edible sea urchins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've eaten the black ones in korea but I'm not a fan. I wanted to try because I didn't want to be that guy who decides on what it looks like. Still though, it tastes a about as good as it looks.

dlndavid:
My first impression of eating sea urchin (raw) was wow, this tastes like the bottom of the ocean, love the stuff. :11ztongue

Uhhh. How did you get to taste the bottom of the ocean? :11:

Found a good link for it:

http://www.catalinaop.com/vogue1.htm

I always thought that the urchins with the smaller spines were the eating types. Guess not. I love sushi but uni is the only thing I don't like ... that and Arugula. :D

Kim:
Otters manage it OK. Maybe you just need more practice? :D

Practice makes perfect and the spines are good to use as toothpicks....all except for the toxin and barbs....

I had a very bizarre night with some Korean divers...

Korean dives LOVE every kind of seafood and particulary sea urchins.

We were having a fine time drinking Soju and talking about the days dives. Then out came the sea urchins. They merely cut them in half and scoop out all all the orange flesh. I didn't really take to it.

After eating them they used them as ashtrays. The horrible thing was, as the spines were still undulating, they walked around the table, smoking...

A horror story or amusing after dinner trick, up to you...

you can crack them open in the bottom side and wash out the guts with sea water, The edible part stiks to the shell harder and has lighter color... eat and enjoy it!

So tasty!

I just got back from dinner, and local (santa barbara) uni was on the menu!

I think I'll wait on hunting, though, until I'm comfortable with killing another animal for food. I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but on one dive, I brushed by a red sea urchin and saw it waving its tube feet. It gave me second thoughts about killing an animate object.

Also, thanks, everyone, for the info! I especially liked reading the article on the California sea urchin industry.

The only thing that bothers me about sea urchins is if you have ever seen polluted waters the only thing you see are urchins. All their more sensitive predators have either died off or vacated. I can't help but think they are just concentrators and collection vessels for their immediate environment. I wouldn't eat one unless I saw were it was harvested from.

Has anyone eaten the California purple urchin? Whats it like? Those are still much more plentiful than the red ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom