My own equipment not allowed for Open Water class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Probably a bit late, but seriously, it’s not a big deal to use the shop’s hire gear for your OW.

There’s a heap of drills in the OW course that require obsolete-ish gear (drop a weight belt? Share an octopus?) when everyone’s moved on to integrated weights/BPWs/breathable inflators, etc.

I can see how it would just be too much hassle for the shop to try and deal with (possibly multiple) students with their own random gear, all of whom are front-loaded with diving for the first time, anyways.

I don't know how legit the liability reason is, but I can understand why they would want all students using the same equipment for training. For example, if some students are using octos, and others air2s, it adds some complexity to buddy breathing that they might not want to deal with.

That said, if it were me, I would at least go through my open water classes before buying anything other than fins, mask, and snorkel. Sort of tough to know what equipment you might prefer, if you just have try scuba dives under your belt. Imho

I think that maybe spot on. I got my OW with SSI back in 2001, I remember training with a BCD and an Air2. The only gear I bought at the time were my fins, mask and snorkel. I switched over to PADI in 2002 for AOW (since it was only available at the dive resort in Curacao at the time). I agree with @MtnDiverColorado. Get the dives under your belt, enjoy the process - you'll have all the time to figure out what kind of rig you want to dive in. As you dive more, you'll realize what works best for you. Happy Diving!

I recently took a “refresher” course (pool only) that was comprised of a mother and father also brushing up and their daughter taking her first OW training. Three of us had our own gear while the daughter used rental from the shop. One of the reasons I took the course was to test my old gear and make sure it was still OK, but of course the instructor and his assistant spent a lot of time telling me how “obsolete” my gear was without any realistic explanation… I actually should have replaced the BCD, but not for the reasons he gave.
Anyway, I got through the “course” and checked the box so I could dive in Nassau and then could intelligently upgrade what needed change and save what didn’t. I regard the “tune up” course merely as a hoop I had to jump through so I could go diving again after a 4 year layoff.
🐸

I regard the “tune up” course merely as a hoop I had to jump through so I could go diving again after a 4 year layoff.
🐸
You don't have to take a refresher course before you can dive again. I recommend to do a shallow dive with a buddy and practice skills.

I recently took a “refresher” course (pool only) that was comprised of a mother and father also brushing up and their daughter taking her first OW training. Three of us had our own gear while the daughter used rental from the shop. One of the reasons I took the course was to test my old gear and make sure it was still OK, but of course the instructor and his assistant spent a lot of time telling me how “obsolete” my gear was without any realistic explanation… I actually should have replaced the BCD, but not for the reasons he gave.
Anyway, I got through the “course” and checked the box so I could dive in Nassau and then could intelligently upgrade what needed change and save what didn’t. I regard the “tune up” course merely as a hoop I had to jump through so I could go diving again after a 4 year layoff.
🐸
In my limited research it depends on the dive op and how truthful you are. Many want you to have dove within the last 12 months or take a refresher with them. There is no way really for them to validate it, but it is your life on the line.

You don't have to take a refresher course before you can dive again. I recommend to do a shallow dive with a buddy and practice skills.
Depends on the dive operator and their requirements.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom