, our group was dropped off above the wreck. One of the dive guides had tied an SMB to the wreck to provide a visual descent line. We regrouped and went to the stern, staying between 30 and 34 m. I dropped down for a quick look at the screw, and rejoined them on the deck. We then moved towards the bow. 17 min into the dive, D. and K. signaled that they wanted to ascend. D. had 90 bar left in her tank, K. had 70. They were both within NDL. We (my buddy team) decided to stay down a bit longer, as we still had plenty of air and were used to deco diving. We ascended at 25 min into the dive and took 15 min to make our ascent with deep, deco and safety stops. When we got to the RIB we saw that only K. had made it, and that D. was missing. Everyone was looking for her, as K. had lost her during their ascent. Once everyone else was accounted for the RIBs spent about 45 min looking for her at the surface.

The accident: there was only one witness to the actual accident, K. His dive log (profile) corroborates his account. When they reached a depth of about 20 m, D. signaled a cramp in her leg. K. intervened with the standard cramp relief maneuver. Apparently one of D's weight pockets was dislodged on the process and fell out. She dove after it, presumably worried that she would not be able to control her ascent. K. tried to stop her, but was too short on air to go after her. He managed to make it to the surface after a reasonably controlled ascent, but with an almost empty tank. D. never came up. The dive guides found her about an hour later, laying on the bottom (50-55m) next to her lost weight pocket. She was still negatively buoyant.

I will not comment further, I am sure there will be plenty on the forum. Do not ask for names, even of the boat.

I would only comment that the victim's concern about a "runaway ascent" is generally unfounded. Neoprene compression at depth adds to negative buoyancy, and this fact is insufficiently emphasized in training. It is easily possible to make an ascent to a point of neutral buoyancy even after dropping many pounds of weight.
For those interested in exploring this further, see the User's Manual in this thread: Optimal Buoyancy Computer

Above and beyond the overweighting and a borrowed computer...
Single tanks are not appropriate for 30-50m dives with deco. 80bar is way to small a minimum gas. EAN28 is also a poor gas choice.

Do you know if D did a lot of cold water dives? I vaguely remember reading about an accident where woman who ordinarily dove cold didn’t adjust her weight for a warm water dive and she ended up drowning.

Do you know if D did a lot of cold water dives? I vaguely remember reading about an accident where woman who ordinarily dove cold didn’t adjust her weight for a warm water dive and she ended up drowning.
No, she was a "tropical" diver.

This is a very sad story. Due to the apprehension regarding the dive computer and weighting, perhaps the dive should have been called up front. It is too bad she attempted to recover her weight pocket rather than trying to finish the ascent. It was a no stop dive, even being unable to hold the safety stop would have been an acceptable alternative.

I don't find the dive unacceptable for a relatively experienced and adequately trained rec diver. MOD for 28% is 132 feet. A normal ascent from 115 ft with a 3 min SS at a RMV of 0.5 cf/min would have used only about one third of the gas available at the suggested start ascent pressure with an AL80.

There are at least a couple of lessons to be learned here.

I'm having trouble making sense of this. She had 200 dives, I'm assuming a few of them were advanced.

Why would the computer have caused her to be concerned about holding a depth? It shouldn't have, so I'm going to set that aside.

Going after the weight makes no sense. Frankly, overweighting herself in the first place makes no sense to me.

This is a very sad story. Due to the apprehension regarding the dive computer and weighting, perhaps the dive should have been called up front. It is too bad she attempted to recover her weight pocket rather than trying to finish the ascent. It was a no stop dive, even being unable to hold the safety stop would have been an acceptable alternative.

I don't find the dive unacceptable for a relatively experienced and adequately trained rec diver. MOD for 28% is 132 feet. A normal ascent from 115 ft with a 3 min SS at a RMV of 0.5 cf/min would have used only about one third of the gas available at the suggested start ascent pressure with an AL80.

There are at least a couple of lessons to be learned here.

Yes there are. I would like to point out that having emptied their tanks to 90 and 70 bar 17 min into the dive, it was apparent that D. and K. were hyperventilating. Our team still had >120 bar at that time, and got to the surface with 60 bar each after 15 min of ascent.

Two divers, one OOA and the other a little stressed and helping, are going to use more than 80bar coming up from ~35-40m even without a deco obligation. Add a 5 to 15min deco obligation and this gas plan gets even worse.

I'm having trouble making sense of this. She had 200 dives, I'm assuming a few of them were advanced.

Why would the computer have caused her to be concerned about holding a depth? It shouldn't have, so I'm going to set that aside.

Going after the weight makes no sense. Frankly, overweighting herself in the first place makes no sense to me.

Regarding the computer, she lost her own during one of the first dives while getting back onto the RIB. She was concerned about not being able to correctly interpret the screen on the borrowed computer.

For some reason she was worried about not being able to keep her buoyancy neutral during the safety stop. Several people on the boat had told her she was carrying too much weight (10 kg). This was amply corroborated when after losing 3 kg she was still negative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom