Dunked First stage- Service Necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ojai Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So rinsing my gear and I made the mistake of not placing the dust cap on my first stage before placing in fresh water bath. Local dive shop recommends a complete service. (Last service was 3 years and 35 dives ago.)

Do you all concur with the dive shop? Or is there something I can do here at home?

Thanks.

Not just because of this one incident in FRESH water. I would just put the first stage on a full tank and press the purge button(s) on all second stages for a long while to get the high pressure air to push any water out of the second stages (and BC inflator). I would remove the HP gauge hose first and hang it with the gauge up and hose down to drain any potential water out (replace the HP port plug back in the port of course). If there are other issues, then a complete overhaul service maybe warranted.

Last edited:
Three years ago is a reasonable length of time anyway. I don't know the conditions that you have stored your regs in (heat/ cold and humidity?) but time alone can deteriorate o-rings and seals. 35 dives isn't many, but sometimes other issues can be a good reason to service a reg. (Speaking as an Engineer not just a diver)

Not just because of this one incident in FRESH water. I would just put the first stage on a full tank and press the purge button(s) on all second stages for a long while to get the high pressure air to push any water out of the second stages (and BC inflator). I would remove the HP gauge hose and hang it with the gauge up and hose down to drain any potential water out. If there are other issues, then a complete overhaul service maybe warranted.

I am of the same mind, having encountered this mistake a dozen times this summer with various people borrowing equipment. No harm done.

Regards,
Cameron

I am of the same mind, having encountered this mistake a dozen times this summer with various people borrowing equipment. No harm done.

Regards,
Cameron

I have at least one student in a class does it and we just do what I suggested earlier, no subsequent issues. Salt water or prolonged immersion is a totally different story however :)

Last edited:
Not just because of this one incident in FRESH water. I would just put the first stage on a full tank and press the purge button(s) on all second stages for a long while to get the high pressure air to push any water out of the second stages (and BC inflator). I would remove the HP gauge hose and hang it with the gauge up and hose down to drain any potential water out. If there are other issues, then a complete overhaul service maybe warranted.
Thanks. Should I remove the HP gauge hose before I pressurize to avoid water from being driven into the gauge?

Also, given that these are generally well taken care of, what is a reasonable time span or dive could for service?

Thanks all!

Thanks. Should I remove the HP gauge hose before I pressurize to avoid water from being driven into the gauge?

Also, given that these are generally well taken care of, what is a reasonable time span or dive could for service?

Thanks all!

I do remove the HP hose first and plug it, but likely not needed. When removing it, just keep the gauge the highest point so water doesn't run.

I don't have a good answer regarding your second question. The service interval for a reg is between 50+ years to several times per year depending who I talk to.

You will probably get different responses here to this question but for me, I'd service my regulator every 2 - 3 years or every 100 - 200 dives whichever comes first if and when I am living in the US or in a country where there are qualified service centers available (more frequently if there are issues of course). I am living in Libya now with no service centers of any kind here so I go longer between servicing since I have to ship the regulators to either Europe or the US making it extremely expensive and very complicated to do. I invested in very high end regulators (Atomic and SP) with specific designs that make them last a lot longer between servicing so I go 3 - 5 years.

Last edited:
I will disagree with my esteemed colleagues. I get the impression you were saltwater diving, from your location and post. If you were the first person that used the tank after it was filled then I agree with what was said above. However, if others used the tank before you after an ocean dive then the "fresh" water is no longer fresh but has some salt content. Given this and the three years since the last overhaul I would recommend the service. If there is salt in there, even a bit, it will start to corrode.

If you want to risk it then you could take all hoses and plugs off the first stage and soak it in distilled water for a while and then put it on a tank and run air through it to dry it out. The main drawback in doing this is you may wash away some of the lube from the o-rings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom