ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the myth to be busted, that masks fog? :idk:

N

not exactly....they could 'test' out all the different (and crazy) ways people have heard they should prep masks so they don't fog, to see which methods work best.

It seems that simple green would work, I use it for o2 cleaning.

Another solution is get a vintage mask.

Another is get a mask with a couple of hundred dives on it.

My science theory

Another is (not recommended for the weak stomach) put in toilet, take a dump in it, scrub with toilet brush, flush, then spray scrubbing bubbles In the mask, let set for 5 minutes then flush.

To make sure not to fog on dive hold commode handle down part way and fill bowl. This insures cold water, fit mask on and dive head in bowl, if no fogging, move on to test a good seal, while still submerged reach up with left hand and flush, if it leaks, pull mask strap evenly on both sides, and repeat testing.

P.S. If the crack in the bowl worries you, don't, objects appear 25% bigger, more than likely it is just pubic hair.

P.S.P.S. for a tropical view, insert tidybol, and remember to ascend slowly when doing so, not to get hit by tidybol mans boat.

Happy Diving

Bought a new mask couple of months ago, supposed to be anti-fog, but constantly fogging up. Tried cleaning with dish solution and toothpaste still fogging. After reading this did the "flame thing", and now mask is as clean as if no glass at all. Thanks for the tips. Didn't hurt the skirt or glass, just a bit of soot and rinsed off with cool water.

Once in a while you may have to repeat the flame cleaning. Especially if you toss all of your gear in a bag all together or put that d---Armor All on everything. But it usually fixes the fog issue for a very long time.

N

Went back to the website where I purchased my mask and it says to never use toothpaste to clean the lens as it will remove the antifog coating. Well the antifog coating was not working so.."flame on".

Thanks for the tips. Didn't hurt the skirt or glass, just a bit of soot and rinsed off with cool water.

Sometimes the fun part is doing it for someone then showing them the blacked out glass from the soot and saying "wow...that's never happened before!, Oh well, at least you can watch a solar eclipse."

Then of course you tell them you are kidding and clean the mask. I have had to rub off spots with my fingernail, but they always come clean.

this has been an interesting post for me! i have never heard of flaming a mask.

now I want to go get a new mask just so i can flame it!

I'll bring you one this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom