ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why bother to search and buy special compounds when a 3min job with a borrowed ligther works in combination with baby shampoo.

We dive cold water with no fogging at all with those simple tricks.

For the win, guys this literally is not rocket surgery.

Why bother to search and buy special compounds when a 3min job with a borrowed ligther works in combination with baby shampoo. ...
I'm glad that doing such works for you. No prob, here.

I find that a layer of grunge slowly builds up on my mask lens. Inside and out. A routine glass polish removes this very easily and quickly. I use J&J baby shampoo too. Started with it, never saw a reason to quit. I use it for my mask, too.

I burn my clear lenses. Then I always wash them with Dawn Powerclean. Then at the boat I treat the lens with Seagold Gel. Works way better than my spit.

I flamed a regular DGX mask and it worked great.
DGX Ultra View Frameless Mask
It didn't have nearly as much goo on it as my Atomic Venom did. That cheap DGX is still my favorite mask. IIRC, I did not flame my prescription DGX mask. Seagold Gel works fine there as well.

Too many posts to read, cheap bic lighter flame away just keep it moving. Wipe the black scum off with soap. I burn mine a couple times

+1 for flaming. I've done 3 masks without issue. I'm not sure if it was the flaming that did it, or switching to baby shampoo as a defog, but now my wife and I are both fog free. I'm sold on flaming and baby shampoo going forward.

+1 for flaming. I must have flamed at least 8 masks over the last 45 years (yes, even the old rubber ones as well as these new-fangled silicone ones), never damaged any and always obtained good results. Also worth mentioning that most modern toothpastes are divided into pastes and gels and while both are supposed to contain similar abrasive compounds personally I've never found gels to be effective for glass cleaning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom