Fantasy Island Resort Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm surprised that Jamaica didn't show up?

I'm surprised that Jamaica didn't show up?
I've never been there; I'm sure that I never will. The source is interesting, altho I don't know how credible they are, yet it's good to have one that's considered reputable. Looking over the 1 to 180 list, best to worst, a few excerpts from cpi 2008 table /cpi2008/2008/in focus/news room
4 Singapore
5 Switzerland
7 Iceland :confused:
18 USA
65 Cuba, Kuwait - tied
72 China, Mexico - several tied
96 Jamaica
115 Egypt, Maldives - several tied
121 Nigeria, Viet Nam - several tied
126 Honduras
134 Pakistan
141 Philippines
178 Myanmar
180 Somolia​
You'd think the lower on the list, the more likely that your death would be written off as a oops with no report. I'm surprised to see Cuba over so many. This list is out of context tho, as 109 Belize is relatively safe in the coastal tourist areas (inspect the air compressors!) but you need to hire a bodyguard to go into Belize City even during the day. Many variables. I thot Nigeria would be lower? The letters from my newest internet girlfriend there with Unicef would make a good Humor thread on its own.

altho I don't know how credible they are, yet it's good to have one that's considered reputable.

Just GOOGLE it, like I said, Honduras is always a contender, no matter who's list it is.

You'd think the lower on the list, the more likely that your death would be written off as a oops with no report.

The list has nothing to do with your safety. It has everything to do with internal governmental corruption. Don't read more into it than there is. :shakehead:

Pieces of paper, receipts and such- are irrelevant when re-entering the US. US Customs doesn't care other than you are importing a specific product. Just list what you are bringing back. Unless you act like a butt weasel, they will let you bring back excessive amounts, just declare it and smile. I have never seen them enforce the limit on the number of bottles (as the law specifically dictates), even though you have a bit more booze than allowed, but carrying them in many 500ml bottles. Obvious gifts and not for US resale.

The lights go out in Roatan, or at least they used to go out in the airport... because they were many many months behind in paying their electric bill. That $33 exit fee that you throw down goes right to the mainland central government in Tegucigalpa.

Honduras is always" highly rated": Corrupt Nations- and the winner is... :shakehead:

That may be true. However, despite being open, that was their reason for not selling anything when I was there with the bottle and the cash.

I was at FIBR 3 or 4 years ago....can't remember at the moment. But I was perfectly happy with the mediocre food, given I gained 10 pounds on vacation the year before at a resort with excellent food.

I won't return to Roatan in general as I like to try new locations and I just didn't find Roatan that much to my liking. But I know others love it.

Well, I last went to Roatan in 2006 and 07 and stayed at Fantasy Island both times mostly due to the great price. O6 found the rooms in better shape than 07 (pool was better in 07). Food is better than described by the original poster, but not much. Think 2-3 star. Breakfast is great. Lunch can be ok IF you stick to the fish or chicken dishes, fruits, and vegs. Dinner was 3 star both years - better than fast food, certainly nothing to write home about, but plenty, reasonably tasty (be selective, stick to fish). Beef dishes tend to be overcooked. Rooms, forget the newly remodeled, request the rooms facing CCV -they are larger, nicer, though maybe a little longer walk. We got one of the remodeled rooms in 07, and requested to be moved to the rooms facing ccv (2nd floor). Much better view, OK the walls were a bit worn. Rooms were larger, showers functional and a short walk to the dining room. Hey, this is third world. Monkeys roam freely throughout the resort. I was OK with the dive Op as I had the same DM both years. We average about an hour (1hr-1:20 many) each dive without handholding. The DM was knowledgable re where the seahorses were (It really became a "seahorse of the day" thing - which is way cool considering how hard they are to find some places) and other neat stuff (octopus, squid, eels, etc.). We dove Mary's place twice (different routes, profiles). 40' point, Valley of the Kings were favs. The shore dives are great whether CCV or FI (particularly night dives). 23 dives in 07 and 22 in 06 trips. What I like about FI vs CCV is that you get to dive 3 different sites each day (plus all the shore you want to do from the dive gazebo), CCV dives two different sites and gives you a drop off on the house reefs on the way back. The beaches at the resort were great. We hit West End for the evening a couple of times (much fun). Yes, a decline noted from 06 to 07 in the rooms, but the diving was just as good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom