Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slight overstatement there on UK stabbings, there are stabbings in the UK and it is a problem however with a death rate of only 0.08 per 100,000 people, the United Kingdom has one of the lowest stabbing death rates in the world and compares very favourably to gun deaths in the USA which come it 13.6 per 100,000 albeit 50% of these are suicide.
That's great. News I can use. Thanks.

It's fairly easy to get a CCW permit in Maine. In fact you might not even need a permit there. I'm surprised he got so far. I don't think it's exactly appropriate to this thread though. I see where you're going with it. English cops don't carry firearms and kids go around stabbing eachother everyday.
I'm just offering the perspective of someone outside of the USA. Everywhere can seem dangerous. Egypt is not at war with its neighbors Saudi Arabia. Yemen and Gaza are many miles away. Anywhere can be individually dangerous. But most people worldwide have good intentions. Worry more about Putin. He's got ICBMs.!!!

I am going on a LOB in Hurghada this weekend, and this is my third dive trip to Egypt in 6 years, traveling from the US. Diving in the Red Sea is amazing. And at my age (57), if I wait for a lasting Middle East peace before I go back to the Red Sea, I’ll likely never dive it again. That’s the risk of NOT going.

Earlier today a US warship and two other commercial vessels were attacked by Yemeni rebels in the Red Sea. However it appears to be in the very Southern end of the region:

Houthi military spokesman Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree claimed the attacks, saying the first vessel was hit by a missile and the second by a drone while in the Bab el-Mandeb Strait that links the Red Sea to the Gulf of Aden.

AP report

Come on.. That's even further away than Gaza. Just because it mentions "Red Sea" doesn't mean it happens off Hurghada or Marsa Alam and has any significance for tourism there. Have a look at a map, please.

Come on.. That's even further away than Gaza. Just because it mentions "Red Sea" doesn't mean it happens off Hurghada or Marsa Alam and has any significance for tourism there. Have a look at a map, please
Map reading is hard if you didn’t learn geology. /s

Come on.. That's even further away than Gaza. Just because it mentions "Red Sea" doesn't mean it happens off Hurghada or Marsa Alam and has any significance for tourism there. Have a look at a map, please.
I didn't intend to imply that the attack meant it was unsafe to dive in the Egyptian Red Sea. I did look at a map, and that's why I stated that the attack was at the southern end of the region. My post was solely meant to inform. Apologies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom