ever ruined a mask flaming it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I asked a dive buddy who is a chemist about this. I showed him the Mako video. He called it detritus too except he was more explicit.

The question is not what the film, contamination or detritus is called but what is the chemical reaction referred to between the toothpaste and the film, contamination, detritus?

I think the toothpaste physically removes the "detritus" mechanically with abrasives. Not important, what does work is a flame, what often does not work is toothpaste with or without detritus. N

The question is not what the film, contamination or detritus is called but what is the chemical reaction referred to between the toothpaste and the film, contamination, detritus?

I think the toothpaste physically removes the "detritus" mechanically with abrasives. Not important, what does work is a flame, what often does not work is toothpaste with or without detritus. N

He was calling the "chemical reaction" detritus. The real detritus is pretty inert.

He was calling the "chemical reaction" detritus. The real detritus is pretty inert.

Detritus is not a chemical reaction though detritus, what is left over, by definition, could be the result of a chemical reaction or the manufacturing process of the mask.

Flaming a mask is a chemical reaction, the contaminants are burned (a chemical reaction) and then are washed away with the follow up rinse with a surfactant like Dawn.

N

I can now answer the original question with.... no, I just flamed a black prescription mask and a clear frameless mask. All went well.

After waiting years to work up the nerve to try flaming, I got so annoyed with fogging issues and did it. I am sold on this method as safe and effective unless you are closing your eyes while doing it.

I can now answer the original question with.... no, I just flamed a black prescription mask and a clear frameless mask. All went well.

Ahem. Prescription masks have no residue for you to burn or scrub. That's done by the manufacturer. You had zero reason to do it. You just confirmed nada with that mask.

Ahem. Prescription masks have no residue for you to burn or scrub. That's done by the manufacturer. You had zero reason to do it. You just confirmed nada with that mask.

I think he confirmed his mask didnt catch on fire or melt...........

I have sold over 600 masks in the past three years. A combination of Scubapro, Mares, Cressi, and others. Not one student has EVER had to burn, singe, toast or roast their mask to clean it. They have all successfully used toothpaste and have had no issues with fogging in the pool or with checkout dives. Perhaps other brands require burning? I don't know. Mako's video is utter nonsense with their claims of not using abrasive toothpaste and chemical reaction claptrap.

I suspect that most people are simply not cleaning the mask for long enough or are using toothpaste with a low abrasive index. You need to use toothpaste with a high RDA. Low RDA toothpaste like those with Baking Soda or Toms will not work.

See: http://dendds.com/uploads/RDA_index.pdf

The entire process is simple. There is no magic - you're scrubbing a silicone residue off the lens surface. Silicone is resilient and requires an abrasive scrub. It should take about 2-3 minutes per side or 5 minutes for a single lens mask. Yes you can burn it off with a lighter - the Silicone is converted to Silica as a result of the oxidation and is readily removed with a wet cloth. The problem is that a) It's unnecessary and b) can damage a new mask which is then unusable.

One data point here, never used toothpaste or flames on a mask since I got my first one back in the '50's when I was a kid starting to snorkel. I spit in my mask before each dive, and have had fogging issues so rarely that when I heard about these procedures, I never bothered trying them. If I do have have this issue rear it's ugly head, I will go immediately to the Nemrod approved method.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom