Aqualung Rogue BCD Review -- Major Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Brant

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving with an Aqualung Rogue for about a year now and have more than one hundred dives on it. I purchased it new, with the integrated weights on the waist belt rather than at the shoulders. That is an option on the Rogue and unfortunately that is where the issue is. I should mention, I love diving with the Rogue, the fit as-purchased is perfect and it is very minimalist. After 100 dives it still looks like new.

The issue I have been having since purchase is that the waist belt parts fall off of the BCD frame at random times. The Rogue is assembled from multiple parts (shoulder straps, waist belts, bladder, etc), each available in multiple sizes, and they snap together to form the complete BCD. The waist belt snaps use a single snap point that is able to rotate freely. For the basic Rogue, those points are sufficient to keep the waist belt intact. Weights on the basic Rogue attach via double, non-rotatable snaps on the BCD body. That difference -- between single snaps and double snaps -- is the key issue. When weight is added to the weight belt, as it is on my Rogue, the single snaps are simply not sufficient to keep the weight belt components attached to the BCD frame. I have had each of my waist belt halves fall off multiple times, including once when in the water during a Rescue Diver course. This is a major shock of course as at that point the waist belt half -- with weights -- is not attached to anything else. Snapping it back to the frame is not trivial either, as it needs to be aligned just right and of course one wants to verify it is "good" before continuing.

This is not a particularly dangerous issue as there is almost zero chance of losing weights while diving. Once the waist belt is on the user, the stress on the snaps is greatly reduced and unsnapping is very unlikely. Also, at that point the waist belt halves are joined in the center, so if one side did come unsnapped, it would still be captive at the center. Unsnapping tends to happen when the BCD is being put on, as it is lifted the waist belts hang down, stress is high on the snaps, and sometimes one gives. The biggest risks are loss of the belt half in the deep, or dropping a weighted half on one's foot.

I reached out to AL when I first noticed this issue. They suggested I have my LDS check things out, which I did. I actually bought the Rogue as my instructor at the time was using one, so my LDS knows it well. Anyway they checked it out and found nothing unusual. Since this has continued over time, I have continued to talk to AL, however they have pretty much ignored my questions. I received one note along the lines of "our expert will contact you", but I never heard from that person and my follow-ups were ignored.

I am planning to rectify this by moving my weights to the 2-snap shoulder-area pocket locations. I don't like that location as much but the double snaps should be much more robust. This will cost me an extra $90 though as I opted for the waist belt weights at purchase. I did ask AL to comp these, but again, no response.

This experience has soured me a bit on both AL as a company and also the "support the LDS" movement. I purchase my entire kit at my LDS, and all of it is AL-brand. This issue started right after purchase and the support has been non-existent. There are not many reviews of the Rogue so undoubtedly this one will come up in future searches. Although I love using my Rogue I would not recommend it, in fact I would struggle to recommend AL at all. Someone mentioned in another thread that AL had taken some VC funding. In my opinion VC money generally means the death of a brand. Hopefully that won't be the case with AL.

Whoops yes, that is what I meant!

I've had a similar issue w/ my Outlaw, but with my weight pouches and not my waist belt. The weight pouches use the 2 snap design, but its far from perfect. I'm around the 100-150 dive mark on my Outlaw as well. Somewhere around dive #25 on it, I did my entry off the rear of the boat, and one of my weight pouches totally detached. We were only in about 35' of water in Bonaire, so I was able to just go down, retrieve the pouch, and re-attach it to my BCD. I never had this issue again, although I did purchase a second set of weight pouches to keep in my mesh bag w/ my spare parts just in case. I use the Outlaw with only 5lbs per pouch, so it's not like i am overloading them in any way.

What I have experienced lately (dives 75+), is that about half the time making a giant stride entry, one of the weight pouches will become half-detached. For those that don't have a Outlaw/Rogue, the weigh pouch has 2 circular "male" grommets that slide into a corresponding "female" slot on the BCD. The lower of these 2 I would call passive since the upper has the little clip that is depressed to remove the weight pouch for travel. This lower, passive grommet, is what pops out, causing the weight pouch to swivel back and forth depending on my attitude underwater. I solved it just by entering the water from the ladder and never had the issue that way. It's more of an annoyance than anything, but Aqualung should probably tweak this design if they do a Gen2 Outlaw. I am curious if the Rogue has the same issue (side note - I'm also curious if the Rogue & Outlaw have any inter-changability - I would love to have a Rogue bladder on my Outlaw to have that right shoulder vent).

Other than this - I still absolutely love the BCD...nothing has beaten it in terms of in-water comfort.

Hmm you are making me re-think my strategy of moving to the 2-snap weight pockets. I need something totally bulletproof, I don't want to just move to a new set of problems. They really needed to make these snaps much more difficult to remove -- it's just a bad design and if someone gets hurt when one pops off at a bad time they will get sued.

I will probably move to a weight belt and just ditch the removables altogether. I don't really like that solution but it works and will be about as bulletproof as it gets. I love the Rogue but find AL's disinterest in this topic to be more than a little concerning.

I believe the Outlaw pockets are interchangeable but I'm not positive.

The Rogue and Outlaw waist belt and weight pockets are interchangeable.

I was diving the Outlaw for a few years, and have since passed it to my partner, who has continued diving it for another year. Neither of us have experienced any issues with the waist or pocket attachments. We are diving tropical waters, with no more than 8 lbs total lead carried.

That said, I could see the potential for "clip failure" in some circumstances, like Rescue Course exercises while using a lot of weight. The Rogue/Outlaw is really not designed for those types of strenuous activities, IMO. I see the design as being intended for (mostly) warm water rec diving where travel weight/packability is a priority.

Are you talking about the weights that are inserted vertically upwards, rather than horizontal on most other BC’s?

The weight pockets themselves are not the problem. Instead it is the snap-together, component design that the Rogue and Outlaw both have. The BCD body, waist belt, shoulders and bladder are all separate parts and can be ordered in different sizes. That is a nice feature as you can get exactly the parts that match your body type. The problem -- for me at least -- is that the snaps on the two halves of the waist belt will not stay snapped. Each half of the waist belt has a weight pocket, with weights, so the load on those snaps when handling the BCD is significant. In my case, when I pick up the BCD to put it on, sometimes one side or the other will simply snap right off. That's not ideal over ground but will be really problematic if it ever happens when in or over deep water. That part of the waist belt, with the weight pocket installed, will disappear.

In the photos below you can see the single female that is where the waist belt snaps to the BCD body. You can also see the waist belt male that snaps into it. It is a locking snap, once it snaps you need to use a small screwdriver to remove it, unless of course it just falls right off. I also included a shot that shows the "double snap" that lugnut refers to. This is what is used for the standard weight belt pocket mounting. The waist belt pockets I use are optional. It sounds like the double clips have the same issue.

UU3DqdJ.jpg

1QLe70z.jpe

PxdfaKJ.jpe

tIvIyT1

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom