Fantasy Island Resort Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It didn’t take me long to discover that most of you are Co-Co for CoCo View (CCV). I’ve read post after post declaring allegiance to this dive destination. I also discovered that another dive resort resides within a stones throw from CCV. That resort is Fantasy Island Beach Resort (FI). Against the overwhelming advice of ScubaBoard members, and motivated by an enticing dive package (i.e. cheap), I decided to vacation at FI.

Before I begin this review of FI, I feel that it’s important to tell you a little bit about who is writing this review.

I started diving, due in part to the prodding of my wife, on our honeymoon in Negril Jamaica (Sept 2006). Since that time I have attained my master scuba divers certification (PADI) and have completed 96 dives.

Both my wife and I work within the medical field. We vacation approximately 5 times per year. The majority of our time is spent in Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Cancun, and Negril. Neither of us had been to Roatan prior to this vacation.

We are accustom to staying at 5-star, all-inclusive resorts, which include, but are not limited to, the resorts of RIU, and Occidental Grand. Our diving experiences have been limited to the dive operations located at these resorts.

Getting there:
Our stay was during the off-season from 16-24 September 2008. Unfortunately, there were no direct flights into Roatan. Therefore we caught a flight from Minneapolis Minnesota to Houston Texas and from Houston to San Pedro Sula Honduras (both via Continental). We flew to La Ceiba Honduras via an island hopper and caught another like-plane to Roatan.

If you’ve never flown an island hopper, I would highly suggest doing so simply for the experience. Our flights were arranged through Sosa Air and Taca Air. We were forced to use Taca Air on our return flight due to a scheduling error made by our booking agent.

It’s an easy 20 minute bus ride from the airport to the resort, which is provided by FI.

The resort:
The resort is located upon a beautiful 21 acre island, which is accessed via a guarded bridge. FI has 109 rooms, two restaurants, two bars, and a gift shop.
Grounds: Over all, the resort appears to be in decent condition, but is in need of some TLC.

Rooms: I was doing some research about FI, and discovered that they had recently remodeled several of the rooms in one of the wings. My wife and I stayed in room 125, one of the revamped rooms. The room was very spacious and had a partially blocked view of the ocean (trees). None the less, the view was nice.

There was a small private deck and furniture accessible through a sliding glass door. Interestingly enough, the sliding door was secured by a broom handle located at the bottom of the door as the lock did not work. Normally this wouldn’t be a big deal as I have a commercially manufactured device, akin to the broom handle, securing the door in my own home. What makes it interesting is that both the right and left sliding glass doors open, but there was no way to secure the left door. Therefore, it could be opened from the outside.

Our room had a king-sized bed, which was very comfortable; a small TV with working cable access, and a small locking refrigerator. The maid service refilled a water pitcher within the refrigerator on a daily basis (tap water from the bathroom faucet is not potable). The floor was covered in a Pergo-like covering, which had several large gaps (probably due to water dripping from vacationers wet clothing). There were several spots on the walls where spackle work was either not completed or in the process of repair.

There are no safes in any of the rooms. Safety deposit boxes are located at the main building and a monetary deposit is required for the key. The boxes are in a locked room located next to the main desk. Of note, the key to this room is on a long chain, which is bolted to the front desk. So, basically anyone has access to the room. FI charges $1 US/day for use of the safety deposit box.

The bathroom was spacious and covered from floor to ceiling in marble-like stonework. The shower head was of the handicapped type with a hose attached to it so that it could be hand held and/or moved to a lower position. Unfortunately, the wall attachment was broken so it couldn’t be hung up. In order to take a shower, I had to hold the shower head like a garden hose and soak myself down; then, hang it over the faucet handles while soaping up.

A large vanity with shelving provided ample space for clothing, dive gear, and miscellaneous items. There was also a small table and chairs within the room. The air-conditioning worked well enough to freeze us out, which is a feat in itself being that we are from Minnesota. There are no “Do not disturb” signs available, which nearly caused a moment of embarrassment with the maid service.
Overall, the room was more than adequate.

Dive op
FI does not allow diving on your day of arrival. The shop manager provides a very brief overview of the operation and assigns you to a boat and DM, which you will remain with during your visit. Normally this might be a good thing, but in our case, the DM went on vacation half way through our vacation. I say this because our first DM was absolutely fantastic! He and the boat captain went to great effort to mingle with the divers before and after the dives. He always made sure to point out as many underwater creatures as he could and our dive times averaged a little over an hour. His philosophy was “You guys are experienced divers and I’m not going to hold your hands unless you ask/need me to. Plan your dive and dive your plan. I’m just here to make sure you have a good time”.

This was not the case with our second DM. He rarely spoke to the divers unless spoken to, only pointed out a few things underwater, and our dive times were in the thirty-five minute range. On three separate occasions my wife and I watched him tear off pieces of fan coral to use as a scrubby in an effort to reduce mask fogging.

I also watched him wash out his baseball cap in the onboard camera soak bucket. After two days of this, I complained to the shop manager. After a talking to by the manager, the DM quickly changed his tune and allowed us to “dive our dive”. My last dive of the trip was the longest at an hour and twenty minutes.

The shops regulators and BCD’s appear to be in good condition. However, I do have reservations about their tanks. I saw several divers returning tanks due to leaking around the area in which the valve mates to the aluminum tank. I had the same issue with a tank. I also heard the loud, gun-like noise of a o-ring exploding as a diver connected their first stage to a tank (at first I thought it was a hose giving way, but it was the o-ring).

There are boat dives three times a day and they return to dock after each dive. At first I thought this was a bad idea, but in actuality it was nice to be able to use the restroom, grab a snack, or gather forgotten gear. Fresh fruits and water are provided on the boat. There is one night boat dive per week. I learned that after your third boat dive, you can request a “drop off” on the way back to the dive shop. You simply bring an extra tank with you and switch out on the way back. The captain will drop you off directly above the shipwreck of the Prince Albert. You can either tell the captain when to pick you up (at the gazebo), or use the phone at the gazebo to call for a lift back. The walk back from the gazebo to the dive shop is rather long.

I would highly suggest doing the wreck dive at some point during your stay. The ship is located about 80 meters from the gazebo. Heading West Northwest from the wreck, you will find the remains of an airplane, which has an attached cable that leads back to the gazebo. Take your time following the cable because there is a ton of small aquatic life living along this path. It’s very easy to navigate your way from the ship to the gazebo. Be aware that viz can be pretty poor at this location.

You check out your weights from the dive shop much like you would at a library. If you need to change weights, you simply exchange what you have for what you need. This system is somewhat poorly regulated, and I’m assuming that there is a charge for lost weights. However, I did notice piles of weights left by departed divers in unused dive lockers.

Speaking of dive lockers, FI’s lockers are housed within a building next to the main dive shop. The lockers are made of wood with a shelf and a small bar for a hanger. There are no doors on the lockers and it’s first come, first served. The locker room is unsecured so be conscious of what you leave behind. We had no issues with gear going walkabout nor did we hear of any other guests having problems. We chose to take our regs and BCD’s back to the room with us (we rented Zeagles from our LDS prior to leaving on vacation).

There is an onsite photography center as well as dive gear shop. Both must be accessed via help of a staff member (ie: You’ve got to find someone to open the shop(s) doors for you). I can’t speak for the photo center, but the gear shop has a reasonable selection of items that one might need. SSI and Padi courses are available as well as EANx. Several large soak tanks are available as well as one dedicated to camera equipment.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST

Continued due to character limitations:

Boats: FI has 4 dive boats and a small transport boat to bring divers back from the dive gazebo. As a side note, you can request that tanks be delivered to the gazebo for shore or night diving. The 4 dive boats appear to be well maintained and accommodate, by my estimates, 20 divers. I witnessed emergency medical equipment being brought aboard every morning. Water entry is via giant-stride from the stern. A drag line was present, but was only utilized during windy/wavy conditions. Two, clearly labeled thirty gallon buckets are on-board; one for masks and the other for camera equipment ( [sarcasm mode on] Unless the DM deems the camera tank acceptable for use as his personal clothes washer).

Food/restaurants
FI has two restaurants. Breakfast and dinner are served in the main building. Weather permitting; lunch is served in an open-air restaurant located next to the beach.

Breakfast was the best meal of the day, which included staples such as pancakes, bacon, eggs, cereals, toast, omelets made to order…

Unfortunately, lunch was consistently a major disappointment. In general, the food was palatable, but just that. You won’t starve, but it was not an enjoyable experience. The food was a combination of leftovers from the previous night’s dinner and a few well-overcooked additional items. Hamburgers, pasta, and fish were present at each lunch.

The best part of the lunch experience was watching the large bats flying in and out of the dining area. I know some of you might be turned off by this, but we found it to be rather entertaining and a great way to divert our attention away from the deplorable food. We never encountered any problems with these fuzzy flying creatures.
I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the hoard of Capuchin monkeys that hung around the dining area on a daily basis. Despite the numerous signs stating “Do not feed the animals”, guests constantly fed them French fries with the intent of having a photo taken with a monkey on their shoulder. I have to admit, they are cute little buggers!

My wife and I rated dinner at a 2/5. Overall, the food was not very good, but there were a few exceptional items worth mentioning. The highlight of the week was the all-you-can-eat lobster night. I was more than happy to do my part by dispatching 6 tails.
Apparently, the chef makes homemade ice cream for FI. Without hesitation I can say that the ice cream is fabulous. Each scrumptious bite brought me back to a time when all of our neighbors got together to hand crank this delight. Aside from the ice cream, desserts were bland, boring, and repetitive.

On most nights, a line cook was available to prepare a variety of foods. The best to come from his grill were small cuts of steak. A reasonably sized bar was well stocked with fresh fruits, vegetables, lettuce, and dressings.

As with lunch, pasta is a staple for dinner service. The pasta was usually overcooked and the sauces were definitely from a can. Shrimp, when available, was excellent. In all honesty, the rest of the food was no better than, and in some cases, worse than fast food.

One night featured Channel Cleaner Crab. I would tell you how it tasted, but there weren’t any utensils available to crack the shells open.

Water, juice, coffee, and tea are available at each meal. However, we discovered that you must specifically request these beverages. Alcoholic beverages, unless on an alcohol included all-inclusive plan, are available at an additional cost.

We quickly found that, unless seated with a large group, table service was virtually non-existent. Most of the time we bussed our own table, found our own coffee cups, and refilled our own beverages (from the waiter’s station). It was quite irritating in light of the fact that there were always several waiters hovering around other tables with nothing to do.

Gift shop:
The gift shop is rather sizable and contains a huge selection of diving related tee-shirts. They have a selection of snacks, beverages, medicines (know your Spanish before you take any of these), suntan lotions, clothing, and gift items. Hours of operation vary depending upon the day.

The beach:
The beach areas are quite beautiful and being that we were visiting during the off season, for the most part we had them to ourselves. The sand isn’t as fine as the beaches of Mexico, but it’s kept reasonably clean. Both my wife and I were chewed up by the no-se-ums, but I didn’t suffer the persistent itching that my wife endured. She used 100% Deet while on the beach, which made no difference at all. I didn’t use any Deet and received the same number of bites. There appears to be ample lounge chairs, even for a full resort.

Kayaks and large three wheeled water trikes are available for use at no charge. A deposit is required for the use of their tattered beach towels.

Swimming pool:
The pool appeared to be nice, but we did not use it during our stay.

Staff:
In our estimation, approximately ½ of the staff at FI were friendly and helpful. The other ½…not so much.

Entertainment/Day trips:
There was a schedule of nightly entertainment posted at the main building. However, we believe that most of the events were not held due to the resorts low census. As I recall, the following events were listed (don’t remember most of them): karaoke, underwater video presentation, fire twirler of some sort…

A local artist was displaying figurines carved out of black coral. Frankly, I found this to be disturbing due to the decrease in live local black coral.

Island, mangrove, and nature tours can be scheduled through the front desk (additional cost). I have read several posts indicating that the “Extreme Canopy Tour” is worthwhile. My wife and I participated in a private relaxing horseback tour. We were picked up at FI by a guide from a local ranch. He was a kind gentleman and despite our language barrier, made a sincere effort to point out things along the ride as well as picking interesting fruits for us to try. Our adventure took us into the jungle, along the ocean, and through a small village. It was an enjoyable way to spend our day before flying home.

Zoo:
One night my wife and I went exploring and came across FI’s zoo. It was unattended and we simply walked in. The animals appear to be in good health despite living in conditions that are nothing short of appalling. The walkway is basically made up of decaying pallets. The cages are falling apart and reek of urine/feces. There are several small deer and goats that roam freely.

I moved to what I thought was a safe distance from the cage of a gorgeous Clouded Leopard (for a photo). A nanosecond after depressing the shutter button, the leopards paw lashed out through a gap in the cage and connected with my left hand. Before I knew it the leopard had sunk its hypodermic-like claws into my skin and proceeded to pull me toward the gap. By the grace of God, the leopard let go before pulling me into the cage. What a close call!

Several cages contain beautiful Toucan-like birds (I don’t know my birds). A bunch of Peacocks and two white geese freely roam the grounds of FI.
In my humble opinion, FI should either make the necessary repairs to the animals living conditions or donate the animals to an appropriate zoo.

Tipping: Bring a lot of small bills as tipping is frequent and expected. Should you forget to tip an individual, they will not hesitate to remind you, regardless of the quality/quantity of service provided.

Be aware that there is a $34 US/PP departure tax payable in cash only (at the airport).

Conclusion:
So, would we return to FI? At first we were rather ambivalent. Despite the negatives contained within this review, we would visit FI again. However, if given the opportunity to return to Roatan, we would probably chose a different resort simply because we would like to experience something different/new.

At first I thought this was going to be pretty easy to write up. As I started typing I realized that I could go on and on about our experience at FI. I’ve tried to balance positive and negative comments. I would welcome your questions and comments regarding FI, Roatan, and my review.

I put some photos up on Picasa tonight. Here's a link:
Picasa Web Albums - Ben - Fantasy Islan...

Fantasy Island Beach Resort
Fantasy Island Beach Resort Dive & Marina

Last edited:
:admingreet: :clapping:

thanks for the report! Your comments regarding FI are pretty much the same as I have heard from some friends who have been there. It sounds like you might have enjoyed CCV more - much smaller place with more personalized service.

You didn't mention anything about the actual dives though. What dives did you do? What was your favorite? What did you like best about the diving of Roatan? What did you like least? Tell us!!!:D

Thnx for the report

You didn't mention anything about the actual dives though. What dives did you do? What was your favorite? What did you like best about the diving of Roatan? What did you like least?

I wondered how long it would take for someone to call me out on this:D. I chose to not comment on the diving in Roatan because I figured that enough had been written about it.

In all honesty, there are only a hand full of dives that I vividly remember. This is not due to a lack of topography or aquatic life at a particular site...It's simply because I'm a dolt.

There are two sites that quickly come to mind (and again, this is just my humble opinion): I really did enjoy the wreck of Prince Albert. It's a completely different style of diving that many are not used to. As I said before, and RoatanMan echoes, you've got to take it extremely slow. RoatanMan suggests using a magnifying glass. the slower you go, the more you see.
I loved the dive so much that I did a few solo dives when I couldn't find a willing partner (yea, I know the risks). In particular, the area between the plane and the gazebo is the best IMHO. I found myself just sitting in one place for extended periods of time. This allowed the critters to get used to me. The longer I sat, the better because the critters would continue with their regular routines.

I also really liked Mary's Place. There was plenty to see at this site, and is a favorite of the DM. A large portion of the dive is within a huge crack so it's important that the divers don't kick up sand.

You know, I think it's pretty hard to say that one particular dive is better/worse than another. I say this because I've been on dives (not in Roatan) where we basically saw nothing. We returned to the same spot the following day only to be completely blown away.

Here's a list of the places I dove:
Connie's Dream
Valley of the Kings
Newman's wall
Mary's Place
40ft Point
Anka's Place
Missing Link
Calvin's Crack
Carib Point
Inside/Outside
Prince Albert
Big French Cay Bank
Little French Cay Wall to 40ft Point
Mr. Bud Wreck

I can say, without hesitation, that I enjoyed everything about diving in Roatan (aside from the few days with a bad DM). I really liked that we were able to dive our dive, which meant that I had longer dive times than what I had experienced at other resorts. At other resorts we were pretty much limited to 40 minute dive times (usually due to less experienced divers air consumption). I was absolutely stoked to do dives that were in excess of an hour.
As I said before, my last dive was 78 minutes. The only reason I returned to the boat was because the rest of the divers had been out of the water for 10 minutes and I felt bad that they were waiting. Even then, I returned with 900psi in the tank.

I really enjoyed the diversity of critters of Roatan. The coral and sponges are in really good shape (compared to Mexico and Jamaica).

I wondered how long it would take for someone to call me out on this:D. I chose to not comment on the diving in Roatan because I figured that enough had been written about it.

I can say, without hesitation, that I enjoyed everything about diving in Roatan (aside from the few days with a bad DM). I really liked that we were able to dive our dive, which meant that I had longer dive times than what I had experienced at other resorts. At other resorts we were pretty much limited to 40 minute dive times (usually due to less experienced divers air consumption). I was absolutely stoked to do dives that were in excess of an hour.
As I said before, my last dive was 78 minutes. The only reason I returned to the boat was because the rest of the divers had been out of the water for 10 minutes and I felt bad that they were waiting. Even then, I returned with 900psi in the tank.

I really enjoyed the diversity of critters of Roatan. The coral and sponges are in really good shape (compared to Mexico and Jamaica).

You may want to consider CoCo View next time. The DMs are not anal about bottom time. It sounds like Fantasy Island and CoCo View do roughly the same dives. And your description of the dive from the plane to the Gazebo sounds very similar to the Back Yard at CoCo View. I wan't wild about our accomodations at CoCo View (some belong to the resort, some don't- and ours sucked big time) but the diving was good.

Art

:D:D:D:D that's more like it. :D:D:D:D

BTW, nothing wrong with solo diving in my book as long as you are assuming the risk. I do solo dive occasionally as my hubby is an instructor - which means I can either sit out the dive, go with them and watch students do mask skills etc at 30' for half an hour, or I can go off and do a solo dive. This past weekend I did some of each (I got in 2 dives: 1 of which was solo, 1 with the AOW group, and lots of shore support as he had a class with many issues in and out of the water). :D Luckily, my hubby trusts me and doesn't worry at all about me diving solo anymore. He trusts my skill level and also knows that I am assuming the risk. :D

robin

Thanks for the write up. As you have said many people do write ups on Co-Co View but I haven't seen many on Fantasy Island.

Back
Top Bottom