Dysentery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genetically? Really?? Now you need to educate genomic scientists too. . . I'd love to hear your explanation of how this mechanism works.

FWIW, the leading suspect for Salmonella contamination inside the shell of chicken eggs, is the over application of antibiotics in the chicken feed resulting in contamination of the egg before it is "extruded". Again from the CDC

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Not genetically, passed on from the mother. The first part of my sentence is not at all incorrect, just that word, my apologies. The DNA is not affected.
The quote you provided from the CDC says nothing about antibiotics, you'll need to cite something else to get to your conclusion.

And I stand by- that if the eggs are not washed, salmonella on the outside of the egg is less likely to penetrate the inside of the egg. THAT is why US eggs MUST be refrigerated after washing, which is done at the factory. Find a single citation where the CDC says it is safe to not refrigerate eggs. They won't- it is required for food safety in the US, because unrefrigerated eggs that have been stripped of their protective coating can grow bacteria which can penetrate the egg due to the lack of that coating. If they are not washed at the factory (like many other countries do), they do not need to be refrigerated. Of course they need to be washed before final use, regardless of what country you are eating them in. It is the washing practices required by the CDC that cause us to have to refrigerate our eggs.

I don't have my poutry science paperwork anymore, I tossed stuff from college a long time ago, but will you accept a non US source?
https://www.fsai.ie/faq/egg_washing.html
During washing, the natural barriers in the shell can be compromised and Salmonella may pass into the inside of the egg where it has the opportunity to grow.
Egg washing on factory farms is well established and has guidelines to follow to keep them safe, but it also opens up a lot of room for error. Setting your eggs on the counter and forgetting about them for just a few hours, especially if it is warm and there is a temperature change from the store, can open them up to bacterial growth. In this case, an unwashed egg would have been safer.

Here's another one.
PLOS ONE: Effect of Egg Washing and Correlation between Eggshell Characteristics and Egg Penetration by Various Salmonella Typhimurium Strains
Polymerase Chain Reaction results demonstrated that S. Typhimurium strain 2 (103 and 105 CFU/mL), and strain 5 (103 and 105 CFU/mL) egg penetration was significantly higher (p<0.05) in washed eggs when compared to unwashed eggs. Statistical analysis of the agar penetration experiment indicated that S. Typhimurium was able to penetrate washed eggs at a significantly higher rate when compared to unwashed eggs (p<0.05).

EU's explanation for banning egg washing:
EUR-Lex - 32008R0589 - EN - EUR-Lex
Cold eggs left out at room temperature may become covered in condensation, facilitating the growth of bacteria on the shell and probably their ingression into the egg. Therefore, eggs should be stored and transported preferably at a constant temperature, and should in general not be refrigerated before sale to the final consumer.
(8) In general, eggs should not be washed or cleaned because such practices can cause damage to the egg shell, which is an effective barrier to bacterial ingress with an array of antimicrobial properties. However, some practices, such as the treatment of eggs with ultra-violet rays, should not be interpreted as constituting a cleaning process. Moreover, Class A eggs should not be washed because of the potential damage to the physical barriers, such as the cuticle, which can occur during or after washing. Such damage may favour trans-shell contamination with bacteria and moisture loss and thereby increase the risk to consumers, particularly if subsequent drying and storage conditions are not optimal.

I'm not making this stuff up. It comes from a very small background in poulty science from when I was in college. Washed eggs can be at more risk of bacteria from the outside of the egg penetrating the inside. Less cooked eggs in the US are not safer than less cooked eggs in Mexico. Cook your egg where ever you go.

Last edited:
After 5 days of suffering 2 days of fever and the last few days the "other" symptom I went to the doctor yesterday. Diagnosed with severe travelers diarrhea I got a Rx for Cipro. Finally! I am now recovering I believe.

After 5 days of suffering 2 days of fever and the last few days the "other" symptom I went to the doctor yesterday. Diagnosed with severe travelers diarrhea I got a Rx for Cipro. Finally! I am now recovering I believe.

Glad you are feeling better!

I think eggs stay good longer when refrigerated, don't they? Refrigerating may well also slow pathogen development; sounds like it would.

I remember a GF I had in college who came back from a trip with a taste for a new cocktail: Sidecar. Of course I'd do whatever the GF wante
d so I looked it up in a drink book, and it required white of a raw egg - so I made them for her. Glad she never got ill, but the alcohol may have helped.
Yeah, I won't go unless I have to. Hope you get better soon.

And I stand by- that if the eggs are not washed, salmonella on the outside of the egg is less likely to penetrate the inside of the egg. THAT is why US eggs MUST be refrigerated after washing, which is done at the factory.

My emphasis added. You're missing the point entirely. If Salmonella is removed (or largely removed) from the outside of the egg, there is nothing to penetrate.

Lets get back to third world countries, where this started. You're living in a bubble if you believe there isn't chicken s**t on the outside of eggs, don't wash it off, a little cavalier handling of eggs during cookings and pesto-squirto, a nice case of turista/Montezuma's Revenge/Bali Belly yadda yadda.

As for the effect of antibiotics on chickens. From University of Delaware:

Benefits of Antibiotic use in Animal Feed
The benefits of antibiotics in animal feed include increasing efficiency and growth rate, treating clinically sick animals and preventing or reducing the incidence of infectious disease. By far the major use of antibiotics among these, however, is increased efficiency, i.e. a more efficient conversion of feed to animal products, and an improved growth rate. In chicken feed, for example, tetracycline and penicillin show substantial improvement in egg production, feed efficiency and hatchability, but no significant effect on mortality. Chlorotetracycline, oxytetracyclin and penicillin also show an improved growth rate, but little effect on mortality. Antibiotics in animal feed, in general, are used regularly for increased efficiency and growth rate than to combat specific diseases.

Risks of Antibiotics in Animal Feed

After animals have been fed antibiotics over a period of time, they retain the strains of bacteria which are resistant to antibiotics. These bacteria proliferate in the animal. Through interaction, the resistant bacteria are transmitted to the other animals, thus forming a colonization of antibiotic resistant bacteria. The bacteria flourish in the intestinal flora of the animal, as well as, in the muscle. As a result, the feces of the animal often contain the resistant bacteria. Transfer of the bacteria from animal to human is possible through many practices. The primary exposure of humans to resistant bacteria occurs in farms and slaughterhouses. Humans clean the feces, which contain the bacteria, of the animals on farms. During the cleaning process, humans may get bacteria on their body and hands. If the body or hands are not properly cleaned, the bacteria could be ingested by the person. Likewise, in slaughterhouses, during slaughter, the intestine is severed. Resistant bacteria are exposed to slaughterhouse workers, which could get the bacteria on their bodies and hands. Transmission occurs when the bacteria is ingested. Along with the previous sources of contamination, humans can get infected by eating meat from animals with resistant bacteria. Even though cooking reduces the survival of the bacteria, some may still survive and infect the human. For example, 1983, 18 people in four midwestern states developed multi-drug resistant Salmonella food poisoning after eating beef from cows fed antibiotics (1). After initial transmission and infection to humans, the transmission to other humans has a couple paths. Transmission can take place through the many mediums (aerosol, physical contact, and bodily fluids) of human contact in the community. An infected individual may also be admitted to a hospital for treatment. Treatment may not work in drug resistant bacteria, therefore, identifying a drug resistant infection. Bacteria is transmitted to other patients via the hospital environment or health care worker=s hands. After transmission, the bacteria will colonize in several of the patients. Colonization in other patients with other resistant bacteria can produce bacteria with multi-drug resistance. Once the patients recover, they are discharged into the community. These patients could potentially infect several community members. Multiple infection could potentially produce a supergerm which is resistant to many drugs due to resistance sharing between bacteria.

----- and after a bit more research-----
It appears chicken eggs in the EU come from hens vaccinated against Salmonella.

Would you like to take bets how may third world countries follow a similar practice?

I was gonna say go buy some cipro, but I try to avoid having to wear my special suit:

Fire_fighters_practice_with_spraying_equipment,_March_1981.jpg

It appears chicken eggs in the EU come from hens vaccinated against Salmonella.
Why don't we do that in the US?

Why don't we do that in the US?

Again, isn't that more than a little off topic. We're talking about a third world country. Chicken eggs come covered in chicken sh**t. Chicken sh**t naturally contains salmonella. Good luck hoping that who ever is cooking your breakfast is going to employ first world techniques in food handling??

Or would you rather bet on having your eggs fully cooked?

[video=youtube;8Xjr2hnOHiM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM[/video]

Again, isn't that more than a little off topic. We're talking about a third world country. Chicken eggs come covered in chicken sh**t. Chicken sh**t naturally contains salmonella. Good luck hoping that who ever is cooking your breakfast is going to employ first world techniques in food handling?? Or would you rather bet on having your eggs fully cooked? YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xjr2hnOHiM

I've eaten thousands of unwashed eggs which had chicken **** on their shells. Fried, poached, scrambled, raw, etc. I didn't mix the **** in (ewwww) but I didn't scrub the shells clean.

Never, not once, have I had an issue.

Again, isn't that more than a little off topic. We're talking about a third world country. Chicken eggs come covered in chicken sh**t. Chicken sh**t naturally contains salmonella. Good luck hoping that who ever is cooking your breakfast is going to employ first world techniques in food handling??

Or would you rather bet on having your eggs fully cooked?

Nice video choice!!

I love me some motulenos:

IMG_3293.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom