Dysentery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

darook

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fourth trip to CZM but the first time getting hit with it. I was the only person in my group of 24 to get so definitely not blaming Scuba Club. I must have not been careful enough in the shower or something. I think it started a bit Tuesday but I was able to fight it off until yesterday when we were done diving.

I tried sucking on lime slices and that has not helped. Any advice besides Immodium?

This SUCKS!

As a preventative measure, we have always (upon the advice of the boy's pediatrician prior to our first trip to Mexico), chewed a Pepto Bismol tablet twice a day.

Most trips down, I've had to resort to Immodium for a day or three.

We are not careful, (not careless), but certainly not careful.

The best treatments depends on the cause: "It is caused by a number of types of infection such as bacteria, viruses, parasitic worms, or protozoa." You need to work on oral rehydration, but beyond that - most wait it out. A medical exam with tests may be needed if it gets bad enough. More info at google search.

The best treatments depends on the cause: "It is caused by a number of types of infection such as bacteria, viruses, parasitic worms, or protozoa." You need to work on oral rehydration, but beyond that - most wait it out. A medical exam with tests may be needed if it gets bad enough. More info at google search.

Absolutely right on all counts.

I grew up about an hour from the border and spent many weekends in border towns. The 2 pepto bismal tablets a day trick always seemed to work, but it turns your poop green. Knock on wood, last several trips I have not worried about it and been fine. I try to avoid lettuce and other produce...but I can't resist tomatoes...sometimes it's just your turn. Imodium, Gatorade, and ibuprofen are your friends right now. No beer or sweets, stick to clear fluids and food as tolerated.

good luck.

I use a probiotic (culturelle) 2 weeks before travelling and the entire time I'm gone. Seems to help me ward things off.
If I get hit, I take a day to let it pass....lots of liquids. After that its Pepto or any clay-based solution. I would have to be in a real emergency situation to take imodium. That treatment is worse than the cure.

I think he is using the term Dysentery loosely as I don't think he has seen a physician? While there are different types of Dysentery with a variety of causes, there are other illnesses possible from food & water, and others that seem similar. I think I've had more such problems with my own cooking that from travels, and then there's handling money & doorknobs, flying in a cramped cabin of low humidity, etc! :eek:

Good luck with your symptoms. Stay hydrated & rested, and see a doctor if it gets worse.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom