Fall diving - East Coast in a wet suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to extend my diving season into the fall. I know this is subjective as to one's tolerance to the cold but in general curious to know how realistic it is to dive a wet 6.5 semi dri into the fall in the East Coast Mid Atlantic region at the local quarries. Does anyone do this ? thoughts?

Depends on what your definition of cold is, as well as your personal cold tolerance. I’ve dived Lake Michigan to 43F and the local quarry to about 45F in a 7mm. But I’m a polar bear and widely considered on SB to be crazy. :D

So if you’re talking 50s, that’s nothing to me! :wink:

Two Different issues. Mid Atlantic as in the Ocean. Ocean temps generally do not cool down or cool down appreciably until after the fall so what you dive with in the summer should be fine in the fall. My experience is southern NE and I dive a 5mil through Oct. Quarries are a whole other issue. Do you dive them now and well into the thermoclines? The temps on the surface in the fall will still be warmer than the what is below in the thermoclines.

To clarify my question. My concern is not the water during the dive but the much colder weather during surface intervals etc in that Oct-Nov time frame.. Usually come late sept I hang up my fins until next April but this year I want to continue to dive as late as possible. Unfortunately due to the cost related a move to a dry suit is not in the cards this year. Strictly looking at quarry diving.

fall? no issues. I know people diving in New england in westuits in late Nov.

If the surface intervals are your concern, get a good coat such as a Surf-Fur. Well worth every penny of the $150 I paid for it. Blocks the wind and is water proof. Very warm.

Yeah I dive mostly quarries on most weekends ..well into the thermoclines. Most dives in the 60-70 foot range. Occasionally deeper.

Thanks for the feedback this is making my day. Going to check out this Surf-Fur coat. My AOW instructor had one years ago... looked warm.

On cold days and a shorter SI or on a boat keep your wetsuit on and cover up with a gortex parka. On a longer SI you could take the suit off and put it someplace warm. For air temps in the 40s or below if I’m at a quarry I strip off the suit and put it in a cooler full of warm water.

Last edited:
For shore diving, a small pop-up beach changing tent is good protection from the ocean winds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom