Aqualung Rogue BCD Review -- Major Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Rogue for almost a year now. Haven’t had this issue, but I hardly ever take my BC apart. I just pull the weight pockets to lighten the load when going up the dive ladder. I am struggling visualizing this part of the BC. I will take a look when I am on my boat.

This complaint is exactly the reason I didn't buy a Rogue, even though I had been looking at one for a long time. When I was ready to purchase I saw multiple people complain about the weight system. Losing weight during a dive is not something you want to worry about. There's many posts online of those flimsy plastic tabs failing. Ultimately I just went with a different BCD (Hydros Pro). I have dove Aqualung BCs for 90% of my dives and like them, so it made me sad to switch, but that was just a non starter for me. Yes, the old surelock had it's issues to, but I never personally had any kind of failure, and my LDS replaced the handles with the upgraded model.

When I was ready to purchase I saw multiple people complain about the weight system. Losing weight during a dive is not something you want to worry about.

To be clear, this is not an issue with the weight pockets. Also, this is not something that could occur during a dive. The waist belts -- which do include the weight pockets -- are what are coming off. And they only come off when donning or removing the BCD. Once the BCD is on, there is no more stress on the clips and they are totally secure. Also, if the waist belt is secure -- the center buckle snapped -- then even in the very unlikely event that one of the waist belt attachments came undone, the belt and all weights would still be attached to the BCD via the center buckle.

The method of attaching the different Rogue components is not at all related to the weigh pocket retention system.

Also -- responding to jeffsky -- I also do not take my BCD apart. The only time it has been apart is when the waist belt parts have fallen off, and when I took the above photos.

Rick is spot on. It’s not the weight pockets themselves - those have a grey T-Handle use a more traditional slide lock to secure into the weight pocket “housing” (Photo 3)
The housing is then secured to the BC using 2 sockets (an Upper & Lower socket Photos 1, 2, & 4)). In my photos I have circled the problem lower sockets in Red. So while the upper socket uses that locking tab, that needs to be depressed to fully remove the accessory, the lower socket appears to just be held in place by the tension of the grooves.

I have only ever experienced this issue with the lower socket on my right side.the single socket on the hip belt, and all single sockets, swivel by design. They can swivel a full 360° and not come free because the center tab needs to be depressed to “unlock” the socket. At least that is my experience with the hip & shoulder sockets.

Attachments

• 9F64CC7B-2D68-4ADF-9E20-76ED39D4CF82.jpeg
    9F64CC7B-2D68-4ADF-9E20-76ED39D4CF82.jpeg
    179.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 0A28DA9E-CF9F-405E-BA98-620095C37A3B.jpeg
    0A28DA9E-CF9F-405E-BA98-620095C37A3B.jpeg
    168.3 KB · Views: 172
  • 108ED123-16BF-428A-BF1A-E3782F57E648.jpeg
    108ED123-16BF-428A-BF1A-E3782F57E648.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 150
  • D3E646EC-EFFB-47FD-982D-BD060BF58C80.jpeg
    D3E646EC-EFFB-47FD-982D-BD060BF58C80.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 6E597B07-9CE7-460A-BBE6-F44C10257A9A.jpeg
    6E597B07-9CE7-460A-BBE6-F44C10257A9A.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 164
So are you saying its on the waist belt style configuration or on the standard, where the weight pocket is located on the back pad? My daughters Rogue is coming up on 50 dives and Im just trying to get ahead of any potential problems.

FWIW, hers is the standard config. and we have taken it apart numerous times with none of the above problems. Doesn't mean we won't encounter it.

This complaint is exactly the reason I didn't buy a Rogue, even though I had been looking at one for a long time. When I was ready to purchase I saw multiple people complain about the weight system. Losing weight during a dive is not something you want to worry about. There's many posts online of those flimsy plastic tabs failing. Ultimately I just went with a different BCD (Hydros Pro). I have dove Aqualung BCs for 90% of my dives and like them, so it made me sad to switch, but that was just a non starter for me. Yes, the old surelock had it's issues to, but I never personally had any kind of failure, and my LDS replaced the handles with the upgraded model.

I think you are alluding to putting the weight pockets back in with the BC on you. No problem ditching the weights, but near impossible to get them back in without help or taking off the BC. There is no concern of losing the weights during a dive. They snap in and stay in. Very happy with the Rogue!

Lugnut and I have slightly different issues, so I'll again describe mine. The waist belt I have is the optional waist belt that includes weight pockets. With this waist belt the weights are in a somewhat "traditional" location for ditchable weights -- horizontal in the waist belt when standing. The weight pockets are very secure and are not the issue. The waist belt halves each attach with one socket (with locking tab), to the BCD body. My issue is that, when putting on or removing the entire BCD -- generally out of the water -- one of those socket/snaps will pop open and the waist belt half will fall completely off. The waist belt half and the weight pocket it contains will fall off.

This is my Outlaw setup. Should clear up any confusion. There is only 1 “double socket” per side on the outlaw. So you either choose the trim pocket accessory (limited to 2lbs per pocket) or the Surelock2 pocket accessory (I run 5lbs per side since I don’t use a wetsuit).

The shoulder & hip belt sockets are the single sockets. Never had a problem with them.

I’ve actually tried to recreate this problem on land…and I can’t get that bottom socket to come free in any way. I’m 6’2”, 225, so it’s not like I’m a weakling lol. I can pull on it with all my strength and can’t get it to pop loose.

it’s also not a problem with the left side. I intentionally did a giant stride and landed on the left side to try and get it to pop free, and it wouldn’t.

Other than this one issue - it’s still my favorite BC I’ve ever used. Even when the bottom socket has popped loose, the BC is still perfectly divable, that weight will just swivel to find the bottom when you are positioning for a photo or whatever. If it gets too annoying, I’ll just take off the BC, put it on the bottom, and just re-insert the sockets. Takes 30 seconds. Or I’ll just finish out my dive, and reinsert on the boat.

I considered the Scuba Pro Hydros before I purchased the Outlaw, but it was just too heavy, and frankly, the rubber construction wasn’t super comfortable since I normally don’t wear a wetsuit or shirt while diving.

Attachments

• 7A242DD9-D314-47D2-97DE-4F8B65430D8C.jpeg
    7A242DD9-D314-47D2-97DE-4F8B65430D8C.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 177
  • 97DA98D3-EDA3-43BC-87B5-00093EA95C71.jpeg
    97DA98D3-EDA3-43BC-87B5-00093EA95C71.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 174
Attempt to clear up confusion #2

Rick’s hip belt (probably) vs My hip belt

From what I can tell, the Rogue & Outlaw use the same socket system so these parts are interchangeable.

I’ve never had the specific problem Rick has had. My problem is similar though since it seems to be an issue with a level of force/torque being applied to the sockets that Aqualung has designed.

Ricks happen while dry, mine have only occurred when making a giant stride entry.

Attachments

• 38A3F063-F82A-4330-862E-138E6D363D96.jpeg
    38A3F063-F82A-4330-862E-138E6D363D96.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 154
  • 496A2B60-9CD2-49C7-B871-4E9E82942BE5.jpeg
    496A2B60-9CD2-49C7-B871-4E9E82942BE5.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 150
I think you are alluding to putting the weight pockets back in with the BC on you. No problem ditching the weights, but near impossible to get them back in without help or taking off the BC. There is no concern of losing the weights during a dive. They snap in and stay in. Very happy with the Rogue!
I was referring to a review I read on leisurepro. They lost the complete weight pocket on a dive when the little plastic retaining tab failed. I grant it’s a single review, and I have no idea how rough they were with their gear, or if they were doing acrobatics underwater at the time, but it was enough personally to make me choose something else.

Someone on Amazon also mentioned the issue with the belt popping loose. It’s just not something I want to be worrying about when doing a giant stride from 10 feet up over deep water.

I’m sure it’s a great BCD, I had my eye on it for two years, but once i read those reviews it just got in my head. So I would have been worrying about it instead of focusing on my diving. Prior to my hydros I dove aqualung BCD’s almost exclusively, and never had a single issue with the surelock system. My brother’s scuba pro however would occasionally have a weight pocket slide out (but remain clipped). Similar to the belt issue with the rogue it’s more annoying than anything, but since I was the one who had to fix it for him I avoided their BCD’s. The hydros has a little structure, and I haven’t had that issue even when hauling it around on land.

For lugnut, I agree the hydros would be a poor choice for someone diving without a suit of some kind. I carry it around sometimes bare chested, but I pretty much always dive in a suit these days.

Attachments

• 37C2FF6A-A242-4F19-BC4E-3C8C4A21A75C.jpeg
    37C2FF6A-A242-4F19-BC4E-3C8C4A21A75C.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 145

Back
Top Bottom