Edge epic regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of the new regs look a lot like Apexs. One in particular brand I got a manual and parts kit for was exactly like an Apex. I compaired the parts form 2 new parts kits and both were the same. One of the ways I evaluate a new reg is on availibility of parts and information. I read parts manuals instead of sales hype, I don't care what shinny bobble you put on the outside or how you have renamed the same old feature as the latest and greatest new idea...prove it to me with technical data, the most important being exploaded views and descriptions of operation. If the company chooses not to support me and to allow me to make my own service decisions, they are removed from my buy list, that simple. I will not accept just bring it in and trust our techs. The very mention of the tired old arguments of it's too difficult and takes special training or it's life support equipment starts me adding them to the do not buy list. There is one newer brand that got thrown off my list very quickly because of they are trying to follow the SP model of hiding their info and not selling parts. The CEO gave me the "just take it to our reps" , it's too difficult for a diver to servise BS. I have serviced everything from Apexs to Zeagles and some regs that have not been made for 40 or more years. Manuals and parts do not exist for them so I have had to make custom parts so being told that I am not allowed to work on my own regs or they will not sell me parts for them is unacceptable. Just imagine how fast a car company would fail if they took that attitude......now if I can get down off the soapbox without falling. :)

hmmm....well

this is the EDGE/HOG forum so I wont speak for any other manufs.

EDGE regs are serviced by an authorized dealer. HOG regs not the same at all, program will be announced this week.

I hate the "just wait" crap as much as you guys do, the fact is I still have to write some stuff...:D I'm not quite the staffing some have.

A lot of the new regs look a lot like Apexs. One in particular brand I got a manual and parts kit for was exactly like an Apex. I compaired the parts form 2 new parts kits and both were the same. One of the ways I evaluate a new reg is on availibility of parts and information. I read parts manuals instead of sales hype, I don't care what shinny bobble you put on the outside or how you have renamed the same old feature as the latest and greatest new idea...prove it to me with technical data, the most important being exploaded views and descriptions of operation. If the company chooses not to support me and to allow me to make my own service decisions, they are removed from my buy list, that simple. I will not accept just bring it in and trust our techs. The very mention of the tired old arguments of it's too difficult and takes special training or it's life support equipment starts me adding them to the do not buy list. There is one newer brand that got thrown off my list very quickly because of they are trying to follow the SP model of hiding their info and not selling parts. The CEO gave me the "just take it to our reps" , it's too difficult for a diver to servise BS. I have serviced everything from Apexs to Zeagles and some regs that have not been made for 40 or more years. Manuals and parts do not exist for them so I have had to make custom parts so being told that I am not allowed to work on my own regs or they will not sell me parts for them is unacceptable. Just imagine how fast a car company would fail if they took that attitude......now if I can get down off the soapbox without falling. :)

Woulda thought somebody as familiar with the regulators as you indicate would have noticed it's spelled "Apeks" not "Apex." :D

Never said I could spell....may have something to do with me living in the town of Apex (and that is spelled correctly)... in any case I am not trying to be a pain cerich but there are many of us who feel it is not the business nor the duty of any manufacturer to determine who can or who can not service personally owned equipment, be it scuba or otherwise. If I were running an authorized shop it would be a totally different matter but such is not the case, I only do work for myself.
If you want to sell to this growing group of divers, a self service friendly approach is going to be in your favor. Publish your service manuals or sell them at a reasonable fee and make your parts available. Any recalls or service update can easily be handled with an email address list of registered manual holders. The whole liability thing does not hold water, nor does the “they are complicated life support equipment” argument. Why not start a trend in the Scuba industry and be the first openly DIY friendly scuba equipment company.

Never said I could spell....may have something to do with me living in the town of Apex (and that is spelled correctly)... in any case I am not trying to be a pain cerich but there are many of us who feel it is not the business nor the duty of any manufacturer to determine who can or who can not service personally owned equipment, be it scuba or otherwise. If I were running an authorized shop it would be a totally different matter but such is not the case, I only do work for myself.
If you want to sell to this growing group of divers, a self service friendly approach is going to be in your favor. Publish your service manuals or sell them at a reasonable fee and make your parts available. Any recalls or service update can easily be handled with an email address list of registered manual holders. The whole liability thing does not hold water, nor does the “they are complicated life support equipment” argument. Why not start a trend in the Scuba industry and be the first openly DIY friendly scuba equipment company.

Where as you are determined to advise me:wink:, what specifically is it that I am doing that you consider not DIY friendly?

Seriously, you have me mistaken with some other companies because what you seem to suggest I do...I don't....

EDGE is to be serviced thru EDGE dealers, EDGE is a recreational product line.Professional level recreational divers (DM,DIVCON,AI,INSTR) will be able to attend manufs clinic to service.They must affiliate with a EDGE dealer to be current.

HOG is my tech line, Technical certified divers are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to become service techs, and will be able to take the clinic thru qualified HOG dealers.

Regarding the manuals, I am rushing like a son of a you know what to finish them, may I be permitted to complete them before you berate me for not making them available?:D

Well, for what its worth, the internals of the Epic regs are simple, straightforward design. Love em.

Where as you are determined to advise me:wink:, what specifically is it that I am doing that you consider not DIY friendly?

Seriously, you have me mistaken with some other companies because what you seem to suggest I do...I don't....

EDGE is to be serviced thru EDGE dealers, EDGE is a recreational product line.Professional level recreational divers (DM,DIVCON,AI,INSTR) will be able to attend manufs clinic to service.They must affiliate with a EDGE dealer to be current.

HOG is my tech line, Technical certified divers are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to become service techs, and will be able to take the clinic thru qualified HOG dealers.

Regarding the manuals, I am rushing like a son of a you know what to finish them, may I be permitted to complete them before you berate me for not making them available?:D

Please understand me, I am not trying to difficult but I do have a problem with the idea that any company will deny me the right to parts for items I have purchased, esp since there is no good reason to do so other than dealer profit protection. Maybe I should define what I consider DIY friendly. I can walk in to any dealer and order/buy any part or item related to the reg I own with no grief and I do not need any kind of card or permission from anyone to do so. You say you are DIY friendly but then you post this: "EDGE is to be serviced thru EDGE dealers, EDGE is a recreational product line. Professional level recreational divers (DM,DIVCON,AI,INSTR) will be able to attend manufs clinic to service. They must affiliate with a EDGE dealer to be current." and this "HOG is my tech line, Technical certified divers are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to become service techs, and will be able to take the clinic thru qualified HOG dealers."

Either I totally misunderstand your post or this would not be what I would consider DIY friendly. If I understand you correctly, as a rec diver who does not work with a shop I will not be allowed to take the classes so no parts for me and even as a tech diver I still have to take a class and get the secret handshake before I can get parts.

Let’s face it, there is little real difference in modern regulators of a given class. The one thing that a company can do to distinguish itself from the others is in the realm of customer service. High on my list of important things related to customer service are parts availability, service information and when needed professional support. Being told that I am not allowed to buy parts and must instead trust my “life support equipment” to the man behind the curtain is not good customer support in my opinion. As a customer I can take my money and buy any brand I choose, I would think that a company, esp a new company, would like to know why I chose to spend my money where I did. If I get basically the same technology, customer support and price from 2 different companies and the only major difference in the two is one is an old established company and the other is a new on the market, I will without fail go with the older established company, even if it cost me more. The odds are they are more likely to be around 5 years from now when I am forced to take my reg to the man behind the curtain.
I hope that you take this in the spirit it was intended, as honest feedback from a potential customer.

Please understand me, I am not trying to difficult but I do have a problem with the idea that any company will deny me the right to parts for items I have purchased, esp since there is no good reason to do so other than dealer profit protection. Maybe I should define what I consider DIY friendly. I can walk in to any dealer and order/buy any part or item related to the reg I own with no grief and I do not need any kind of card or permission from anyone to do so. You say you are DIY friendly but then you post this: "EDGE is to be serviced thru EDGE dealers, EDGE is a recreational product line. Professional level recreational divers (DM,DIVCON,AI,INSTR) will be able to attend manufs clinic to service. They must affiliate with a EDGE dealer to be current." and this "HOG is my tech line, Technical certified divers are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to become service techs, and will be able to take the clinic thru qualified HOG dealers."

Either I totally misunderstand your post or this would not be what I would consider DIY friendly. If I understand you correctly, as a rec diver who does not work with a shop I will not be allowed to take the classes so no parts for me and even as a tech diver I still have to take a class and get the secret handshake before I can get parts.

Let’s face it, there is little real difference in modern regulators of a given class. The one thing that a company can do to distinguish itself from the others is in the realm of customer service. High on my list of important things related to customer service are parts availability, service information and when needed professional support. Being told that I am not allowed to buy parts and must instead trust my “life support equipment” to the man behind the curtain is not good customer support in my opinion. As a customer I can take my money and buy any brand I choose, I would think that a company, esp a new company, would like to know why I chose to spend my money where I did. If I get basically the same technology, customer support and price from 2 different companies and the only major difference in the two is one is an old established company and the other is a new on the market, I will without fail go with the older established company, even if it cost me more. The odds are they are more likely to be around 5 years from now when I am forced to take my reg to the man behind the curtain.
I hope that you take this in the spirit it was intended, as honest feedback from a potential customer.

Hi herman,

Thanks for the thoughtful post. i appreciate and indeed agree with some of your points.

Here is reality:),

1/ most divers dont want to service their gear
2/ most shops share that! :D
3/the industry standard is shops service, with the US legal system stepping outside a established industry standard is somewhat....risky??? The car brake argument is a good one but not one I wish to spend a few hundred thousands of $$ to make. You are free to do so by starting a dive gear company.
4/ I believe that tech divers SHOULD be service techs for their kit, not being so is detrimental to dive safety. It would be like a baja driver not being able to change the oil....
5/ I need to ensure that techs are up to speed and remain so, it's my butt on the line if they are not.
6/ in a industry where the stock answer to DIY is a very firm NO< I am very DIY friendly.

Best regards,

Chris

Herman, are you making an argument that you should be free to buy repair parts DIRECTLY from the manufacturer in order for them to be a DIY friendly manufacturer?

Or, is it your argument that you should be allowed to purchase repair parts from an AUTHORIZED dealer of that manufacturer?

If it is the former, I don't expect that anyone will EVER meet your demands. Manufacturers are not set up to sell anything directly to a consumer. There are MANY reasons for this. If your argument is the latter, then you can purchase repair parts for any regulator from some authorized dealers. Now, does that mean that EVERY dealer is willing to sell repair parts? Of course not. A dealer if absolutely free to do ANYTHING they choose, as long as it is not in violation of some condition of a contract or as long as they don't operate at some level of fear that the manufacturer will take unilateral actions against them that will have their livelihood. I have never seen a dealer agreement with any scuba manufacturer that prohibits the resale of repair parts. As a result, some retailers freely and openly resale them.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

Herman, are you making an argument that you should be free to buy repair parts DIRECTLY from the manufacturer in order for them to be a DIY friendly manufacturer?

Or, is it your argument that you should be allowed to purchase repair parts from an AUTHORIZED dealer of that manufacturer?

If it is the former, I don't expect that anyone will EVER meet your demands. Manufacturers are not set up to sell anything directly to a consumer. There are MANY reasons for this. If your argument is the latter, then you can purchase repair parts for any regulator from some authorized dealers. Now, does that mean that EVERY dealer is willing to sell repair parts? Of course not. A dealer if absolutely free to do ANYTHING they choose, as long as it is not in violation of some condition of a contract or as long as they don't operate at some level of fear that the manufacturer will take unilateral actions against them that will have their livelihood. I have never seen a dealer agreement with any scuba manufacturer that prohibits the resale of repair parts. As a result, some retailers freely and openly resale them.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Hi Phil,
I totally understand the reasons why I can't buy directly from the manuf, not a problem at all. All I want is to be able to walk into a dealer (or order from an on line dealer) and get any part I want to service any reg I own without having to have a card/cert/password/handshake or any other nonsense, just like I do with my car, lathe, power tools, guns and everything else I own. Even when I do not intend to do my own maintenance I often order service manuals so I can understand what the tech is telling me (or if I am being BSed). I would be happy to sign a liability release if being sued is the problem. As I understand it, the manufs do in fact place restrictions on who can buy parts or at least that is the song and dance I get. I typically can get pretty much any part I need but only because I have known the LDS for years and even now on occasion I get a load of grief. Just look at all the post on this board looking for reg parts; obviously they are not that common. Phil, do you sell parts and service kits for all regs you sell and if not why?

As to the liability issue, as best as I can find, it is purely a scare tactic. So far no one has been able to direct me to any legal action based solely on the sale of quality parts that were mis installed by the end user. Legal action against repair shops of all types is fairly common. I am not a lawyer but it would seem to me that providing training is a much more risky than simply selling parts. Now when someone messes up, you did not adequately train them.

All I want is to be able to walk into a dealer (or order from an on line dealer) and get any part I want to service any reg I own without having to have a card/cert/password/handshake or any other nonsense, just like I do with my car, lathe, power tools, guns and everything else I own.

As I said earlier, I know of no scuba dealer agreements that prevent the sale of regulator parts to consumers. If such a prohibition were included, how would they distinguish between some regulator parts (hoses, hose protectors, mouthpieces) and other regulator parts (parts kits, seats, diaphragms)? That being said, I know that MANY scuba manufacturers strongly discourage the resale of repair kits. It is reinforced in many ways, none of which includes inclusion in a dealer agreement.

Phil, do you sell parts and service kits for all regs you sell and if not why?

I am one of a very limited number of retailers who routinely resales some regulator repair kits. But to be honest, I don't resale every brand. As a business man, it is important to me to satisfy both my customers and my suppliers. If a supplier makes an honest request that I VOLUNTARILY choose to not sale repair kits, I may well honor that request. That decision is based on a number of business factors associated with doing business with that supplier. I don't EVER provide copies of the repair manuals or exploded diaphragms, because these are copyrighted properties of my suppliers, provided by contract from my use under the agreement, and they ARE covered in dealer agreements. I don't have any right to copy and resale them, or give them away. For their own business reasons, no manufacturer I know offers them as a skew for resale.

As to the liability issue, as best as I can find, it is purely a scare tactic. So far no one has been able to direct me to any legal action based solely on the sale of quality parts that were mis installed by the end user. Legal action against repair shops of all types is fairly common.

Well, liability concerns are certainly not just a scare tactics. Liability concerns are real and concrete. Every dealer and every manufacturer pays for the reality of liability concerns each year when they pay their insurance premiums. My "cost of liability" for 2009 was $12,206.00, NOT including instructor and dive master insurance. While it is not a specific requirement of my current general liability policy, the resale of "materials, supplies, and goods typically associated with the repair and maintenance of air delivery devices and life support equipment" was SPECIFICALLY forbidden in my policies from 2000 until 2006. Of course, I wasn't FORCED to follow the dictates of my policy. But, had there been a legal action, regardless if I was right or wrong, they would have refused to defend me in those actions

There is another issue. At some point in time, a "DYI friendly" manufacturer will be sued by someone who purchased regulator repair parts. (Oh, it doesn't matter if you sign a waiver...it's not you that is a worry) When they are, representatives from other manufacturers will be called to court to clarify the "prevailing standard of care" in regard to the sale of repair parts to people of "unknown skill and training". All will say it is certainly not the prevailing standard to provide these directly to consumers. This will certainly result in a bad outcome for the "DIY friendly" company.

Now, many will say that they know just as much about regulator repair as the "tank monkey" in the local scuba store. I am certainly not going to argue that point, because I think it is the truth in many situations. But DIY consumers lack one important thing....a contractual relationship with a specific dealer who is operating under a signed contract, installing parts for a dealership that is covered by a specific liability insurance policy to which the manufacturer is named as an additional insured. To put it more directly......my poorly skilled tank monkey is EASIER TO DEFEND FROM A LEGAL STANDPOINT than a much more highly skilled DYI regulator technician. Remember, liability cost has little to the with the actual settlement in potential case and EVERYTHING to do about the cost of defense. Remember, I didn't write the rules of society and commerce....I am just forced to follow them.

To be honest, the avenue that Chris is offering should be HERALDED by you, not criticized. He is the only manufacturer that you can name that is willing to allow you to attend one of his repair clinics without the requisite "lie" that you are a part of a scuba store staff. Personally, I think he should have just kept quiet about it. After all, it isn't paying off very well for him in the first public introduction of his innovative plan to offer support to DYI technicians.

Oh well, just another perspective.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom