Faber Galvanized Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

you can tell by touch whether it is HDG zinc or painted. the top coat for painted feels smooth. visually, that tank looks to be the grey painted version.

Definitely looks like the painted, not the hot-dipped galvanized ones I have. The hot-dipped have a slightly less consistent matte finish and are rougher, while those look shiny.

The confusion might be over the term "galvanization" and between zinc being applied as part of the painting process, or via dipping the actual tank in molten zinc, as I understand the hot-dipped process to be.

Various steel tanks are out of stock right now due to shipping issues and covid related stuff.

The hot dipped galvanized one might not be available.

Thats probably what they did, shipped the painted cause they had it in stock. However, specifically what I ordered stated
"hot dipped galvanized". Just did the return procedures. Looks like they will b covering the return shipping....

I saw a brand new Faber HDG HP100 Sunday at Force-E in Riviera Beach. I almost bought it just because they’re so hard to get currently. I really don’t need another. But they wanted $439 and that seemed high. DGX sells them for $350 I think, when they have them. I passed on it.

I think all genuine scuba spec steel Fabers are corrosion inhibited, usually with a zinc cold metal spray, which uses a plasma gun like a TIG welding touch to vapourise a zinc wire and deposit it on the bare steel of the tank, forming a smooth, very well bonded layer. It's called a "cold" process because despite the zinc getting hot enough to be vapourised, the tank itself stays cold!

That layer is then painted over.

That's a painted tank. The painted Fabers are galvanized under the paint. Galvanized tanks look very shiny and silvery when new and fade to a duller silvery/grey as they are used. My painted Fabers still look great after years of in water use and being stored outside.

That's a painted tank. The painted Fabers are galvanized under the paint. Galvanized tanks look very shiny and silvery when new and fade to a duller silvery/grey as they are used. My painted Fabers still look great after years of in water use and being stored outside.

Saltwater or Fresh? That makes a huge difference. Saltwater eats painted tanks for breakfast.

Back
Top Bottom