Equipment for DIR-F - what do I need and what can I beg/borrow/rent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fireflock

Contributor
Reaction score
I am thinking about signing up for the DIR-F class at Lake Rawlings this summer, but I'm a little unclear about what the equipment requirements for DIR-F are.

I have heard different things varying from 'Everything needs to be 100% DIR' to 'GUE will let you take DIR-F with long hoses and a back-inflate BC' to 'Go the the store and buy a full DIR setup' to 'The instructors will usually let you borrow or rent a BP/Wings for the class'

I know some of the folks who post here took DIR-F recently. What were your experiences?

I have non-split fins (rubber straps), a back-inflate BC (single tank, 35lbs lift), SP MK16/S550 reg with octo bungee (I can get a long hose), and an air integrated console computer (has gauge mode - maybe an expensive non-DIR spg).

Rich S.
Greenville, NC

fireflock:
I am thinking about signing up for the DIR-F class at Lake Rawlings this summer, but I'm a little unclear about what the equipment requirements for DIR-F are.

I have heard different things varying from 'Everything needs to be 100% DIR' to 'GUE will let you take DIR-F with long hoses and a back-inflate BC' to 'Go the the store and buy a full DIR setup' to 'The instructors will usually let you borrow or rent a BP/Wings for the class'

I know some of the folks who post here took DIR-F recently. What were your experiences?

I have non-split fins (rubber straps), a back-inflate BC (single tank, 35lbs lift), SP MK16/S550 reg with octo bungee (I can get a long hose), and an air integrated console computer (has gauge mode - maybe an expensive non-DIR spg).

Rich S.
Greenville, NC

If you truly could beg, borrow, or rent, then the whole idea of gear sales, the grand scheme and primary objective of this whole marketing ploy, would end.

Plan to re-gear, with a harness, backplate, STA, long hose, P-valve on your drysuit, bunjees on your instruments, 104s, etc.

IndigoBlue:
If you truly could beg, borrow, or rent, then the whole idea of gear sales, the grand scheme and primary objective of this whole marketing ploy, would end.

Plan to re-gear, with a harness, backplate, STA, long hose, P-valve on your drysuit, bunjees on your instruments, 104s, etc.

When did you become a GUE Instructor?

The best course of action is to contact the individual instructor who will be teaching the class, andask him or her. If you don't have a class set up yet, a good person to ask would be MHK, who is on this board, or, I am sure, and of the GUE instructors would be happy to give you some direction. Their contact information is on the GUE website.

I can't imagine where IndigoBlue gets his info. You don't need 104s, an STA, or a P-valve to take DIRF.

You do need a DIR setup, though. I imagine it would behoove you to already have the gear and be familiar with it before taking the DIRF course though.

fireflock:

Rich S.
Greenville, NC

From what I understand, you do need a 100% DIR setup. This will include a backplate with wing (no more back inflate BC's), long hose/bungeed backup, short HP hose with only an SPG, etc. I don't think you can pass the class otherwise.

I've heard that you can "audit" the class - ie, participate but not have a chance to pass or fail - in a not completely DIR gear setup. As Chickdiver said, ask the instructor for specifics.

IB - just where do you get off? I don't know what side of bed you crawled out of bed on, but it was clearly the wrong one.

Sad, sad, sad.

Fireflock - Chickdiver and Jonnythan gave good advice. Exact requirements for gear are on the GUE website. Many places will let you rent what you need for the course.

Boogie711:
IB - just where do you get off? I don't know what side of bed you crawled out of bed on, but it was clearly the wrong one.

Sad, sad, sad.

Fireflock - Chickdiver and Jonnythan gave good advice. Exact requirements for gear are on the GUE website. Many places will let you rent what you need for the course.

Oh, he can rent?

Around here, you cannot. Anytime one of these instructors gives a pitch, around here, it always includes the word "discount".

That is where I am coming from, Boogie.

jonnythan:
I can't imagine where IndigoBlue gets his info.
I have an idea but since this is a family board I don't think I can say it! :wink:

Boogie711:

I have also heard that some instructors have extra BP/W setups you can use in class. But like everyone has said... check with your instructor.

Do you have a class scheduled yet?

IndigoBlue:
Oh, he can rent?

Around here, you cannot. Anytime one of these instructors gives a pitch, around here, it always includes the word "discount".

That is where I am coming from, Boogie.

Which instructors were these, and what dates were the classes in question?

Or maybe you could provide links to this?

Back
Top Bottom