Dysentery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I am the only guy who got amoebas? Everyone going on and on about the bacteria and no love for the amoebas.

Oh and the wife had campylobacter once. She enjoyed that.....

Still think I will take a chance on the motulenos. Those yokes splitting an running are so pretty. But they are mixed with beans and red sauce. I think that makes them safe....

My wife got amoebas once, but I have forgotten what trip that was. We've been so many places and gotten sick so many times that it's all a blur. It's funny but the foreign country I have traveled to the most is the one in which I have never (knock on wood) gotten sick: Mexico. I've eaten from street carts and hole-in-the-walls from Tijuana to Mexico City to Yucatan and somehow my luck has held out. In about four weeks I'll have my next chance to pick up some foreign bug, in Coz. I will try not to think about this thread when I'm eating huevos motulenos at Casa Mexicana.

Why would anyone want raw milks anyway? I survived those days, but it was our own cow, dad milking, etc. so we knew the background of the product as good as possible in those days. Pasteurizing milk has saved so many lives and prevented other infections...!!

When I see goats wandering around on Caribbean islands I find myself wondering if the locals drink/eat unpasteurized goat's milk and cheese? I can't help but wonder if they've ever had an outbreak of Listeriosis; a bacterial infection of the blood that can infect the spinal cord and brain and cause a very serious meningitis. Outbreaks are usually caused by contaminated foods, especially unpasteurized dairy products.

Sometimes it is a bit of a burden to know "too much" about the infectious dangers that are lurking out there in the big wide world; but I have come to terms with it. I think that the nasty bout of Shigella dysentery that I caught close to home helped me to understand that there are risks everywhere and you just need to be careful and go on about your business and enjoy life.

It's kind like driving a car; you do your best to be a safe driver but sometimes accidents happen so you have insurance and hope that an accident won't be too severe; but you don't stop driving/riding in a car because there are risks.

And I won't stop traveling to beautiful locations to dive and enjoy the local culture; I will just be careful to minimize, but not eliminate, the risks.

---------- Post added February 7th, 2015 at 12:11 PM ----------

My wife got amoebas once, but I have forgotten what trip that was. We've been so many places and gotten sick so many times that it's all a blur. It's funny but the foreign country I have traveled to the most is the one in which I have never (knock on wood) gotten sick: Mexico. I've eaten from street carts and hole-in-the-walls from Tijuana to Mexico City to Yucatan and somehow my luck has held out. In about four weeks I'll have my next chance to pick up some foreign bug, in Coz. I will try not to think about this thread when I'm eating huevos motulenos at Casa Mexicana.

When I have been drinking and partying and having fun, I am sometimes tempted to disregard my own safety recommendations and just "have fun and eat and drink what I want because I am on vacation!" But then I imagine eating the food directly out of the toilet (not an unreasonable comparison) and that usually brings me back to my senses! Have fun eating food out of those street vendor carts, yummy!

Last edited:
. . .
When I have been drinking and partying and having fun, I am sometimes tempted to disregard my own safety recommendations and just "have fun and eat and drink what I want because I am on vacation!" But then I imagine eating the food directly out of the toilet (not an unreasonable comparison) and that usually brings me back to my senses! Have fun eating food out of those street vendor carts, yummy!

The safety of street vendor carts is pretty easily judged. If it's a popular cart that the locals flock to, I think it's reasonable to follow their lead. Same for popular restaurants: if it's packed, I take that as a good sign. Of course, there are food safety risks even at popular restaurants--you never know if you will draw the unlucky number that night. But I think your "toilet" analogy is way off base. I'd rather sample local food with gusto at the risk of occasional traveler's diarrhea than live on familiar foods that have been cooked to death for me. The food is a big draw for me when I travel. If the food aspect of a dive trip didn't matter to me, I'd probably go to, say, Roatan or Cayman. But I love Mexican food.

Sometimes it is a bit of a burden to know "too much" about the infectious dangers that are lurking out there in the big wide world.

You got that right. I watched a TED talk last night on the spread of the anopheles mosquito and dengue fever over the past 30 years. Yow.

The safety of street vendor carts is pretty easily judged. If it's a popular cart that the locals flock to, I think it's reasonable to follow their lead. Same for popular restaurants: if it's packed, I take that as a good sign. Of course, there are food safety risks even at popular restaurants--you never know if you will draw the unlucky number that night. But I think your "toilet" analogy is way off base. I'd rather sample local food with gusto at the risk of occasional traveler's diarrhea than live on familiar foods that have been cooked to death for me. The food is a big draw for me when I travel. If the food aspect of a dive trip didn't matter to me, I'd probably go to, say, Roatan or Cayman. But I love Mexican food.

Hey it's your body and your vacation and your business; but you probably realize that you may be risking more than an inconvenient case of traveler's diarrhea - but again it's your decision.

But the toilet analogy is not off-base and it is not just my opinion. These diseases are transmitted by eating food and drinking water that has been contaminated with human and/or animal feces.

That's not a myth or a theory; it's an inherent part of the life-cycles of these micro-organisms. It's how they survive and find a new host so they can continue to reproduce. When the host's body starts to make antibodies to attack the invaders, it's time for them to move on and find another susceptible host.

And my concern about street vendor carts is not just because my friend (the street vendor gourmet!) has suffered permanent neurological damage after acquiring Toxoplasmosis in Mexico; below are the Center for Disease Control's Travel Health recommendations for Mexico and they specifically advise against eating food sold by street vendors.

I love visiting Mexico and I enjoy trying new things and local flavors too, but I don't buy them from street carts - but that's my decision.

I'm honestly not trying to dampen your fun during your upcoming vacation. I have some professional expertise in this area and I was trying to share some information with other interested individuals.

I truly hope that you have a great trip and a really good time and you stay healthy. I hope that for all of us.

CDC Travel Health Recommendations (Mexico):

Learn actions you can take to stay healthy and safe on your trip. Vaccines cannot protect you from many diseases in Mexico, so your behaviors are important.

Eat and drink safely

Unclean food and water can cause travelers' diarrhea and other diseases. Reduce your risk by sticking to safe food and water habits.
Eat

• Food that is cooked and served hot
  • Hard-cooked eggs
  • Fruits and vegetables you have washed in clean water or peeled yourself
  • Pasteurized dairy products
Don't Eat

• Food served at room temperature
  • Food from street vendors
  • Raw or soft-cooked (runny) eggs
  • Raw or undercooked (rare) meat or fish
  • Unwashed or unpeeled raw fruits and vegetables
  • Unpasteurized dairy products
  • ”Bushmeat” (monkeys, bats, or other wild game)
Drink

• Bottled water that is sealed
  • Water that has been disinfected
  • Ice made with bottled or disinfected water
  • Carbonated drinks
  • Hot coffee or tea
  • Pasteurized milk
Don’t Drink

• Tap or well water
  • Ice made with tap or well water
  • Drinks made with tap or well water (such as reconstituted juice)
  • Unpasteurized milk
Take Medicine

Talk with your doctor about taking prescription or over-the-counter drugs with you on your trip in case you get sick.
Eating raw dairy products and vegetables in Mexico can put you at risk for serious infections.

Last edited:
KathyV, I can see you are a food safety warrior, so I will not argue with you. As for the CDC's posted recommendations, I give them only slightly more weight than I give the US State Department's travel warnings, which are worded in a way that might make one think some horrible misfortune is likely as soon as one steps outside the US. There are risks, undeniably. A travel buddy of mine, with whom I have traveled to Asia and Africa among other places, is a CDC epidemiologist (MD and PhD). We've talked many times about the risks of all kinds of things--food, malaria, etc. On the one hand, he's frank about the risks. On the other hand, he's not an especially risk-averse guy, traveling to the hot zones and all that. Well, neither am I. We've eaten some crazy things in some crazy places. You clearly see the risk/benefit tradeoff differently than I do. Enough said here?

Why would anyone want raw milks anyway? I survived those days, but it was our own cow, dad milking, etc. so we knew the background of the product as good as possible in those days. Pasteurizing milk has saved so many lives and prevented other infections...!!

Jeez, ya old fogie. Everything comes around again. Nothing more hip and natural and good for you than some raw milk for your unvaccinated kids. Soon you might even be able to send them to a sweat shop too!

You got that right. I watched a TED talk last night on the spread of the anopheles mosquito and dengue fever over the past 30 years. Yow.

Nice. Is that new Ted movie where they sneak into Tom Brady's house?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom