Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hog edge....

Not a fan of [Air2] and similar octos. As an inflator they are more awkward to operate. As a safe 2nd in a true emergency they are significantly more difficult to deal with unless you train with them frequently. When is that going to happen in real life?

You also asked for easy service. Those are not it. Some tend to trap saltwater in the BC hose unless you do a lot of conscientious rinsing. This make them more prone to corrosion problems and failure. An acquaintance that uses one had a corrosion/stuck failure the first day on a week long trip after having only used it once that year on an earlier trip, maybe 10 dives. Normal rinsing was done after each dive day. There was a service dept at the dive shop that luckily could deal with it overnight and made us aware of this issue.

On paper, an interesting idea. In the water, not so hot.

Have you dived the Air2/clone
Yes, I have, three different types. Unless one practices with it, it does not seem be robust to a little nervousness and even marginal panic, and it is definitely harder to control one's ascent than is a traditional, simple inflator. I've also seen several LPIs that began leaking air into the BCD because of clogged innards, and it was trivial to replace them with the $20 clones from DGX, as a field repair while on a dive boat. If it had been an "Air2" it would not have been possible.

I'm sure you and I would have no problems using one safely. It is the once-per-year vacation diver, who probably has not practiced a buddy ascent since OW class, that I worry about.

Air2 type devices are great in my opinion but they're far more expensive than a "normal" second stage. I'm pretty sure I paid almost $300 for the one I bought new. I don't remember what I paid for the second one that I bought used.

Scuba.com has an xs-scuba octo new for $79.00. However, I have an xs-scuba "altair" octo and can confirm it's not great to breathe from.
scuba.com has a bunch of "low end" second stages that are in the $110-150 price range brand new.
Diving Octopus, Scuba Octopus, Scuba Diving Octo & Spare Air Page 2

Scubapro changes out the appearance of their regulators nearly every year and then they blow out their old stock at a huge discount. I got an r295 and an mk2 first stage (threw the mk2 into my bag as a spare) for $175. It's just now 2018 so I bet the scubapro deals will be happening soon - check your local dealer as I'm not sure if dealers can advertise the sale prices.

Also, it's worth considering buying used. There's usually plenty of used regulators on scubaboard's classifieds or on facebook's various scuba groups. Here's someone selling an Apex XTX50 for $150 For Sale - Apeks Black Sapphire/XTX50 Octo/Apeks Depth/SPG Console Here's an old first with two second stages and gauges for only $100 For Sale - Dacor Regulator with 1st and 2nd Stages; integrated computer You could probably keep one of the seconds and sell the rest of the kit for most of what you paid.

Yes, I have, three different types. Unless one practices with it, it does not seem be robust to a little nervousness and even marginal panic, and it is definitely harder to control one's ascent than is a traditional, simple inflator. I've also seen several LPIs that began leaking air into the BCD because of clogged innards, and it was trivial to replace them with the $20 clones from DGX, as a field repair while on a dive boat. If it had been an "Air2" it would not have been possible.

I'm sure you and I would have no problems using one safely. It is the once-per-year vacation diver, who probably has not practiced a buddy ascent since OW class, that I worry about.
I know it's not what this thread is about, but installing a regular power inflator in place of an air2 should not be any trouble at all. The only extra work vs replacing a normal inflator is unscrewing the adapter from your power inflator hose (or just replacing the hose). If you find that unappealing, you could always put an extra air2 in your SAD bag, but it really is a simple changeover.

I know it's not what this thread is about, but installing a regular power inflator in place of an air2 should not be any trouble at all. The only extra work vs replacing a normal inflator is unscrewing the adapter from your power inflator hose (or just replacing the hose). If you find that unappealing, you could always put an extra air2 in your SAD bag, but it really is a simple changeover.
And then you do not have an alternate air source. So you need to carry an octo and hose....as well as a spare inflator.

And then you do not have an alternate air source. So you need to carry an octo and hose....as well as a spare inflator.
That's what I do, since I had a regular second stage that I replaced with the air2. All the old parts went into the SAD bag along with a $20 power inflator just in case.

Now that I think about it, the LP hose from the air2 would connect to the other second stage. I'd have to add the LPI hose back onto my first stage (also in the bag) and connect it to the regular power inflator.

That's what I do, since I had a regular second stage that I replaced with the air2. All the old parts went into the SAD bag along with a $20 power inflator just in case.

Now that I think about it, the LP hose from the air2 would connect to the other second stage. I'd have to add the LPI hose back onto my first stage (also in the bag) and connect it to the regular power inflator.

I like the feel of the Air2 as an inflator, so I left mine attached after I decided I didn't like it as a safe second and added a dedicated safe second.

An alternative could be to change your BCD inflator with an integrated one like this (AIR: alternate inflating regulator), you will save the second stage, the dangling tube and the first stage port, and normally it costs a way less than a regulator (depending of the brand):

View attachment 441911

I imagine that I'm with a newly certified diver who ran out of air. I hand them the Air2 and they don't know which button to push and the purge button is not as obvious as it is on a regular second stage so we might go shooting up to the surface or dropping to the bottom. So, naturally I hand them my primary and I use the Air2. But I can't remember which button to push to let the air out of my BC. Oh, let's see, if I go up to about 8 feet I'll be able to tell which button is Red. What's the Red one for again?

Just saying.

PS: Please don't buy one of those Chinese Octopuses for $17.

why wouldnt you primary donate when using an air2?

to op, you can find used conshelf 2nds (just avoid the yellow octos) and older scubapro 2nds (g200, r190 etc) for less than 40 dollars that can be repaired with a cheap second stage kit from vintage double hose

:)Am I going to die
If you never have to use it, it works fine.
I only started diving in 1971, b/c’s were going to kill us, dive computers were going to kill us, now inflators, I’m getting really old waiting for these things to kill me:)

I do carry a standard inflator and reg but have never had to switch because of a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom