Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the trip took 12 hours from Giza to Cairo. On the way back to Cairo, I hired a driver and it took 7 hours.
Dude, 12 hours from Giza to Cairo?? Egyptian Taxi drivers are notoriously known for ripping off tourists, but this is on a whole new level...

And on the way back it seems you hired the first driver's cousin 😅

I wouldn't go to the Sinai right now but I don't see any issue with doing a liveaboard out of mainland Egypt or staying in the tourist areas on the red sea. Inland Egypt has always been iffy... even 20 years ago. I wouldn't walk around with a kipa or as a woman by myself down there... but that's not new. It's always been like that.

Egypt has not wanted any part of this conflict in decades. The Egyptian people in the tourist areas nor the government have any interest in destroying their tourist industry. I would be more concerned going into a random mall in the US than being in Hurghada or a liveaboard right now.

Have you looked at a map? What kind of missile or drone can be lauched by the rebels in Yemen that could fly a 1000 miles undetected through Saudi airspace (whom they are at war with right now) only to be shot down over the red sea by an US warship?
The night before we transited through the Suez (North to South) at the end of October last year, two errant Houthi drones/missiles landed in Egypt. One hit near Taba, SW of Aqaba, and the other north of Sharm, so we had to cancel the Aqaba and Sharm port calls (I lost my dives at each). We did make our stop at Safaga, Egypt, and had two excellent dives there without any fear or concerns.

We're headed to a liveaboard in the North Red Sea in 2 weeks. I'll report back any unusual activity provided we survive the excursion.

Please cancel your trip to any dive site within Egypt. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was quite slow in part du to the cancellations ! Less divers, more space for the ones there 😅

Lol, yes, please stay at home and never leave the safety of your bedrooms. I am going to Aqaba towards the end of the year and possibly Marsa Alam between September and November. Please, don't take the risk, stay at home. I'll report back to you so you can stay home and be away from all of what's going here while still being safe.

Please cancel your trip to any dive site within Egypt. I was there 2 weeks ago and it was quite slow in part du to the cancellations ! Less divers, more space for the ones there 😅

Until it gets so slow the dive shops sell their boats and close their doors...

My post had nothing to do with what is available currently.
According to your post count, you're not new here. Which leaves me baffled as to why you appear surprised that a thread has been jacked to the point that the topic in the first post is completely unrecognizable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom