Everything went wrong today. Advice needed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's unfortunately mine but I bought it hesitantly - "It doesn't fit now ... maybe it will fit later...", as if that ever worked out well. I have a shorty that fits perfectly and it's just a matter of a different brand, so I'm going to shop around. I do want to get my own BCD as soon as possible. Our usual dive shop has pretty good Aqua Lung BCs that aren't beat up and they fit me well, but the ones we rented today were just a bad fit, worn out, I kept having to try to cinch it tighter even though I was in the smallest size, etc. A good BC that is mine would take a lot of the frustration out of rented gear.

I agree with taking it slow, and I do think we're trying to do too much, too soon. The dives are simple but we're cramming so much into them that it can get overwhelming, especially if you're trying to do everything perfectly (perfect buoyancy, perfect communication, perfect underwater pictures, perfect techniques! Ahhhhh!!!). Next time I'm going back to the artificial reef where I know what to expect and can plan the dive a bit better, and see if I can get another good, no frills, laidback dive in to trump this not-so-great one. :)
With respect to gear, get started now but don't rush and feel pushed or you will end up with more ill fitting gear. Look around at your fellow divers. Ask questions. As for BCD, I hate to say it but I think BPW would be a good choice for you. There is a bit of a learning curve for the fit but they dive beautifully once you get it dialed in. And extremely adaptable to changing gear configurations as you progress in your diving. An alternative would be a minimalist style back inflate BCD. If you are in cave country Florida you will have great LDS options.

Come diving with us in Southern California for a week - everything after that will be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Just relax and dive more. I like the slate idea. I like that you're a perfectionist. You guys might be better new divers than you think you are. Don't get frustrated and quit.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that buying gear will fix the "being new to the sport" issue. You're not gear dependent, you're self dependent.
Buoyancy is the single most critical skill to learn - without depending on a buoyancy compensator ( for single tank, warm water / cold water recreational diving) - IOW - never over weight yourself. BREATHE.
One last thing - when you finally get to the point that you're ready to buy your first tank, never consider anything but steel :) - no matter what

We (I) at least tried hard to explain to you (in the prior) thread that you (two) must attempt to plan your dive so there is NO TALKING, no discussions, no big choices, no disagreements. You should be planning simple dives with the intent to always avoid coming to the surface to talk etc.

That may sound harsh, but I think that is a good goal. You may still want/need to surface to talk, but try hard to avoid it. When you begin to do "real" dives, you really can't be doing that. Plus, for ocean diiving the surface can be rough, the LAST thing I like to do is to be talking on the surface. It is a good way to inhale water. I like to keep a snorkel or a regulator in my mouth when in the water.

Somehow you need to move away from this psychological crutch that you need to surface to talk.

Also, it really does sound like you are somewhat over the top with organization and planning. That is fine, if that is the way you are and it makes you feel comfortable... just do it before going down..

I know, I know ... and you were totally right! And I read it, absorbed and appreciated it, completely agreed with it, and then got so caught up in the excitement of another dive that we just threw on our gear when we got there and excitedly couldn't wait to get in the water. *ducks* We will definitely not be making that mistake again, because a dive plan would have eased my worries so much and I wouldn't have had so many unanswered questions while down there. I promise that I usually don't ask for advice and then ignore it, but I unintentionally forgot to plan the dive this time and paid for it. :-/

I'm trying to mentally put myself back into the situation and I truly feel like I wouldn't feel the urge to surface to talk if we had discussed a general plan ahead of time. Most of my anxiety and questions are centered around what's next, what we're doing, "when I made that signal and you looked at me questioningly this is what I meant", blah blah blah. I am definitely someone who needs to know the game plan in order to feel comfortable, but obviously it needs to be understood before we descend. You're right, there will be no ascending to talk on a more serious dive when we're 60+ feet down! I'm going to make this priority #1 going forward and see if it helps.

I agree with Dumpster Diver 100%--what do you need to talk about??

Does your regulator work? Do you have enough air to get you and your buddy back to the surface safely while sharing air? Then you can do whatever you want and it should be fine. You could just stop swimming, close your eyes and meditate until you reach a lower pressure of air, and then surface.

Lets say your husband starts to swim into the cave, tries to light a stick of dynamite, tries to eat a cheap frozen pizza, is about to bump into an alligator...the signal for all of those situations is exactly the same: use your light to wave side to side quickly, or grab your buddy's leg, fin, arm, etc, and then tell them no. You could do that with a closed fist (technically means hold but they should get the clue) if they don't get that, then give them the middle finger :)

So other than the "don't do that!" signal, the only other communication you could possibly really need is a frantic "share air!" or a calm "lets surface."

In the meantime, if your dive plan is "swim around" then just follow whomever is swimming in front, look around, and relax. No need to communicate.

Part of the joy of diving is getting to spend 1-4 hours with someone you love, without having to say a single word to each other.

In other words why pay good money for a tank of air and all that gear to sit underwater writing notes to each other? I hope you understand that I'm trying to make light of it, but I really don't see the need for very much communication, especially after a little while, you and your husband will probably be almost to read each other's minds...once you realize how little you need to talk, and how much you can understand what the other will do because of how well you know each other, you'll leave that slate at home until you take a deco class, and then you'll probably want a wrist slate that isn't easy to pass back and forth anyways :)

I'm sure that diving is for you, everyone has bad dives. The topside fun of it all is very important. Some people dive very well with their significant others, other people don't do well with that stress. Try to find some other scuba friends to go diving with.

The Scubaboard Megadive at Ginnie Springs is coming up end of October, I attended a Megadive just after getting certified and made lifelong friends, and it really helped me get into diving as a major hobby. If you can stop by, even if you can't camp, I'm sure you'd love the Galaxy dive!

And living in Florida, come make a weekend of it at Blue Heron Bridge sometime. Shallow, warm (right now!), and stuff to see. But, if you are worried about communicating as you swim around a giant circle, work on that before you go to BHB, it's a larger, spread out site, and if you aren't comfortable following someone or being followed, without talking about it during the dive, you'll be frustrated. Of course the best would be hiring a guide to dive there the first time to relieve that stress.

Not one for writing notes under water but .....

Was diving with a private DM in Hawaii. We were several feet apart on day 3 when he whips out a slate I did not know he had, holds it up with one large word "whale", flashed a stop sign, and cupped his ear. I stopped and hung in the water and shortly heard the whale singing. We just hung there for awhile listening to the concert in the distance. Most enchanting. Did not know the "stop looking at fishies and listen to the distant whale's sing" hand signal.

Come diving with us in Southern California for a week - everything after that will be like shooting fish in a barrel.
Just relax and dive more. I like the slate idea. I like that you're a perfectionist. You guys might be better new divers than you think you are. Don't get frustrated and quit.
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that buying gear will fix the "being new to the sport" issue. You're not gear dependent, you're self dependent.
Buoyancy is the single most critical skill to learn - without depending on a buoyancy compensator ( for single tank, warm water / cold water recreational diving) - IOW - never over weight yourself. BREATHE.
One last thing - when you finally get to the point that you're ready to buy your first tank, never consider anything but steel :) - no matter what
I have to disagree to a certain extent. No, gear is not a solution to inexperience but it is a step toward diving independence and hopefully more comfort in the water. Having ill fitting gear or gear you are uncomfortable with just adds to the level of stress. And diving different gear each time, while it may encourage adaptability, does not encourage consistency. Buying my own gear was one of the best decisions I made, even though I have since repurchased most of it! There is also the advantage of becoming intimately familiar with your own gear including maintaince and minor repairs. As a perfectionist, owning her own gear, and taking care of it, will be a major bonus.

I know, I know ... and you were totally right! And I read it, absorbed and appreciated it, completely agreed with it, and then got so caught up in the excitement of another dive that we just threw on our gear when we got there and excitedly couldn't wait to get in the water. *ducks* We will definitely not be making that mistake again, because a dive plan would have eased my worries so much and I wouldn't have had so many unanswered questions while down there. I promise that I usually don't ask for advice and then ignore it, but I unintentionally forgot to plan the dive this time and paid for it. :-/

I'm trying to mentally put myself back into the situation and I truly feel like I wouldn't feel the urge to surface to talk if we had discussed a general plan ahead of time. Most of my anxiety and questions are centered around what's next, what we're doing, "when I made that signal and you looked at me questioningly this is what I meant", blah blah blah. I am definitely someone who needs to know the game plan in order to feel comfortable, but obviously it needs to be understood before we descend. You're right, there will be no ascending to talk on a more serious dive when we're 60+ feet down! I'm going to make this priority #1 going forward and see if it helps.

You have asked if you should continue diving. I think the answer is obvious. Even though you are certified, you are pretty terrible at it right now, but you recognize the issues, THINK about solutions and are willing to implement better practices. Just relax a little and do some more simple dives and I suspect most all of these issues will resolve themselves. Some people are naturals, others are not.

As an instructor, I have seen some unbelievably inept students become good divers (and quickly), because they are motivated and have the right attitude.

There is a lot of good information in this thread for new divers but I see two separate issues, gear and experience. Both together may seem overwhelming.
As to Gear; you have learned the first lesson in gear purchasing. Try a lot and see what you like, what fits the type of diving you want to do and do not "drink the kook-aid" and go with what someone else says is the only solution for you. An awful lot of the recommendations on the boards is actually very bad for most styles and types of diving. Find what works for you and fits the type of diving you want and where you want to be in five years. You liked the first gear you rented and not the second. Good lesson. Ignore the "this is the BC you will grow into or this is where everyone ends up" that answer is BS. Find what YOU like and WORKS for YOU. This is about you and looking at pretty fish from an island is better than OK, its right if your happy or if you want to do cold water and doubles or caves, that can be right too.

Second lets look at training and experience: Ttbone has some good advice but I believe is premature and too narrowly focused on a particular course at just a few dives post certification. Good Instructors are much more important than training agencies. Find an instructor who understands your needs and works with you. They can recommend the courses you need and focus on the skills you need or want to work on. At just a few dives post certification don't expect to go from zero to hero overnight. No one on this board walked out of their first cert class and was ready to go caving. I've heard other instructors at almost all levels tell their students, and I have even plagiarized a few times, that your cert card is a license to go out and learn. Talk with your dive buddy pre-dive and more importantly post-dive and learn from each experience. Get some experience with others who have experience, start out with simple plans and stick to the them, then grow into more difficult stuff. Remember: Every dive is a training dive

You're diving to have fun so make it fun!

First off don't be frustrated. Y'all are just getting started diving so its ok for things to go awry from time to time. Diving with a spouse can also cause frustrations to build even more. Not to saying that you should dive with your significant other my wife is my dive buddy and one of the few people I trust doing more complicated dives, but that took time to build. Be patient and work through your issues. It might be worth doing some dives with a dive master or instructor to build comfort in the water. Until you are comfortable being in the water frustration is likely to happen. Don't be discouraged and don't give up diving is fun and as you spend time in the water it will be come much more enjoyable.

Hi Guys! I want to thank each and every one of you, including beachbummer28 for raising this. I am a newbie in all sorts when it comes to diving and I will soon also be diving with my partner more often since I'm catching up on experience to be able to do deep dives. All your opinions and points of view are great and help me in my decisions too. Yes, this is a personal thread raised but I just wanted to highlight that others are following and learning from it :)

As for gear, I did my research and took a lot of recommendations and went with what I'm comfortable with :) I agree that it's all about my comfort and where I'd want to be in 5ish yrs!

Diving with my partner... Scares me a bit but I'm sure with time and dives beachbummer28 and I will learn to do it by practically mind reading with our respective partners and will eventually get us closer to them. Diving is a sport/hobby/profession built on trust of many parties including the guy/gal that fills your tanks!!

Ok longer than expected and thanks again for your trusting ways fellow divers and all your opinions! Rare is it that a forum can conflict in opinions and still be respectful :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom