ETA on OMS Hot-Dip Galvanized tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubafanatic

Contributor
Reaction score
....so, does anyone have any recent info on the price/availability of the next-generation OMS hot-dipped-galvanized tanks?

(please no 'observations' about how I should have searched potential 'old' threads on this as the search-engine won't let me search for the terms 'OMS' or 'hot' since the minimum searchable word length is 4 letters.)

Thanks!

Karl

scubafanatic:
(please no 'observations' about how I should have searched potential 'old' threads on this as the search-engine won't let me search for the terms 'OMS' or 'hot' since the minimum searchable word length is 4 letters.)

I recently raised the same issue about 4 letter minimum word length in a different forum here on Scubaboard. The response I received from one of the moderators was to add an * to the end of your three letter word. Apparently the * is a wildcard character which can also mean a blank space.

I heard (not verified, just 'heard') that OMS finally gave up on them. Doesn't surprise me - OMS has a history of trashing other gear, promising vaporware and then never delivering.

Hi Loiret and Boogie711,

Loiret, thanks for the clarification....I'll do that " * " thing from now on....makes sense to me now.

Boogie711, do you trust your OMS 'source'? ...that's a pretty big strategic decision for them to make, meaning they're gonna abandon that market to PST? ......if so, that's disappointing, as I was in the market for a couple 112's, but had held off as I was waiting for the hot-dipped versions. A few months ago I'd bought a new E8-130 and an E7-120 (all my 'older' tanks are various OMS/Faber tanks) and have been very happy with both brands, but decided I'd prefer all my future tanks be hot-dipped galvanized.......the only thing 'wrong' with the PST tanks they're underfilled a bit on boat trips, whereas OMS/Faber tanks, being LP tanks, always get good fills.....so I thought the hot-dipped galvanized OMS tanks would be the best of both worlds.....now it appears I'll have to make a tough decision on which way to go......probably end up going with more PST tanks as durability under extreme conditions is vital to me.

Karl

I see this reference to "hot dip galvanizing". Since all galvanizing is done via submersion into melted zinc compounds, and all steel cylinders from all manufacturers are coated via this process although some aftermarketers are using spray guns to spray on hot zinc powder, am I missing something?

Have you seen a Pressed Steel cylinder? Compare that to a FABER cylinder. FABER may galvanize their cylinders, but they also paint them, which is not as durable as the zinc coating on PST cylinders.

I have a high pressure US Divers 80 cubic foot laying around somewhere, does PST make this? I also have a Faber lp 105. Both are hot dipped galvanized, and all galvanizing is zinc. I have had the Faber for 14 years, and it still looks fine.....so I must be missing something.....

New Faber cylinders have white or grey paint on them, which chips easily. PST cylinders have a shiny (which turns dull with use) grey coating on them, which is the zinc coating, and is not covered by paint. If scratched, it can rust, but is much more durable than the painted Fabers.

And yes, I know what galvinization is, thanks...

Go to a dive shop that carries both if you dont get it after this post, and you will see what I am talking about...

Other tanks may not be as "durable as the zinc coating on PST cylinders..." but try getting an E8-130 PST tank these days. I'm hearing April as the ETA. What's wrong with that picture?

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom