Expelled PADI instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the BS here is trying to build an argument where you have no facts to speak of. you sound very much like another disgruntled instructor or friend of another disgruntled instructor.

Sounds like the poor little wannabee is trying to start a fight. Disgruntled? No, not even worried about it. You worry about your business and hope no one gets pissy with you about something someday and Ill worry about mine.

see above comment - again vague accusations to justify one own lacking behavior

This entire thread was about someone wanting to know if they should ask an instructor what happened and turned into everyone thinking that anyone that has ever been expelled is automatically guilty. Agencies have their own agenda at times and if you think they dont, then you live in your little magical world and those of us that understand how businesses really work will continue to survive. As for lacking behavior, you seem to be the one that is lacking on behavioral skills. You commented before you read the entire statement and now you want to turn it into a personal attack on me because I gave a scenario of something that happened to someone. Im not the one little fella.

no facts, no names, just wind - sorry pal, your argument looks as grounded as your website.

Nope, no names... why would I burn bridges with instructors that trust me to maintain their privacy just to make you feel better. Aint Gonna Happen Chuckles. As for something being grounded. Get a life and join the real world.
Also, my website is down because I wanted it down. Some of us can afford to take a break. Not all of us have to pretend that SCUBA is the object that the world rotates around. Some of us make enough to be able to be selective. maybe someday, you might get there, but for now, keep teaching and hoping. And one last thing, Im Not Your PAL. I dont know you nor have a reason to want to know you. To me, you exist as some guy somewhere that gets his panties in a wad because you got called out for not reading before you opened your mouth.

Oh no, other agencies are ALL non-for-profit entities where instructors get actually paid by the agency for being accorded the privilege of teaching

---------- Post added October 16th, 2015 at 10:49 PM ----------

you don't know what you are talking about.

the second applies to your first.

The finger pointing's all fun and games until someone gets it in the eye. Can we get back to the meat of the discussion and stop the personal denunciations?

Keep bothering me with emails.......

and snail mail, for 5 years or more.

---------- Post added December 17th, 2015 at 12:42 AM ----------

it sounds like you're advocating that an instructor can arbitrarily add material to a PADI course and fault student for not meeting the instructor's arbitrary standard instead of PADI's

Remove the word "arbitrarily" and yes, many people do advocate that.

PADI specifically excludes a higher bar for "mastery" than the letter of their standards. Task loading while performing a skill, for instance, is specifically prohibited.

Remove the word "arbitrarily" and yes, many people do advocate that.

PADI specifically excludes a higher bar for "mastery" than the letter of their standards. Task loading while performing a skill, for instance, is specifically prohibited.

Please provide the specific language for these policies.

The five rules of how not to get expelled.

Rule number one: No fornication until certification.
Rule number two: Don't kill anyone.
Rule number three: Follow standards.
Rule number four: Make sure you have a paper trail that proves you follow standards.
Rule number five: Don't do illegal stuff.

Shouldn't rule 2 be first?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by OldNSalty
We're issuing work visas for SCUBA instructors?

Yes and it results in exactly what you think it might result in. Local 5 star PADI IDC center has h2 workers. They get to teach OW in 1.5 hours in the water day one, and 1.0 hours in the water day two, and they have to issue the OW cert.

This is 2.5 hours total in the water for confined water, open water, and watermanship skills. I'm good and efficient and all, but that is ridiculous.

This is not a story I heard. This is something I have had to deal with trying to help these instructors in any way I can without pissing off the 5 star store with which I have an ongoing work relationship with.

Who is at fault here?

Not the instrcutors who did not ask for this, and have made significant sacrifices to get here, and do their ****ing best to get something done in the time allotted.

The 5 star center, the course director they own, and PADI are the only people with power in this situation, and they are doing nothing except expelling the poor instructors which gets them deported.

---------- Post added December 19th, 2015 at 01:32 PM ----------

Really? I work at a New York 5 star IDC center as a IDCS instructor, full time, and always had the say on a student pass or fail.
as for course directors not being independent, where does this come from? CD's we use are both independent and both of them work out of different 5 star IDC centers in the NY,NJ area. We even can bring one from Florida if and when the need arises. Not at all arguing what you say is untrue, it may very well be at locations foreign or in the USA, but from my experience working in NY, NJ and USVI St Thomas, I have not experienced it. We have minimum wage laws in the states and if an instructor does not like the pay scale offered they can either decline working at a location or try to negotiate for a higher wage. No one forces anyone to teach or work where they do not want to. It can be that simple. You cannot paint all LDS owners or training agency's with such a wide brush making them out as ALL evil.

It's worth having some history here.

PADI used to allow CDs to run independent IDCs. No affiliation with shops necessary at all, not at any point. And those CDs acted as a seriously capable strong voice to stop operation squabbles, and general industry concerns

Now PADI only allows CD to run IDCs at five star IDC centers.

If just as above 5 star IDC shop is the source of the problem, and the course director needs that dive shop to run their course....

Independence

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom