fast way of drying a wetsuit- anybody got a tip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shoupart:
Hey,
I was wondering if there's a quicker method of drying out a wetsuit then leaving it to hang up.

Stand on the back of the boat naked and hold it by the arms or legs above your head until dry. It works for me everytime!!!!!!!!!!!

getwet2:
Stand on the back of the boat naked and hold it by the arms or legs above your head until dry. It works for me everytime!!!!!!!!!!!

While getwet2 has certainly come up with an innovative solution to drying one's gear... :wink:

I have noticed that if you hang a wetsuit over a register when your A/C is on, the dehumidifying effect of the air conditioning seems to hasten the process considerably, without worry over sun, heat or any other "exposure" :11:

But, then I don't own a boat...

Front loading washers are much gentler on clothing than the top loading kind, plus the newer front loaders have controls that allow you to vary the spin speed. I've been running my neoprene through a rinse and spin, then a spin only to get most of the water out. In my more humid climate, it takes 5 days to air dry if I were to just hang everything up wet.
As far as creasing, I've had more problematic creases form when I've left my suit folded so whenever possible, I leave it hanging down in the garage.

shoupart:
Hey,
I was wondering if there's a quicker method of drying out a wetsuit then leaving it to hang up. One of my friends told me he likes to put his in a dryer for a few minutes, but not too long to damage the bubbles in the neoprene.
Does anybody have a recommendation?

No good can come from washing or drying in any machine. Avoid universal (brush type) motors as they will introduce ozone that deteriorates rubber. Air circulation is your friend and other wise don it damp.

That's agreat Idea ..( http://www.taucher.net/tips/tips_detail.html?nummer=152 )... I would add another fan at the capped off end, blowing in, to increase the airflow ..

I've seen something like this incorporated into a wetsuit hanger at the neck opening to get the same results ... http://www.hangairs.com/hangairs.swf ... OOPS too fast for me jtoorish :)

You could also speed up the drying proceses by turning your wetsuit inside out when hanging it up

A lot depends upon where I am at the time. At home, I simply rinse thoroughly and hang dry in the shower.

However, many times I don't have the luxury of waiting for it to air dry... in a few... *few* of those cases I was very willing to run the wetsuit through the rinse and spin cycle of the washer and even put it in the dryer on low / air only. What made me do this? Knowing that I had less than 24 hours to pack and leave Hawaii, knowing that if it were slightly damp I would be opening a very smelly suitcase.

Most of the time I simply roll it up firmly in a towel a couple times to get the excess moisture out after rinsing and hang it up. Keeping it out of the sunlight is ok but again, if I need it to dry and it's humid out... sunlight might be my best option.

I know my wetsuit isn't going to last forever.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom