Exposure protection for Kona liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 5 mil should be nice and toasty. We were diving this past Saturday and used just a Lavacore top and bottom. It got a little chilly near the end of the dive.

The water temp in New England never gets to 75 and there are plenty of people who dive all summer without drysuits.
I use a 3mm if the temp is a toasty 70.

After consulting with a few more people (including one of the instructors at my LDS, who previously taught in Hawaii), I ended up just bringing the 5mm, with a drysuit hood, Lavacore top, and some neoprene pocket shorts. While some of the initial cold shocks before the water in the suit had a chance to heat up were pretty chilly (mitigated somewhat after I wisened up and started prefilling my wetsuit with hot shower water before dives), overall the combination of all those pieces was sufficiently warm enough to last me all 27 dives. I definitely appreciated the Lavacore top though - I tried diving without it and regretted it that dive.

Thanks to everyone who responded for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom