Question Eddy current testers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes and @tursiops posted a link to a facility in Lubbock. Or the OP can check the current PHMSA list here: Cylinder Requalifiers | PHMSA

There are 621 requalifiers in TX alone and dozens in Houston so the right way to do this is to search by zip code and call them. But as mentioned, shops are unlikely to fill a 6351 cylinder anyway and they are at least 33yrs old at this point. It's highly unlikely that the value of the cylinder is worth requalifying +VE at this point.
I have already checked with the RIN locator. You’re right. VE is rare, but I found two matched tanks NOS.

For a hydro and eddy you may want to try these guys in our neighborhood:
PBI Gases – Industrial, Medical and Specialty Gases

I used to use Western Sales and Testing, but they no longer do scuba. They have a link to the above web site on their page.
Yes Roger retired. I use a different guy kind close to western sales. I can give you contact information if you want. They don’t do eddy current testing though.

Yes, thanks neighbor.

You may consider separating the two task (hydro and eddy) and have the eddy done at a LDS. Sea Sports used to do them, but as you know they've retired and sold all of the shops.

Yes, thanks neighbor.

You may consider separating the two task (hydro and eddy) and have the eddy done at a LDS. Sea Sports used to do them, but as you know they've retired and sold all of the shops.
Did you request photos of my regs for sale? I’m so clumsy on scuba board. Now I can’t find the message.

Yes and @tursiops posted a link to a facility in Lubbock. Or the OP can check the current PHMSA list here: Cylinder Requalifiers | PHMSA

There are 621 requalifiers in TX alone and dozens in Houston so the right way to do this is to search by zip code and call them. But as mentioned, shops are unlikely to fill a 6351 cylinder anyway and they are at least 33yrs old at this point. It's highly unlikely that the value of the cylinder is worth requalifying +VE at this point.

What do you recommend to do with 6351 alloy? Is it worth it to get them tested if you have a compressor? Or is it better to just junk them?

I have 3 (1 100 and 2 80's) that need to do something... either be junked or eddy.

@tursiops, what say you?

I got rid of mine. Not worth the effort and argument, but I don't have a compressor.
If you can fill them and take the proper precautions, then the risk/rewards ratio changes.
Eddy testing annually is a good idea, but it is often done poorly.
A good visual inspection is mandatory. Have you done the PSI class?
Junking them will bring you a few bucks...and then you don't have to think about them anymore.

Junking them will bring you a few bucks...and then you don't have to think about them anymore.
This is probably where I'm at then. I didn't pay anything for them, they just came with a bundle of crap in a purchase. I don't want to be bothered with a yearly Eddy test, that sounds like a pain.

I have not done the PSI class yet (or equivalent)... it's on the list.

Did you request photos of my regs for sale? I’m so clumsy on scuba board. Now I can’t find the message.
Yes, click the envelope next to your name in the upper left of the screen and a drop down menu should appear.

Yes, thanks neighbor.

I don't know how this would work. The VE needs to be done by an authorized retester not just a guy with an eddy current at a scuba shop (who can't legally mark the OP's cylinders).

Back
Top Bottom