Expelled PADI instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Read my post again. Cite an example where SB PADI bashers have said this.
Look at the post above the one I am quoting here from you for a example.

Several years ago a Boy Scout died during a Discover Scuba experience in Utah. After an initial investigation, PADI expelled him. SDI/TDI put out a public letter saying that PADI had thrown the instructor under the bus, even though he had committed no standards violations whatsoever. That letter went on to say that SDI/TDI would always stand behind their instructors, come whatever may.

The ScubaBoard thread on this, which you may read at your leisure, featured prominent ScubaBoard personalities attacking PADI for not supporting the instructor and blaming him for the fatality, even though he had not committed any standards violations. If you read the ScubaBoard thread, you will see PADI instructors listing all the standards that were violated--it is hard to think of a standard that was not violated. He hit about every one that was possible to violate.

The SDI/TDI letter caused such a ruckus that PADI finally put out a public letter listing some (but not all) of those many violations.

A couple months after PADI listed all those violations, it was the end of the year and time to renew SDI/TDI instructor memberships. SDI/TDI included that same letter with the renewal materials, even though the contents of that letter had been shown to be completely false. Once again, they promised that they would stand behind their instructors, unlike PADI. That is the reason I dropped out of being a TDI instructor.

Being half Japanese and having worked there for a couple of years it surprises me that they would blow standards. Japanese are extremely risk adverse. I still work with them and I sometimes get very frustrated on them not being able to make a decision because of fear.

Interestingly, I only saw one Colombian expelled (and of course they misspelled ColOmbia).
Interesting.
Japanese usually do not complain in public in foreign countries. And I have never witnessed a single case in all my overseas travelling experiences.

Written in 2009.

Look at the post above the one I am quoting here from you for a example.

Several years ago a Boy Scout died during a Discover Scuba experience in Utah. After an initial investigation, PADI expelled him. SDI/TDI put out a public letter saying that PADI had thrown the instructor under the bus, even though he had committed no standards violations whatsoever. That letter went on to say that SDI/TDI would always stand behind their instructors, come whatever may.

The ScubaBoard thread on this, which you may read at your leisure, featured prominent ScubaBoard personalities attacking PADI for not supporting the instructor and blaming him for the fatality, even though he had not committed any standards violations. If you read the ScubaBoard thread, you will see PADI instructors listing all the standards that were violated--it is hard to think of a standard that was not violated. He hit about every one that was possible to violate.

The SDI/TDI letter caused such a ruckus that PADI finally put out a public letter listing some (but not all) of those many violations.

A couple months after PADI listed all those violations, it was the end of the year and time to renew SDI/TDI instructor memberships. SDI/TDI included that same letter with the renewal materials, even though the contents of that letter had been shown to be completely false. Once again, they promised that they would stand behind their instructors, unlike PADI. That is the reason I dropped out of being a TDI instructor.
Mind sharing a link to PADI's response? That's one thing I'm not finding.

Yeah, I got in big trouble when I unleashed my Humboldt squid on students as they were performing skills. If you can't remove, replace, and clear your mask after my pet squid broke your wrist with its beak, do you really think you're qualified to dive after the class? PADI and I differed on that as I relented as I didn't want to be expelled.
Cute, but what I described merely combined several required skills into a single exercise.

Cute, but what I described merely combined several required skills into a single exercise.
And as always if there is something vague in the standards, ask your PADI training rep. That's what I've done in the past. While I believe @boulderjohn knows PADI standards extremely well, I would still defer to HQ for a clear and definitive statement of what is okay and what is not. That is part of their job.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom