Exposure suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently ditched the wetsuit and went dry, but if I was going wet it would be 5mm with a hood. However, I have very little "natural insulation" so have a low cold tolerance. :)

Florida native in ft lauderdale area. I'm layering a 3mm shorty under a full 3mm, also wearing a beanie since the hoods make me cringe. I've still been pretty cold sadly. I wish I had a 5mm or 7mm wetsuit but not ready to buy one. Good luck with your dives!

I just got back. I did shore dives from LBTS and boat dives out of Pompano Beach. I was comfortable in a 3mm shorty with water in the low-mid 70’s.

The only reason I picked the 3mm shorty up is that I was cooking in my full 5mm my first day at LBTS (it was about 75*)

If I’d gotten there a couple weeks later, I could have probably gotten by with the 5mm.

Hi @Barnaby’sDad. You sir have either a bit more insulation or a hardier constitution that I do.:)

I trust that you had some enjoyable dives and a pleasant visit to our little corner of the US.

The water temp is now in the low 70s, I'm diving my 7mm with a hooded vest, I'm not too warm, maybe only one of the warm enough divers these days. I would suggest a good boat coat for the SI also.

Hi @Barnaby’sDad. You sir have either a bit more insulation or a hardier constitution that I do.:)

I trust that you had some enjoyable dives and a pleasant visit to our little corner of the US.

I believe it's the combination of a fair amount of natural insulation and the fact that I'm from New England stock.:D

I will say that the locals that were wearing 3mm suits all commented on the water being chilly.

I considered myself to be pretty cold tolerant before today. The switch from 82* at Key Largo on Saturday and 22* in Virginia today is a shock to the system.

I had a great visit and I can't wait to go back.
:cheers:

I wear a 5mm with a hooded vest in the winter and I'm fine into the low 70s for an hour dive.

The issue really isn't the water temps but the surface conditions. If it's sunny, calm and seasonable, you will be comfortable on the surface between dives. If you're shore diving and doing just one long dive than surface conditions don't matter as much. But if you're boat diving and it is one of those windy, "chilly" days in the 50s-60s it can be pretty brutal between dives. Be sure and have a nice wind-proof coat to wear over your wetsuit on days like that.

i'm wearing a 5mm with neoprene cap for the winter....low seventies this past weekend beach and boat dives.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom