Fantasy Island Resort Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I recall, Continental only had a single direct flight from Huston on something like a Tuesday (off season schedule). Naturally, this didn't work with our schedule. Therefore, we ended up catching a bunch of island hoppers.

If I remember correctly, we could have caught a puddle jumper from San Pedro directly to Roatan, but it was significantly more expensive than first flying to La Ciebre.

Don - since you haven't been to Roatan in 7 yrs, you might be interested to know that most flights go straight into Roatan without any stops over on mainland. Roatan has a full service international airport now. :D The only exceptions we found were in the off-season (Sept-Nov) when some flights made an extra stop on way back. Maybe a good reason for you to go back now!!:D

robin:D
CoCoView in Nov.
Oh, I've been back since then. Once to FIBR with a Lubbock dive shop, the time that I took the CCV boat in the attempt to go to Utila, and again to connect to a puddle jumper to Utila when I sponsored a singles group from SB. In 2001 we had to take Cont to Houston, then TACA to RTB, but the other two were on Cont's IAH-RTB non-stops. I begged all in my group to take that route, meet me in RTB before we all crossed together as I get very mother-henish about getting all there in such things - but two insisted on taking the cheaper flights including 2 connections on the mainland. Got 18 there ontime with all bags; the other 2 came in a day later, bags to follow.

My last trip was over 3 years ago tho; you're right, it's been too long. RTB was far from a modern airport then, maybe they've changed since then, but then - it was nice enough for a dive trip except when the electricity went out taking the AC with it. I kinda like the differences otherwise; helps get in the mood of island time.
As I recall, Continental only had a single direct flight from Huston on something like a Tuesday (off season schedule). Naturally, this didn't work with our schedule. Therefore, we ended up catching a bunch of island hoppers.

If I remember correctly, we could have caught a puddle jumper from San Pedro directly to Roatan, but it was significantly more expensive than first flying to La Ciebre.
That sounds odd as Cont Air has had the Saturday IAH-RTB flights for several years I thot? It flies there this month on Saturdays. Who knows?

Sounds like the experience I had in January. I enjoyed myself and dove a lot. I usually travel very frugally, so the so-so food and service I found acceptable, given my budget. I think I did all the same dives that Racer did. Don't miss the Prince Albert, right there, also there is a great shallow reef to the left of the pavillion from the PA, we snorkelled it one afternoon and saw so many eels, we lost count!

If I'm not mistaken (somebody correct me if I am), FIBR is owned by an Italian company. And unfortunately, when resorts are owned by companies (rather than individuals who are passionate about diving), they can be solely interested in the money coming in. Why give yourself the trouble of improving if "the money is coming in"?

I'm obviously speculating here. But the best dive operations I've seen were small and owned by very pasionnate people who desperately wanted you to have a great time! Big places just don't offer that.

Still, for the $$, it's still tempting! The only place i've found close for value is the Philippines!:D

Cheers!

Oh, most definitely. If the prices were any higher, there is no way on God's green earth that I would return.

I guess I'm still somewhat ambivalent. Like you, I would want to experience something different. Really, overall it wasn't a bad experience.

What bewilders me is that I would imagine the owners have probably read a review or two about their place. If they haven't, they either should or they shouldn't be owners. It wouldn't cost them a dime to make huge improvements in their food... It wouldn't cost a dime to train their staff to think/react to the needs of the customer and be friendly...

What I'm saying is that they could have a resort that needs some TLC, but if the staff is fantastic, the food is scrumptious (just examples), people will flock to stay.

It's like this little dive of a BBQ joint I know of. Really, in all honesty, the place is an absolute dump. It's clean, but really needs repairs. They are packed to the gills all night long; every single day of the week.

Why might you ask? The owners and staff treat you like family and the food is phenomenal.

My last trip was over 3 years ago tho; you're right, it's been too long. RTB was far from a modern airport then, maybe they've changed since then...

:rofl3:

Don, you got to get out more. RTB (Roatan) compares pretty favorably with the wonders of Manilla Philippines or Galapagos Baltra. I'm not saying it's good, just similar.

Of course, once you've been spoiled by Lubbock's Preston Smith LIA, it's all downhill from there. :eyebrow:

Oh, I've been back since then. Once to FIBR with a Lubbock dive shop, the time that I took the CCV boat in the attempt to go to Utila, and again to connect to a puddle jumper to Utila when I sponsored a singles group from SB. In 2001 we had to take Cont to Houston, then TACA to RTB, but the other two were on Cont's IAH-RTB non-stops. I begged all in my group to take that route, meet me in RTB before we all crossed together as I get very mother-henish about getting all there in such things - but two insisted on taking the cheaper flights including 2 connections on the mainland. Got 18 there ontime with all bags; the other 2 came in a day later, bags to follow.

My last trip was over 3 years ago tho; you're right, it's been too long. RTB was far from a modern airport then, maybe they've changed since then, but then - it was nice enough for a dive trip except when the electricity went out taking the AC with it. I kinda like the differences otherwise; helps get in the mood of island time.

That sounds odd as Cont Air has had the Saturday IAH-RTB flights for several years I thot? It flies there this month on Saturdays. Who knows?

We did the Continental flight at the end of August. It was Sat-Sat and they were in the process of cutting back from 2 flights on Saturday to 1. So getting back was the bigger issue as there were 1/2 as many seats available for the return flight.

My buddy had to take the regional puddle jumper to SAP on the return, and because the flight was full they left their bags behind. 6 weeks later and she is still trying to get them, and may require a flight to SAP to retrieve them.

As far as the age of the airport, I didn't see much modernization and with only a couple of people at immigration, it took over an hour to get through the process and to the resort. Probably the only real negative of our trip.

If I'm not mistaken (somebody correct me if I am), FIBR is owned by an Italian company. And unfortunately, when resorts are owned by companies (rather than individuals who are passionate about diving), they can be solely interested in the money coming in. Why give yourself the trouble of improving if "the money is coming in"?

I'm obviously speculating here. But the best dive operations I've seen were small and owned by very pasionnate people who desperately wanted you to have a great time! Big places just don't offer that.

Still, for the $$, it's still tempting! The only place i've found close for value is the Philippines!:D

Cheers!
Spaniards, I believe. And I have thot about investigating the smaller operators, but the West End backpack culture there is not my style. I need to look into the middle shopping area. Anthony's Key and CCV do not appeal to me at all.
:rofl3:

Don, you got to get out more. RTB (Roatan) compares pretty favorably with the wonders of Manilla Philippines or Galapagos Baltra. I'm not saying it's good, just similar.

Of course, once you've been spoiled by Lubbock's Preston Smith LIA, it's all downhill from there. :eyebrow:
Oh, I've been out a bit more than most west Texans, but yeah - it'd be nice to get back to Roatan. Last time I was there, getting in was a joke - I bypassed much of Immigration and Customs, but then why would they really care. There is the 6 month passport rule, but the airlines police that well. Leaving was much like George described: not enough agents to collect the Departure fees, which is all they're really doing. Also remember they had difficulties with electricity; not a fun airport in the dark with no AC. Lubbock's airport (LBB, altho the hokey newspaper there does call it LIA) is really quite modern and functional in comparison. Did find a nice bottle of French Sauternes at the airport store tho, and that is getting impossible to find.

Last edited:
When I was there, the airport had power, but they couldn't print a receipt at the duty free store that would have let me get a bottle through customs in the US.

"Duty free?" Ha! It's the same as buying it in town. You should have hand written one; for Honduras, it would have been as legitimate.

When I was there, the airport had power, but they couldn't print a receipt at the duty free store that would have let me get a bottle through customs in the US.

Pieces of paper, receipts and such- are irrelevant when re-entering the US. US Customs doesn't care other than you are importing a specific product. Just list what you are bringing back. Unless you act like a butt weasel, they will let you bring back excessive amounts, just declare it and smile. I have never seen them enforce the limit on the number of bottles (as the law specifically dictates), even though you have a bit more booze than allowed, but carrying them in many 500ml bottles. Obvious gifts and not for US resale.

The lights go out in Roatan, or at least they used to go out in the airport... because they were many many months behind in paying their electric bill. That $33 exit fee that you throw down goes right to the mainland central government in Tegucigalpa.

Honduras is always" highly rated": Corrupt Nations- and the winner is... :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom