Fall MegaDive Oct 19-21, Ginnie Springs, Turkey Roost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard:
Perhaps they could move Vortoberfest and join us at Ginnie for Mega-Dive ?
After all these events are still over 2 months away.
That's my 2 cents on this issue.

Almost certainly not possible for most of the attendants at Vortoberfest. Vortoberfest is centralized between quite a few of the more populated Dixie Diver areas like Alabama and Georgia and very close(obviously) to the panhandle FL divers who typically make up the events. Especially for the central and north Alabama divers who regularly attend Vortoberfest, I doubt they want to tag on an extra 4 hours of driving to the 4 or 5 hours of driving they are already doing. Vortoberfest has always been planned for the 3rd weekend of the month - these dates have not changed over the three years the event has been held. Its seems to me that the MegaDive has a more flexible scheduling of the two. Lastly, I don't think anyone wants to dissolve our Vortoberfest event as it has grown every year and gets quite a bit of participants.

No offense to mania, but it seems silly to change a date for one person when it makes it impossible for several others(read as any Vortoberfest participant who is interested in the Megadive) to attend.

I typically can't make spring Megadives as they are during some of the busier points in my work year. I guess this will be the second year in a row I miss out on the MegaDive :( Maybe next time. I was hoping to get in a few cave dives with some of you guys though...

Yeah, I mean, if we re going to ask them to move and come to us, we should also consider having us move and go to them. :)

Personally, I'm ok with a Megadive on either weekend, and would probably come to both weekends. Only issue is money, and if we could have a cleanup dive with rewards from Ginnie for it, that'd take careof that issue :)

Gee
guys, you really don't have to change the whole schedules just becasue I'm coming....

I'm deeply touched by your effort, but this is not the last MegaDive (I hope so). So I still have a chance to attend one

Mania

I know it is generally advisable not to book two events on the same weekend..but sometimes it just happens due to circumstance. Sometimes us divers have to make choices. :)

Heck...it seems like almost every weekend since I've become certified has been a choice of go here and dive, or go there and dive. I'm afraid I don't see how this is any different, just on a larger scale with more people.

Shouden:
I'm afraid I don't see how this is any different, just on a larger scale with more people.

That makes all the difference in the world.

Not making this event doesn't end my plans to dive the central and N. Fla springs, but it definately makes it more difficult to get the dives in with so many available divers. I've been to the Megadives in '04 and '05, its not just the dives that get me over there, its the comradery. I can say the same for the, mostly different, group that meets for Vortoberfest. If I have to choose between them, I choose my local get-together that has a consistant date that I've been planning on for the past 3 years.

Ok, folks, after much careful deliberation (which means I popped the cap off of a beer, threw it up in the air, and called "Sharp side for earlier!" before it fell) I have come to a decision on the date.

BTW, I am still kind of puzzled just how I ended up being the engine on the MegaDive train. A caboose is much more my style, that way I can keep an eye on Andy, and make sure he doesn't get into the livestock cars. I dunno.

The dates are the 19th thru the 21st.

My apologies to those who had planned to attend, but find themselves unable to with the change in schedule. I really wish that we could accommodate everyone, as I have never met anyone at a MegaDive that I didn't like, except for Ken's alter ego, but that is a story for another time.

The MegaDive event is held twice a year, and we move the date around to best fit everyone on a year to year basis. Hopefully anyone that is not able to join us this year will be able to next spring or fall.

I will be getting in touch with Ginnie Springs tomorrow to reserve the regular camping area, down by the Devil's Springs. I will also PM a moderator to get the thread title and original post changed to reflect the date change.

Hmmm...Lets see ...

Did a dive today up the Bone room/Big Room line.
(4 of us)
Viz right now in Ginnie is spectacular.
I hope it stays that way.
Flow is starting to come up a little bit.

David:
Any help you need , PLEASE let me know !
You know , I can help with the reservations etc.

Rock Slug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom