Fantasy Island Resort Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really kick myself for not making the trek over to CCV. I would have liked to be able to compare and contrast the two establishments.

Although, I don't know that I could have done an adequate job being that I wouldn't have been an actual guest at CCV.

While exploring FI, we came upon a building, which housed a decompression chamber. The door was locked, so we didn't get the chance to check it out.

At the beginning of the week we were asked to donate $2US/day toward the dive chamber. Therefore, I'm assuming that it was operable. We weren't sure who ran the chamber or where they were located. I'm sure that Doc knows more about it.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to some dive photos I took during our trip (on Picasa):
http://picasaweb.google.com/yelloduc/ScubaDivingRoatanHonduras2008#

The operational chamber that solicits for the contributions is over at Anthony's Key, I believe. It largely is used to service Moskito Divers, those who commercially harvest critters for food off of the reef. Secondarily, some DM's are patients, and of course, a few unlucky guests.

DAN certainly covers any chamber ride, but with this donation, there's no muss or fuss, and you are contributing to the health and future of the DM's.

From SUBWAY WATERSORTS:

Recompression Chamber on Roatan

There are two hyperbaric chambers on Roatan. One on the north side and the other only 10 minutes away form our dive shop on the south side.

Both chambers have a doctor present from 8 am to 5 pm daily and on call 24 hours daily.

Divers are encouraged to visit the chamber and make a donation of $2.00 per diving day or $ 12 per week. Each diver contributing in the Diver Safety Plan will be 100% covered, in the event of any type of decompression sickness, for treatment in their Hyperbaric Chamber, as well as for any other diving related medical service required.

Non participating diver/chamber patients will be charged at the standard rate of :

US $80.00 Ambulance, Physician and EMT call.

US $80.00 for the initial Physician’s neurological evaluation and for each subsequent evaluation.

US $40.00 for each I.V. + US $30.00 for each bag of fluids.

Recompression oxygen therapy is charged at the standard rate of US $400.00/hr, which includes one inside tender and one outside diving medical supervisor. Treatment usually is a minimum of 5 hours – US $2000.00

Rates are subject to change.

Be aware that DAN and PADI insurance is a secondary, not a primary service. DAN & PADI encourage the support of local chambers.

Your support is very much needed to keep this vital part of the dive community in operation – Remember nobody plans to need the chamber, however it is most reassuring to know it is there if you need it.

Maybe someone who is local can get us the current story, but I recall something about the FIBR unit being non-operational, and something about it not being regularly staffed as the AKR unit is.

Ah, yes! I remember reading this when I was at FI's dive shop. Thanks!

Boats: FI has 4 dive boats and a small transport boat to bring divers back from the dive gazebo. As a side note, you can request that tanks be delivered to the gazebo for shore or night diving. The 4 dive boats appear to be well maintained and accommodate, by my estimates, 20 divers. I witnessed emergency medical equipment being brought aboard every morning. Water entry is via giant-stride from the stern. A drag line was present, but was only utilized during windy/wavy conditions. Two, clearly labeled thirty gallon buckets are on-board; one for masks and the other for camera equipment ( [sarcasm mode on] Unless the DM deems the camera tank acceptable for use as his personal clothes washer).

Food/restaurants
FI has two restaurants. Breakfast and dinner are served in the main building. Weather permitting; lunch is served in an open-air restaurant located next to the beach.

Breakfast was the best meal of the day, which included staples such as pancakes, bacon, eggs, cereals, toast, omelets made to order…

My wife and I rated dinner at a 2/5. Overall, the food was not very good, but there were a few exceptional items worth mentioning. The highlight of the week was the all-you-can-eat lobster night. I was more than happy to do my part by dispatching 6 tails.

I was there in Jan 2006 and your review sounds like the same place I stayed at... No real changes. I thought the food was a tad better than what you thought. I would have said 3/5. One thing I really wanted to know about are the boats. They were always breaking down when we were there. Didn't miss any dives, but crappy maintenance on the old boats. Other reviewers said that the owner said they are supposed to get new boats, but I think that is a load of crap. Supposedly the resort was renovated and the old chef was brought in to bring back the quality of the food. Doesn't sound like anything was done other than spin some rumors. Too bad.

I thought the boats were in good condition and none of them had any issues while we were there.

I saw them opening the engine compartments of the boats on a daily basis. I can't tell you what they were doing though. But I'm assuming they were checking fluid levels and whatnot.

The operational chamber that solicits for the contributions is over at Anthony's Key, I believe

We just got back from AKR on Saturday (I will try to write up a quick review when I get time). AKR did not actually solicit contributions for their chamber. They had a simple check box on their check in forms at the resort. We could choose to buy the insurance for $12 or not. We got a chance to spend some time talking to an EMT while we were on the resort who helped design the chamber. As Rotanman says, most of their business is from local lobster divers (they had 2 in the chamber that week, one of which was likely going to remain paralized). He said, other than the lobster divers, who dive crazy profiles, the main thing to be concerned with while diving is to reamin hydrated.

Russell

Racer, great report!:coffee: It fits exactly what I experienced in october 2006! All the way down to the food...:shakehead:

I'm not sure I'll return, just because there are other places to see. And overall, when I factor in the price I paid, the value of Fantassy island is great! It's not the greatest dive resort... But for the price, I find it hard to beat!!!!

Cheers!

Oh, most definitely. If the prices were any higher, there is no way on God's green earth that I would return.

I guess I'm still somewhat ambivalent. Like you, I would want to experience something different. Really, overall it wasn't a bad experience.

What bewilders me is that I would imagine the owners have probably read a review or two about their place. If they haven't, they either should or they shouldn't be owners. It wouldn't cost them a dime to make huge improvements in their food... It wouldn't cost a dime to train their staff to think/react to the needs of the customer and be friendly...

What I'm saying is that they could have a resort that needs some TLC, but if the staff is fantastic, the food is scrumptious (just examples), people will flock to stay.

It's like this little dive of a BBQ joint I know of. Really, in all honesty, the place is an absolute dump. It's clean, but really needs repairs. They are packed to the gills all night long; every single day of the week.

Why might you ask? The owners and staff treat you like family and the food is phenomenal.

Thanks for the report. Haven't seen one lately and it's been too long since I've been there. It was my first International dive trip destination Sept 9-15, 2001 with that infamous Tuesday making it unfortunately too easy to remember the exact dates. Getting back to the US was an adventure. Doesn't sound like it's changed much since then or my second trip there a few years later. I certainly prefer the one connection with Continental in Houston on the days they go and return.

Were you not very vocal about the shortcomings? Yes, you knew you weren't at at 5-star, but you also recognized shortcomings well before you said anything on some points, and you didn't mention requesting changes on others. A lot of things you want to just accept when visiting a new dive location, I know - but things like security on your sliding door, shower head, short dives...?

Oh, don't mind the Cocoheads here. They do have a good resort I'm sure, and they have a strong PR system on the net, but many of us prefer the FIBR style.
I thought the boats were in good condition and none of them had any issues while we were there.

I saw them opening the engine compartments of the boats on a daily basis. I can't tell you what they were doing though. But I'm assuming they were checking fluid levels and whatnot.
Glad to hear that. I can accept mediocre food easier than bad boats and they have had their problems - none that affected me, but heard of some now and then. On my last trip there, I took a CCV boat toward Utila that never made it beyond Roatan as their transmission failed. I'd already been upset about the channel crossing without PFDs (grabbed a couple off of my FIBR boat), then that, then them pouring fluid into the engine compartment with no fire extinguishers aboard. I check boats out on boarding closer now, and compressors on arrival now - but that's another story.

Love the bats flying around the lunchroom! Helps control the mosquitoes and I'm sure there is not risk as long as one doesn't touch an ill one on the ground - just report it. Don't remember any monkeys on my trips, guess they're new, but no way would I play with one - especially with rabies possible in the tropics. The Roatan "rabbits" were cute as were the free range iguanas. Hehe, I left a canvas bag open to dry in my locker one night and found a load of iguana manure in it. :shocked2: Funny lizards. The zoo sounds sad.

Don - since you haven't been to Roatan in 7 yrs, you might be interested to know that most flights go straight into Roatan without any stops over on mainland. Roatan has a full service international airport now. :D The only exceptions we found were in the off-season (Sept-Nov) when some flights made an extra stop on way back. Maybe a good reason for you to go back now!!:D

robin:D
CoCoView in Nov.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom