Failed PADI Rescue....now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doesn't mean that in my book Simon but as soon as the instructor realized OP was going to hold up the other students, then instructor should have had a sensitive discussion with OP and OP let out of the class instead of pretending to train him while just dragging him/her through to be failed in the end. If instructor had have had that discussion with OP and OP opted to continue in spite of being told the score, that's a different situation.

Hi there, I'm so sorry to hear you failed your PADI rescue. From my experience, you don't need to scuba dive to experience the underwater wonders. If you live near the coast somewhere (and the water isn't sub zero or chocolate brown of course) rather go for a snorkel. All you need is a mask and snorkel. Even if you're snorkeling in a shallow bathtub of a rock pool, I promise you will be amazed. Here's an interesting read Tidal Tao - Why I'm amazed more people don't snorkel and some good reasons to start if you don't

Cheers Michy.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I haven't been able to dive since I did this course due to other commitments (and a new girlfriend) but I will be communicating with the other instructors shorty as to what I need to do to finish the course. I would imagine that the extra cost will be minimal, as they aren't in the business to rob you.

Not to open an old thread, but I would like to add some addition info given to me by the instructor that will be doing the course this month. I already have my e-learning course completed from last year but ibwas told that it will expire this year and I have to take the course over again + pay the $185 course fee. This doesn't make sense as the transcript from my course has no expiry and I can access it at any time though the e-learning site. I still have to pay for the open water part of the course which is $275 so I'm not sure what to do at this point. I haven't done enough dives this year to feel confident enough to do the course again, but if I don't it seems I will lose the online course and have to do that again plus the cost of the other training. In the end it seems I've wasted money in doing the course in the first place and not passing it, now having to pay for the entire cost of the course over again. Does this seem right to you? Should I just pay to take the course again in a week's time or wait until I'm more confident?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I'd find another instructor. You still have the knowledge in your head. A little refreshing yes may be in order. But to have to retake the on line portion and pay for it just smacks of greed.

---------- Post added September 6th, 2015 at 01:04 PM ----------

Just an FYI, a quick perusal of my website will show class prices that are in line with my area or much higher in the case of advanced and specialty classes. Except for one. That is the Rescue class I offer. Other shops are charging what your does or more. Mine is 175.00 for the classroom, pool sessions, materials, and OW portion and I will put the class on for two students.
This is because I think it's the most important after OW and should be the first class taken after OW. Class price for a Rescue class should never be a factor that would discourage someone from taking it.

Edited to delete my incorrect assumptions.

:D

Last edited:
From the PADI Instructor Manual:

"eLearning™ PADI eLearning® is an online learning tool available for some PADI courses and programs. Divers who complete a PADI eLearning program have met all or most of the knowledge development requirements for the program, and may be required to take a quick review with an instructor. eRecords verify requirements met and expire within one year of the last knowledge development section completed."

From the PADI Instructor Manual:

"eLearning™ PADI eLearning® is an online learning tool available for some PADI courses and programs. Divers who complete a PADI eLearning program have met all or most of the knowledge development requirements for the program, and may be required to take a quick review with an instructor. eRecords verify requirements met and expire within one year of the last knowledge development section completed."

Guess I should have looked in the "eLearning" section rather than in the "Rescue Diver" section.

:D

Interestingly, however, is there a tacit assumption that there is no expiry of classroom knowledge development and paper KRs and exams?

As someone who has been in the "Ed Bis" since 1984, I would surmise from looking at the PADI curricula and how they are designed, that the PADI courses use what is called "Mastery Learning." From Wikipedia:
"Mastery Learning (or as it was initially called, “learning for mastery”) is an instructional strategy and educational philosophy, first formally proposed by Benjamin S. Bloom in 1968. Mastery Learning maintains that students must achieve a level of mastery (i.e. 90% on a knowledge test) in prerequisite knowledge before moving forward to learn subsequent information. If a student does not achieve mastery on the test, they are given additional support in learning and reviewing the information, then tested again. This cycle will continue until the learner accomplishes mastery, and may move on to the next stage.
Mastery learning methods suggest that the focus of instruction should be the time required for different students to learn the same material and achieve the same level of mastery. This is very much in contrast with classic models of teaching, which focus more on differences in students' ability and where all students are given approximately the same amount of time to learn and the same set of instructions."

It seems as though you should have been given more opportunities to master the skills and that your time required might be longer than other students which should have been OK. It has taken my wife and me more than the stated number of dives to perform all of the required skills in some of the PADI classes, so we just did extra dives (that we paid for additional). We recently just passed the Rescue Diver course and it was tough for us. (I thought they were going to have to rescue US instead of the person playing the victim:D ). I do not understand why you must wait 6 months before doing it again. Is that what the instructor said or is it entirely because of your own situation? You might ask the shop for a different instructor if that is possible. Good luck to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom