Failed Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they are still supposed to wait for it to stabilize, 30 seconds is the minimum, but not the only duration. Not doing that will lead to numbers indicating a failure....

Simply stated, they are going too fast in order to be within the money they charge.... consumer looses...
Where in the report is it implying they are going too fast?

Tanks fail, I never though my rights were being trampled, I’ve even failed my own tanks after they get a clear hydro, speaking of the bad alloy aluminum tanks, I personally don’t care to have a hipressure bomb strapped to my back, if a tank is at all questionable I get rid of it.

I agree. I've stated it... I'd rather it fail than go off on my kids back.

they are still supposed to wait for it to stabilize, 30 seconds is the minimum, but not the only duration. Not doing that will lead to numbers indicating a failure....

Simply stated, they are going too fast in order to be within the money they charge.... consumer looses...

With that said what do you think is ideal period? I feel like the guy is willing to work with me as long as it's within guidlines. 60 seconds @ 85%?

So is the failed tank going to become a............

* Lamp
* Bell / bong
* Mailbox
* Hotdog grill
* Curb marker
* Firing target
* 98 cents scrap cash
* Umbrella stand
* Yard artwork

:D....I'm thinking. I just replaced my mailbox so that's out. I need to look around and see... I'm not a very artsy person. I'll have to steal somebody's cool idea. Maybe a bell.

I have a buddy that does really cool tattoos. He owns an art gallery. He might be willing to paint something cool on it.

I still hold a fine example of this. A tank that was failed at the first requalification. I know the tank since purchase, no overfill, no excessive heat, and maybe a dozen controlled fills (not a hot fill), Even the manufactures said there is no way it failed...

Talking with manufacturers, stabilization can take up to (from experience) five minutes... Not that all do or will. They just need to watch the gauge, not the clock....

When you say stabilize you mean the tank stretches and settles to whatever it's supposed to? 5 minutes is a long time to ask a business to wait.

I lost a $300 (or more) tank....

That's scary. That's a bad day.

Again, do it right.....and charge what it costs do do it right...
Not sure what the OP is paying, but my local tester (who does most shops' hydros on contract but also does retail) charges over $30 retail nowadays. That's without a scuba vip, o2 cleaning, valve cleaning, o-ring, fill, etc. They are in Seattle, not the cheapest property to own or staff to pay. But really makes me wonder about the $8 hydros people boast about getting.

I'm happy to pay, they have failed 2 of my (I have 40+ tanks so this is well over 200+ hydros) in almost 20 years of diving here and I was grateful they pulled them from service.

Back
Top Bottom