ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Bon Ami to get my masks clean, no perfumes, works like a charm and never scratches.
Toothpaste sucks.
I would have thought flaming was best used for internet discussions, but hey if people say it works that well for masks maybe I'll try it.

First of all - what are the manufacturers of these masks doing sending off masks that are not properly cleaned of a manufacturing residue that keeps them from working as designed. This is just garbage. Where are the "class action suit lawyers" when you need them.

Secondly - Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. If they say flame, Bon-Ami, Toothpaste or cowpies - just do what they say.

Last of all - I'd ask the LDS where I bought it and then do it with them, or let them do whatever. If they said, "Flame it" - I'd take it to them and let them do it, and if they ruined it, they'd replace it. I'm certainly not going to listen to someone who will take no responsibility if I ruin my mask through some lame-brained idea.

In the meantime, as I said before, I've used toothpaste for my masks, my family's, and others. Unless something has changed drastically, and I would expect this to be brought to our attention by the manufacturer/LDS, I will keep on with the toothpaste.

First of all - what are the manufacturers of these masks doing sending off masks that are not properly cleaned of a manufacturing residue that keeps them from working as designed. This is just garbage. Where are the "class action suit lawyers" when you need them.

Secondly - Follow the manufacturer's recommendation. If they say flame, Bon-Ami, Toothpaste or cowpies - just do what they say.

Last of all - I'd ask the LDS where I bought it and then do it with them, or let them do whatever. If they said, "Flame it" - I'd take it to them and let them do it, and if they ruined it, they'd replace it. I'm certainly not going to listen to someone who will take no responsibility if I ruin my mask through some lame-brained idea.

In the meantime, as I said before, I've used toothpaste for my masks, my family's, and others. Unless something has changed drastically, and I would expect this to be brought to our attention by the manufacturer/LDS, I will keep on with the toothpaste.

Congrats on being "that guy" who wants to sue everyone for every percieved wrong. :shakehead:

If you don't want to try it, fine, don't. Don't @#$% like a baby because you are scared to try something.

BTW, Bon Ami contains feldspar which on Mohs Hardness Scale is about 6.5 and common plate glass as used in scuba masks is between 6 and 7. Therefore I would be careful with the Bon Ami.

Toothpaste contains a variety of agents and abrasives, most common is powdered mica which has a hardness between 2.5 and 3. It is not likely that toothpaste would harm an oh so scientific life support scuba mask, what good it might do it is debatable but at least it will leave a minty freshness.

Common glass has a melting point somewhere north of 2,000 degrees and silicone rubber can withstand several hundred degrees. What is it that is being flamed or burned, silicone and mold release agents mostly which are oxidized by the flame. The flaming is step one, the second step is a rinse in very hot tap water with Dawn dish soap to remove the oxidized residue.

Some of us do not need Myth Busters, we went to school and got science degrees.

N

QUOTE=Nemrod;5796780]

Some of us do not need Myth Busters, we went to school and got science degrees.

N[/QUOTE]

But do you get to blow stuff up for fun? :)

Last edited:
But do you get to stuff up for fun? :)

I have no idea what you are talking about but I would say a day without an explosion is a day without purpose or merit.

N

Sorry, a Saturday night without getting drunk and typing crap on scubaboard is a completely wasted evening.
N

First of all - what are the manufacturers of these masks doing sending off masks that are not properly cleaned of a manufacturing residue that keeps them from working as designed.

I've found that many products are this way. Metals have grease/oil on them, wood has milling marks, fiberglass has mold release...

Have you had success with a frameless mask and toothpaste? The frameless seem to be a bit more of a challenge when it comes to fog prevention. At any rate, I don't think anyone is asking you to use flame if you would rather use toothpaste. All of the various methods are about removing contaminants/manufacturing "by-products" in one way or another, as far as I know. It seems that flame is a good potential option.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom