ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just flamed my (fairly) new mares X-Vision mask and like previously said I saw the "film" receding after the glass warmed up. FYI, the mask will get very warm to the touch so do not rinse with water immediately after flaming. As said earlier in this thread, cool water running over it will remove most of the soot however a little assistance with a clean finger may be required if some soot was to make it onto the silicone skirt. After I flamed, I put the mask on and TRIED to make it fog and it wouldnt!!! SCORE!!! No more anti-fog for me!

I tried flaming my mask and nothing happened. I had scrubbed the heck out of it with toothpaste multiple times before and it still fogged when I huffed on it. So I decided to flame it. How long do you have to heat it up? I held the flame on the glass long enough to make the glass hot (but not too hot to touch) and I didn't see any film burn off. Still fogs when I breath on it. :(

Am I doing this wrong?

I tried flaming my mask and nothing happened. I had scrubbed the heck out of it with toothpaste multiple times before and it still fogged when I huffed on it. So I decided to flame it. How long do you have to heat it up? I held the flame on the glass long enough to make the glass hot (but not too hot to touch) and I didn't see any film burn off. Still fogs when I breath on it. :(

Am I doing this wrong?

For it to really work you have to hold the flame to the inside of the lens until most of the surface is nearly totally black.

If it is not hot to the touch, you haven't done it near enough.

Keep moving the flame around to make it even as you go.

When I helped my buddy flame his Tilos mask, we did not see any film peel off. And yet, the mask -- which had fogged relentlessly on previous dives -- was cured of fogging after the flame treatment. So maybe one does not always see a film recede or peel off.

I suggest the non-aggressive approach, holding the flame on the lens only briefly, and moving it around in a circle. On my one new mask and some older masks, the film burning off was nearly immediate.
All flaming can do is help clean the mask. Even the cleanest mask will fog under the right conditions (warm breath, cold lens). So I still use defog.

So SB,

I decided to trust you guys and put my Oceanic Mini Shadow at risk! Anyway, when i breathe into the mask it still fogs? Also, when its fogging it has a ripply pattern on the glass where it doesn't fog as much? Did I not get all the coating off or something?

Shane

I can't say for sure if you did or did not flame enough, but just be aware that you still need to "anti-fog" the mask before diving, at least in my experience. The difference is that if you have a stubborn mask, NOTHING will work before you flame it (or use another "serious" de-contaminating method). After you flame it, then normal measures will work when you use them pre-dive (spit, anti-fog stuff, etc.).

So SB,

I decided to trust you guys and put my Oceanic Mini Shadow at risk! Anyway, when i breathe into the mask it still fogs? Also, when its fogging it has a ripply pattern on the glass where it doesn't fog as much? Did I not get all the coating off or something?

Shane

Fan the flame all over the glass until there is a layer of soot or blackening. Wash the mask thoroughly in hot water and Dawn soap. You must still use an anti-fog agent each dive. The flaming simply provides a clean glass surface.

N

we used to use soft scrub only on glass lens.
Jerry

Oh Yeah that Nemrod is a Good Man Charley brown.
Jerry inland divers vintage scuba club #2

Back
Top Bottom