edible sea urchins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veek

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is safe to eat sea urchins from the channel islands (santa barbara, CA)?

Is there a specific type of sea urchin that is used in sushi restaurants (uni)?

Certainly you can eat the red urchins (Strongylocentrotus franciscanus), although I'm not so sure about the purple (S. purpuratus), white (Lytechinus) or black (Centrostephanus) mainly due to their small size.

However, I think you need a fishing license to do so (that is to take them, not to eat them!).

Dr. Bill is correct on both counts, you need a license and the only worthwhile ones are the red's

Not many foods that I don't like, but the one time I had sea urchin I definitely did not like it ... they serve it raw at some luau over here... that and the raw cow liver did not set well on my palate - too salty ...

but glad you enjoy it ...

Aloha, Tim

My first impression of eating sea urchin (raw) was wow, this tastes like the bottom of the ocean, love the stuff. :11ztongue

dlndavid:
My first impression of eating sea urchin (raw) was wow, this tastes like the bottom of the ocean, love the stuff. :11ztongue

Is it pretty obvious what part you are to eat when you crack one open?

I like uni at the sushi bar, but am worried that I won't be able to figure out what's edible when I crack the poor guy open.

And what do you do to clean/prepare it? Raw is fine. Covered in dubious urchin guts is not.

And I've heard that fresh uni tastes different than the processed uni you get in a sushi bar. True?

D_O_H:
Is it pretty obvious what part you are to eat when you crack one open?

I like uni at the sushi bar, but am worried that I won't be able to figure out what's edible when I crack the poor guy open.

And what do you do to clean/prepare it? Raw is fine. Covered in dubious urchin guts is not.

And I've heard that fresh uni tastes different than the processed uni you get in a sushi bar. True?

Guess I should have clarified, raw, from the sushi bar, uni.

I tried one last night, how do I get rid of the spines in my mouth.

Gargle with ACME Spine Removal Mouthwash, I like the Spearmint flavor the best.:D

Back
Top Bottom