Failsafe Diving With Poseidon’s New Oxygen Solid State Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well imho there are various scenarios on how to use the cell, it got a lot to do with its reliability obviously...
is the method more reliable than voting logic? then get rid of it...
or could be as a verification against the voting logic with a second logic... we will see what comes up in the near future

So.... Would you use it int he 4th cell position, out of the voting logic as indication only? I'm dying to know if Shearwater has one, and if they are writing firmware to monitor it....

I think that's the way most retrofits will end up going. A t-piece mount with some simple electronics and a independent readout.

Keep in mind that because of the nature of them, anything Shearwater does firmwarewise will only function with their DiveCAN hardware, but won't do anything for their normal hardwired or Fischer-connected hardware. Digital only at this point, but those guys diving DiveCAN-type rebreathers should theoretically be able to utilize these with just some firmware changes to their current hardware to account for the specific output of the sensors.

One of the things I like about the Pelagian with a 3rd cell is that you run the 3rd cell independent of the other two, in case there's an issue with one that influences the other cell. The PO2 readout on the Pelagian handset is solely PO2, same with the single 3rd cell on the Predator.

3 independent cells with lifetime calibration and reliability would be excellent primarily because in theory they'd never be wrong, and you'd never have to question the voting logic voting out a functional 3rd cell while running the electronics off of two bad cells. Theoretically you've removed all of the cell-related failure modes that cause diver deaths. This all being predicated on them actually functioning and actually holding calibration, and actually being linear and actually being reliable. However, I don't beta test rebreather stuff. That's for guys with bigger brass ones than I.

I worked with a lady who measures stack gas in refineries. Actually, she doesn't measure anything, she designs the instruments that measure stack gas in refineries. She recently did one that measures 100 different compounds for less than $10K, the device lasts 5 years. I asked if we could miniaturize it for air compressors (CO, O2, hydrocarbons, etc) in real time instead of every 6 months.

Try to sell a $10k piece of safety equipment to someone in the scuba industry.

Back
Top Bottom