edible sea urchins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Red urchin in California is Strogylocentrotus franciscanus. You can probably google for pic of it.
cheers!

flyhigh123:
can anyone post a pic of the red ones? or at least give me a scientific name? thanks!

Having written a book on the subject, I am now percieved as an expert on sea urchins (never really considered that - yikes!), but here's my two cents:

both species are edible, and there is a commercial market for both, although the purple's are smaller, and have a very small demand. The larger "Reds" are the dominant species, with larger roe (about the size of your thumb).

If you have a valid sport fishing license, you are allowed to take urchins for personal consumption (up to 30 I believe). When you crack the urchin open with your dive knife, the edible portion will be obvious & with a little bit of careful cleaning, easy to separate. There are many ways to prepare uni (in a small coastal town in France, there is an annual sea urchin festival!), including fresh from the shell. At many very high-end restaraunts around the world, you can pay a huge sum to have it brought to your table "in the shell". Uni has been profiled by Julia Childs and Wolfgang Puck.

Urchin roe has a distinct flavor - very unusual, and is an acquired taste. It can change too - from time of year, and from area to area. Sometimes your roe will be firm and bright yellow, and tastes quite sweet. Other times, it may be soft and orange, tasting bitter. Springtime is spawning season - commercial harvest is limited & prices fall due to skinny, lesser quality roe.

The domestic market for uni has increased over the last 10 yrs, and now, over 80% of uni roe stays in the U.S. It has been considered by the Japanese to be an aphrodisiac, and very good for you!

Tommy
bluewatergoldrush.com

Spoon:
i love sea urchin so much one of my favs. you can tel the difference of the guts, just pick out the bright orange colored roe and leave the others behind. and fresh always tastes better.

Yep, you take a knife, and hit it around the equator and take the two parts appart. Then just dunk into the ocean and shake gently underwater. All that remains (usually) is the roe. Scoop out with finger and hey presto, snack is served.

I also noticed, that the bigger the size of the urchin does not mean more of the roe.
In Italy they have a brown and a black type. Local legend says that the black type are the male ones and that they (obviously) do not have eggs. This is of course not true, but the brown ones perhaps taste better and the eggs are a brighter orange.

I ONLY eat them fresh, taken on a free dive.

I always grab a few when I’m abalone diving too. I cut out the beak, and drain the water. Then you stick your finger in, and carefully dislodge everything. Then you just pour it all out. Take the roe, and clean it from the brown sack stuff. Give them a quick rinse with fresh water, and your ready to enjoy. (You need to be careful that you don’t cut the sides of your finger, as the shells are sharp. Your fingers are going to be stained red too)

I think that urchin divers must also do something to the roe too. They must have some sort of way to preserve them. I always have them start to milk in just a few minutes. They are very fragile, and don’t take any abuse.

They’re great raw, but you need to like uni to appreciate them.
This is a delicious recipe that everyone enjoys, and somewhat easy to make too.
http://www.hawthornelane.com/recipes/entrees/fortbraggseaurchin.html

Grab a few of the red one and give them a taste.

Mr.X:
Yummy. Smaller, so you have to work at it. X
Hmmmmmm..........so I guess eating some sea life really is more acceptable than eating another? Strange how we justify our choices! :wink:

ah, fresh uni... love that stuff... but have to admit, 1st time I had it when I was working in Japan, I had the same reaction as David. But grew to appreciate it over the years. So much that I like to shock my Japanese friends by making uni sandwiches... :D

Back
Top Bottom