Ever seen a fat guy struggling to keep his pants up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BF, ask Matt if you can do the rest of your class dives in the rental BP/W unit he has. I have no idea what their policy on this is, but I do know they have a rental unit.

Did class today and it was so much fun. Mask clearing was a breeze and the one thing I was really worried about. Used a scubapro back inflate bc today and I see what people are talking about in terms of it sort of pushing you face first into the water. While my two buddies were on the surface with Gerry (Instructor) I was trying to not just quit and settle for a deadman float with my reg in. Everything came pretty easy as far as day one skills although we did do some laps under water compensating for the depth change and it seemed I was either floating all the way up or laying on the bottom. Had some trouble finding that "happy medium". Felt a bit of ear discomfort as well even at only 10 feet, was trying like crazy to clear my ears and finally kind of got it but it was a bit tough. I am excited to go back to class tomorrow and work on diver rescue, some more mask clearing, OOA drills and then off to Edmonds to dive the park. I think if I can survive this ill fitting back inflate with a broken buckle I will love moving to a bp/w. Hooooray,

Excellent news. How much weight did you end up using? It sounds like you had more than enough.

well I was in trunks booties, fins, mask, snorkel, and bc and had a belt with 10 pounds and a 4 pound bag stashed in a bc pocket and a steel tank. So that got me down to the bottom of the pool. Today I will add to that gear list (and of course bouyancy) by wearing my 7mm one piece, gloves, and maybe the hood too. So I imagine more weight. I also can't figure out quite how I should know if I have the proper ammount of weight to begin with, and of course how to keep my bc from riding up when try to lay on it like an otter. I felt like a doofus trying to look in control while all the other guys are just bobbing around like corks talking calmly as I am being dumped face first into the water and the bc is riding somewhere up above my shoulder blades. I want to stick to back inflate (in prep of getting a wing set up going) but I think in part I am looking forward toa crotch strap to help keep the rig where I want it.

......as I am being dumped face first into the water and the bc is riding somewhere up above my shoulder blades.......

Try this for starters. Let some of the air out. If the BP/W is not fitted properly then it will not entirely fix the problem but typically if you are being pushed face first, it is an indicator that you have too much air in your BC. You should only have your head out of the water....not your shoulders and your waist. Let a bit of air out and see how it acts. Also, this time, ask the Instructor to help tighten everything to make sure that it is tight enough on you. The crotch strap will help a great deal but it should still be sufficiently tight elsewhere.

And, with 10# plus 4# plus 7# (depending on tank) plus 6# (depends on BP)....you should end up well below what you originally thought you would have to carry even once you add in the suit etc.. So, good for you.

well I am not in a bp/w yet, I think it is an OOOOOOOOOOLD Scubapro Nighhawk and it has some fit issues and a broken buckle but since I already own tanks (just have to get them to me from Los Angeles) and I can rely on a rental reg for a little bit, assembling a well fitting bp/w are my next goals. So I will be out of this scubapro monster hopefully soon. I know I that I had it quite full so I will try that today in class. Thanks.

I'm about your size - 290-ish on average.

For my checkouts in a 7mm john/jacket (i.e. 14mm on the torso) I was using about 35 lbs. That was with a jacket BC and AL tank, in fresh water. I used the DUI Weight and Trim and it worked really well for that much lead.

Now diving my own gear -- 5mm suit, 6lb BP, and steel HP80 I'm using no extra lead now (again, in fresh water). I might need a couple pounds when I add the hood back though. You'll loose a lot of ballast as you get comfortable in the water, and definitely look for ways to replace useless lead with usable things that help your weighting (like the steel tank, etc).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom