Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait, didn't North America had a war or two?

Yeah, but they learned a while back to take their wars to other people's countries and watch from a distance :)

I don't know the value of one more data point, but just to let you know, I just came back from a week long LoB to the North route (wrecks, Ras Mohamed etc) out of Hurghada. Throughout the trip we felt absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. On the boat we followed the usual dive, eat, sleep routine. In the airports and Hurghada city (Sheraton road etc) everything seemed to be "business as usual".
Unless you follow the news, nothing indicated there was a conflict nearby.
I would hapily go back next week if I could...

Friends just came over from Hurghada / Marsa Alam / Brothers etc. No one seems to have been concerned the slightest.

Enjoy the trip but keep an eye on the news until you hop on board, then stay underwater as much as possible :)

Were you guys diving in drysuits? What's water temp? Cold on boat?

I've dived in red sea in 3 times in the January/February period, one of which on a very windy week in, 5mm+ hooded vest. Should be slightly warmer in the low 20s (celcius) at the moment. In between dives if you're on a liveaboard the suit will dry fast. Trick is, keep the fuel on with snacks & warm hibiscus tea (oh I miss that as I don't find it back home).

This site says anything between 23 and 27 Hurghada Sea Temperature | December Average | Egypt | Sea Temperatures

I used to take great pleasure in taking my drysuit to Egypt in winter. Typically on the first day, there would be a few piss take comments from other divers. By the end of the first day, those comments had turned in to begrudging approval. Somewhere between the second and third day, I'd get offers to buy my drysuit!

Of course, temperature tolerance is very personal. I'm a big pussy, but some people seemed happy in shorties. Regardless, the wind on the dive deck can be absolutely miserable for those diving in a wetsuit. I've experienced temperatures as low as 21 degrees C in the Southern Egyptian Red Sea, but this graph seems about right:

sharm-el-shheikh-eg-water-temp.png

Regardless, the wind on the dive deck can be absolutely miserable for those diving in a wetsuit.
Staying warm on the surface interval will make a world of difference.

I used to take great pleasure in taking my drysuit to Egypt in winter. Typically on the first day, there would be a few piss take comments from other divers. By the end of the first day, those comments had turned in to begrudging approval. Somewhere between the second and third day, I'd get offers to buy my drysuit!

Of course, temperature tolerance is very personal. I'm a big pussy, but some people seemed happy in shorties. Regardless, the wind on the dive deck can be absolutely miserable for those diving in a wetsuit. I've experienced temperatures as low as 21 degrees C in the Southern Egyptian Red Sea, but this graph seems about right:

Yes, I've felt the cold on the surface but water temp was good. I wouldn't be overly concerned about diving in early December. So, I was just checking. 😊

Between Nov and Feb I always dive dry in the Red Sea. As long as it’s not too hot topside, you will be good underwater. I can only remember one dive when I sweated and it was because of a long swim against current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom