Emergency First Response Vs. Padi Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi kids,

I'm looking to continue my scuba education and would like to put it to good use. Is there a difference between the Emergency First Response and the Padi Rescue Diver course? I'm sure there is, I just want to check on the differences.

Also, if I want to volunteer to be a search and rescue/recovery diver, what sorts of training do I have to go through? My guess right now is that I would have to go through some sort of lifeguard/police academy training for scuba.

Anything you guys could give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

EFR has nothing to do with diving. It is basic CPR/ First Aid course. You need to have it or it's equivalent in order to complete your rescue course however. Because once you get the vic out of the water you better know what to do next. If you want to volunteer to do PS dives stuff you need to find out if there are any local teams. Then check to see what they require. First of all you'll need ALOT of experience in ALL types of diving. Especially low to zero vis( commonly called braille diving since you'll be seeing with your hands), cold to very cold, and mild to high currents in the same cold zero vis. Next most teams agencies take a Public Safety Diver course from a recognized agency such as PDIC. PADI has nothing even remotely close and if someone tells you they do they are blowing big smoke up your butt. ALso lifeguard training is valueable for anyone around the water but PSD is more in the line of recovery as opposed to rescue. How is your panic threshhold? Finding a body by coming face to face with it in zero vis or by sticking your hands in the chest cavity is something I'm not interested in. I know of no police academy save perhaps the FBI that has an actual dive team program. Most are setup by dept employees who see a need for this then get the proper permission, grants, financing, and training for their outfit. ALso you might want to get a couple hundred more dives in. You could post this in the PSD forum as well.

Jim,

Thanks for your help. So after getting a couple hundred more dives in, PS is definitely something I'm interested in doing. I was actually watching Ocean Force this afternoon and when I saw the search and rescue divers run in after a drowning victim, oddly enough it seemed to be my calling...the rescue part anyway. Recovery is really a bit morbid, but I think its something I can handle. Are there any agencies that you know of that are called out for rescue, or is that just the police search and rescue? ...and I guess depending on the "golden hour" a search and recovery...

One agency that is called out frequently for rescues and that is always looking for people is the United States Coast Guard. If you've not seen it check out "The Gurdian" with Kevin Costner, made me want to go and sign up if I wasn't 48 years old. You on the other hand may have a shot. Depending on location I'd guess most "rescues" are handled by local police and fire departments. Remember a water rescue may not have a "golden hour". It may be more like a golden 30 seconds or minute. There is rarely time to wait for trained divers or lifeguards from the rescues I've seen or heard of. It is up to the first person on scene to make the difference between a rescue and a recovery. Many times it's the public themselves who rise to the call. If you're serious about rescue opportunities United States Coast Guard - Home Page

PADI has nothing even remotely close and if someone tells you they do they are blowing big smoke up your butt.

There's an instructor in TX that does a PADI PSD distinctive specialty. It's about 25 dives. He's a deputy and PSD member. I haven't taken the course, but I'm willing to bet it's a pretty decent course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom