Faber Galvanized Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FloridaMan

Registered
Reaction score
I just purchased a new Faber HP130. The the product description and what I ordered was galvanized. However, the finish of the tank seems a bit shinier than I though galvanized should be. Is there a way to tell from the roll markings if it is indeed galvanized? If not is there a different way to ensure I got the correct galvanized tank?

The new galvanized steel fabers I’ve seen are pretty shinny. Not the nice dull gray of Worthingtons. But even new Worthingtons were a bit shinny. Give it 100 dives or so and it’ll be a pretty dull gray.

Ok so I took the tank into my dive shop and they said that it is not galvanized but painted. They determined this just by visually looking at the outside. When I say the outside is shiny, it looks like it has a clear coat. I compared it next to some smaller Faber galvanized tanks in the shop and against some painted, it definitely looks painted. Is there no way to tell on the outside of the tank whether or not it is galvanized? The QR code on the tank doesn't pull up anything other than the number 20039200115. Did Faber start doing a more clearcoat looking galvanized finish? I think I may just send this back to leisurepro, but will have to eat shipping...

That is an interesting point, but they are sold as "hot dipped galvanized". That article is says that plating and hot dipped galvanized are different

Here is pics of the tank and the roll markings. The outside of the tank is shiny and uniform (no little "pitting" in the outside) . It did not look like the new hot dipped galvanized Faber's the shop had for sale.
O0XPd7P.jpg

M0mhcNR.jpg

9aApKDA.jpg

xc9hUTu.jpg

bSchCv9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom