edible sea urchins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm working with some of the California sea urchin processors, acting as a liason to some of the upscale sushi bars & finer restaraunts - promoting uni & trying to come up with new recipes for uni. I'm a ..... sea urchin advocate I guess.

Maybe you can give me a clue on how they keep them from milking. I’ve removed them perfectly only to have them start to release the pus looking juice in a few minutes. They are still fine to eat just not very appealing to look at. How do the processors keep them from doing this? Any idea. !Thanks

post #22 of this thread has a link to an article that describes how urchin roe is processed. From the article:

"Women sit before long, shallow tanks of salt water and clean the roe, which are then passed through a mild preservative bath of potassium alum (also used to firm up pickles), drained, refrigerated, sorted into six grades, and packed into wooden trays..."

one of the cool things about it, is that 15 years ago, 90% of uni went to Japan. Now, almost 80% stays in the USA. Plus, since the number of divers has gone from 900 to 300, the beds & reefs are much healthier.

TK

tommyk:
Plus, since the number of divers has gone from 900 to 300, the beds & reefs are much healthier.

Not according to CDFG (California Dept. of Fish and Game). Take a look at "Status of the Fisheries Report on Red Sea Urchin" at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/seaurchin/index.html

Hopefully it won't turn out like the abolone debacle. I recall not long ago, seeing something or other regarding the blue urchins commercial promotion in the near future due to declining red urchin populations.

I realize this is the hunting forum, and I'm all for responsible hunting. But we are discussing commercial take here, and unfortunately CDFG resouce management has repeatedly erred on the side of severe resource depletion to the point it affects sport hunting, not to mention commercial sustainability.

As for what they taste like, I equate it to a "sweetened sea water" flavor. Whatever that is, one just has to try them. Yum.

Kim:
Hmmmmmm..........so I guess eating some sea life really is more acceptable than eating another? Strange how we justify our choices! :wink:

Kim....get off it. Trying to get me banned? Good first attempt.

Besides staying behind your keyboard and dashing away every useless thought that comes to mind try doing something to actually help the environment. X

Back
Top Bottom