Everything went wrong today. Advice needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't read all the posts, just jumped to the reply box after a page or two.

What I am seeing though is a cascade of events. It starts with moving the gear to the dive site. Is it possible to add some sort of wheeled conveyance to your setup so you can get the gear to the water without making it the start of a bad day?

I didn't read all the posts, just jumped to the reply box after a page or two.

What I am seeing though is a cascade of events. It starts with moving the gear to the dive site. Is it possible to add some sort of wheeled conveyance to your setup so you can get the gear to the water without making it the start of a bad day?

that would be called sidemount....

Really? I've usually seen things with wheels called carts. And yeah, depending on where you are going they can work fine. Other places, not so much. You can get sturdy folding carts with big wheels, but they might cost more than you want to spend.

Hi Guys! I want to thank each and every one of you, including beachbummer28 for raising this. I am a newbie in all sorts when it comes to diving and I will soon also be diving with my partner more often since I'm catching up on experience to be able to do deep dives. All your opinions and points of view are great and help me in my decisions too. Yes, this is a personal thread raised but I just wanted to highlight that others are following and learning from it :)
This ^
I'm yet another newbie enjoying this thread. So thanks.

Don't want to hijack or go off topic but I'd like to emphasise what was already said about a gear. I recently got my own gear completed and went for the first dive last weekend. I must say it was a hell of a difference compared to my previous dives with rental gear, every time a different one. I have a bp/w config and it's so flexible and tuneable that I finally feel super comfortable under water. It fits so well it feels like I was born with it. Moreover, my buddy has exactly the same config so we are basically mirrored thus know each other's gear perfectly.
That said, in my opinion, getting a gear to maintain a proper comfort zone is one of the most important things new divers should be thinking about in the first place. Everything else will come naturally with more dives and experience earned.

I have sometimes agreed on a "this next one is a drill" signal: I hold my hands like they are a open book and wait to get the same signal back. Now the ther diver knows there is a drill coming. Do the drill immediately thereafter.

It would be preferable not to use a slate. It's boring and annoying to hang in space wasting gas and dive time while the other person finishes scribbling. You need to learn the language of nonverbal communication. The best way to learn any language is to stop using others as a crutch and use only the language you need to learn. Just do it!

communication prior to the dive is key. When me and my wife did our first independent dive we discussed everything we were going to do before hand such that nothing surprising would happen under water unless it was a real emergency.

Over time pre-dive planning/discussion will get better and so will u/w communication

Create a dive plan, and communicate it prior to the dive, and then debrief after the dive. As you start to dive more togehter you will also start to develop your own language. As well your hubby might not be your best dive buddy right now, if you have more anxiety than he, maybe a dive buddy that is more your pace until you get more comfortable would be good. As well there is a definate plus to owning our own gear, then you have more confidence in that which sounds like could be part of your anxiety. All in all it is newbie jitters, we have had them all, and I as well as I am sure many others still get them when you venture into some new aspect of diving.

Really? I've usually seen things with wheels called carts. And yeah, depending on where you are going they can work fine. Other places, not so much. You can get sturdy folding carts with big wheels, but they might cost more than you want to spend.

in backmount you still have to pick the gear up off of the floor and set it down at floor height to use a cart in backmount which for me is actually more work than just wearing the rig, especially if you have one that fits you well. Curling 100lbs is something I can do, but I'd much rather carry it on my back. In sidemount you can leave the bottles at floor height...

I have yet to mount wheels on my sidemount cylinders... But that just might be the next big thing in rig design!

Maybe he was talking about something like this....

Shark Bite Scuba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm jumping in late too. It seems you really enjoyed diving before the problems. Did you two buddy up for a "mini dive" at the end of the OW course? Two suggestions I did read seem to be the best-- Have a plan and follow it and consider getting your own equipment. I will add to try to get an orientation for a site from locals (shop, etc.) before you dive there. Oh, CT: When you wind up in 4' of water you are at a typical CT shore dive and half way to the bottom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom