Shearwater and the Poseidon Solid State Sensor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You’d have to be an established business to even get a quote from them; I’ll keep trying.

Also, @Shearwater, semi-annual bump; even better — wanna hire me to work on the project? Right up my alley actually

There you go - 435 Euro including 19% VAT. These are the same as Poseidon (also made by Pyro Science). Just w/o Poseidon firmware (so if you have a Poseidon breather you still need 1400 USD one xD)

As for Shearwater...0 interest policy seem to continue unfortunately. Why, I have no clue, given that DiveCAN would be literally perfect for this, and all that is needed is indeed a software update so they can talk to each other.

I assume Shearwater's stance is more like "zero public announcement so far" rather than "zero interest". I have specifically asked several SW people and always gotten silence rather than "no". But beyond that I have no further inside information. There are many challenges beyond the engineering that could delay (but not necessarily stop) a company like SW doing this. Deals between companies, mitigating legal and reputation risk, extensive testing and certification all take time to manage.

And anyway, Shearwater's strength has never been about first mover advantage on new tech, but rather developing the very best implementation of things.

I assume Shearwater's stance is more like "zero public announcement so far" rather than "zero interest". I have specifically asked several SW people and always gotten silence rather than "no". But beyond that I have no further inside information. There are many challenges beyond the engineering that could delay (but not necessarily stop) a company like SW doing this. Deals between companies, mitigating legal and reputation risk, extensive testing and certification all take time to manage.

And anyway, Shearwater's strength has never been about first mover advantage on new tech, but rather developing the very best implementation of things.

I do hope what you are saying is true, but I've just realized this topic was started in January 2019...that is a 5 year silence now. And they are also aware about the existence of the PyroScience sensors w/o Poseidon firmware (as above) since at least January 2023 (at least that is when Dive Rite said they brought that to their attention...)
So yeah, silence is a bit deafening. Sadly their firmware is not open source like OSTC (hwOS3) for example.

Reactions: OTF

Back
Top Bottom