Faber Fx 80 vs XSScuba HP 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few notes about my Faber 80s - two of my friends and I purchased six Faber 80s in 2000 they came with boots and were painted black from the factory. All were set up as doubles using stainless brackets and I put a stainless hose clamp with d rings on each side. I mostly dive the Gulf of Mexico but have done some freshwater caves in FLA. I spend a lot of time using salt away and rinsing my tanks and gear after every trip. My buddy told me that he has had nothing but problems with rust on his set which he keeps in Cayman. I inspected mine and found that the bottoms (removed the boots) were rusted, I couldnt see the extent because the paint was held on by the boots once I took the boots off the paint - all of the paint on the bottom - flaked away showing the extent of the rust. The rest of the tanks look ok but the bottom looks bad. I just sent them to get blasted and dipped. I called the third friend who took his tank boots off and found the same flaky paint and rust on his - that is 6 for 6.

I am going to buy a set of the Xs tanks - not painted - I believe that paint hides potential damage - and I will take the boots off at least once a year - perhaps when I get the vis done.

I'm not defending Faber, but I think their newer FX tanks are holding up better.

I **THINK** there was a recall on Faber tanks many years ago because of the bottoms of them rusting out. (someone else might have more details than I do).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom