Expelled PADI instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seeker242

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I met this instructor who currently instructs for other agencies. However, he is listed as one of PADI's recently expelled instructors. I can't imagine being forcibly expelled from any agency would be a good thing. Is there any way to find out why he was expelled? Would PADI tell me why he was expelled? Obviously, I don't want to sign up with an instructor that was instructing in an unsafe manner, if that was the reason why he was expelled to begin with. I don't know. But the guy seems like a nice guy so I really don't want to put him on the spot and say "So hey, how come you got expelled from PADI?". I could imagine that may be a fairly awkward conversation!

It takes an awful lot to be expelled from a training agency. My advice, and it's worth about what you've paid for it, is to find another instructor. Instructors are a dime a dozen especially in Florida. You should be able to find a good instructor who has never been expelled from a training agency. As a matter of fact, that should be a question we all ask instructors. "Have you ever been expelled from any training agency?" If the answer is yes, move on and look elsewhere for an instructor.

if PADI of all agencies expels you, run like the wind.... It takes an act of God to expel someone from PADI and it's usually for either some shady legal stuff, or he lost students and had a gross standards violation. Run away as fast as you can. From your area, I'd run towards Add Helium and see if one of their instructors will help you

Would PADI tell me why he was expelled?
I doubt they can without exposing themselves to legal action from said instructor.
if PADI of all agencies expels you, run like the wind.... It takes an act of God to expel someone from PADI and it's usually for either some shady legal stuff, or he lost students and had a gross standards violation. Run away as fast as you can. From your area, I'd run towards Add Helium and see if one of their instructors will help you
I agree with the first part but suggesting Add Helium to a new diver with 0-24 dives? Really?
Add Helium trains more rebreather divers than anyone else. How? With the worlds only dedicated rebreather showroom, and full-time rebreather training center.

Especially when there's a dozen recreational dive centers in Pompano or LBTS nearby.

Steve,
OP is owner of a marine electronics company, and started a 10 page thread on who has the most technical nitrox training. That thread got a little out of hand, granted I was part of it, but yes I would suggest going to Add Helium, and talking to them and seeing who they recommend for recreational level instructors. Hint, they have a few on staff....

Reactions: Jax
What does PADI do when an instructor does not pay the annual fee?

What does PADI do when an instructor does not pay the annual fee?

They enter inactive status. They aren't expelled. That takes some sort of a violation.

They enter inactive status. They aren't expelled. That takes some sort of a violation.

Was about to say that - as per their own statement on their expelled Pro page

The following list identifies former individual PADI Members who have been expelled from the PADI organization within the last few years. These individuals are no longer PADI Members, can’t conduct PADI courses nor represent themselves as PADI Members.

Note that expulsion is a last resort. The PADI Quality Management Program follows an extensive process that includes fact checking, getting all perspectives about the issue (including the member’s) and, when necessary, offering corrective retraining and cooperative compliance. Expulsion results when the PADI Member refuses to implement corrective measures, or when the nature of the complaint is so severe that expulsion is necessary to protect the public or to preserve the reputation of the PADI organization.

So I met this instructor who currently instructs for other agencies. However, he is listed as one of PADI's recently expelled instructors. I can't imagine being forcibly expelled from any agency would be a good thing. Is there any way to find out why he was expelled? Would PADI tell me why he was expelled? Obviously, I don't want to sign up with an instructor that was instructing in an unsafe manner, if that was the reason why he was expelled to begin with. I don't know. But the guy seems like a nice guy so I really don't want to put him on the spot and say "So hey, how come you got expelled from PADI?". I could imagine that may be a fairly awkward conversation!
Frankly, I'd just ask him. Whether he answers and how he answers will probably tell you everything you need to know.

I only one PADI instructor that has been expelled. It was well-justified, and overdue. The reasons for expulsion had nothing to do with PADI per se.....and would apply to any agency he was teaching for. I'd stay far, far away from him.

I was partnered with one of the instructors on the list above for my PADI IDC. He was already an instructor, and had been required to re-attend the PADI IDC to reinstate his credentials, due to a standards violation (taking an OW student to a wreck in the 100' range).

Note that he was NOT expelled for the above, his expulsion happened a few years after, apparently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom