false logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ItsBruce:
Wow, look at that, avatars change retroactively!!!
Yep, when you change Avatars, it changes on all of your posts ever.

I see that Martha has had a post removed? Post count 3, posts available 2. But that could be for any number of reasons, duplication, etc. I have to question, tho:

(1) Why the logs shows she was hurt when dancing when according to her story she was injured after helping as assisted?

(2) Why the Op will not release the insurance carrier's name to her - why the red tape put off?

(3) Why CobaltDiver is here posting hear-say remarks alleged to come from the Op?

I'm just really confused. I broke a rib once and it hurt a lot, especially with some activities. Her HMO asked her to obtained the name of the ins carrier, and it's a reasonable thing for her to ask for that. Why the hiding? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Andy:

Common carriers have very high duties of making the ride safe. Its not necessarily strict liability, but close. In the case of Gomez v. Superior Court (2005) 35 Cal. 4th 1125, the California Supreme Court held that Disneyland was a common carrier with respect to its roller coasters and had a duty of "utmost care" such that a woman who died allegedly as a result of being violently shaken during a ride could maintain a cause of action. If that were the case, then I could see a dive boat being in the same posture.

As to Jones Act, being asked by the captain to help out in ship's operation could make one a de facto crewman. Under the Jones Act, as I recall it, if one is injured, it is essentially assumed that it was because of negligence by the owner.

Jones Act: one of the prongs is that the contact by the seaman with the vessel
is more than "casual." it has to be "consistent" or "on-going." in other
words, a well-established crew member. i don't think she'll qualify.

can a waiver over-ride the common carrier's duty?

i am pretty sure if she signed a waiver, nothing short of gross negligence or
reckless misconduct can void that waiver, even if the dive boat is
a common carrier. otherwise, all those waivers are not worth the paper
they are printed on.

yeah, but i don't do personal injury, so i don't really know what i'm talking about

H2Andy:
yeah, but i don't do personal injury, so i don't really know what i'm talking about

Well if its you or a pit bull...:D :D

hey, pit bulls have feelings too

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom