First stage got wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rinse tank water is supposed to be clean. I'd question whoever maintains it how there could be such a high salt content in that water.
No rinse tank water in a saltwater operation is going to be salt free, Unless they have a continuous supply of freshwater running into it and the saltwater is being circulated out. So the chances of a true freshwater rinse tank are very small.
Dunk one BC in it? Now a saltwater tank.
I never used and recommend against putting regs in rinse tanks anywhere. Maybe your own bathtub pressurized on a tank. Dust caps are just that. Dust caps. Don't trust them for dunking regs.
Best way to rinse a reg on a trip? Put the dust cap on, drape the regs over your shoulders and shower with them briefly.
Do that after the last dive of the trip. Rinse the seconds in the sink while working the knobs and levers if any. Swish them around. Rinse again. Wipe the 1st stage with a damp cloth. Hang them to dry overnight at least if possible. Never put wet regs in a reg bag for travel unless it's only for a couple hours.

No rinse tank water in a saltwater operation is going to be salt free, Unless they have a continuous supply of freshwater running into it and the saltwater is being circulated out. So the chances of a true freshwater rinse tank are very small.
Dunk one BC in it? Now a saltwater tank.
I never used and recommend against putting regs in rinse tanks anywhere. Maybe your own bathtub pressurized on a tank. Dust caps are just that. Dust caps. Don't trust them for dunking regs.
Best way to rinse a reg on a trip? Put the dust cap on, drape the regs over your shoulders and shower with them briefly.
Do that after the last dive of the trip. Rinse the seconds in the sink while working the knobs and levers if any. Swish them around. Rinse again. Wipe the 1st stage with a damp cloth. Hang them to dry overnight at least if possible. Never put wet regs in a reg bag for travel unless it's only for a couple hours.
All my reg rinsing on vacations has been very abbreviated. I used to set my whole assembled rig (still pressurized) onto the dock after a multi day trip and give it a hose down from the boat’s dock hose, including sticking the hose up to the ambient holes on my MK20 and cupping my hand around the end if the hose and the reg so I can see water squirting out the other holes. The wing and plate gets a little fresh water love too. I throw the whole rig still assembled and pressurized into the truck and hit the freeway for an 8 hour drive home. I can do a proper soaking and clean the rest of the crap once I get home.
On 4 day campouts I didn’t even bother rinsing because the rig never gets dry we dive so much.

Rinse tank water is supposed to be clean. I'd question whoever maintains it how there could be such a high salt content in that water.
Suppose to be maintained is the key. Some parts of the world mainentance is not the primary concern. Water is more important for things like drinking and living.

It's a piston Sherwood Oasis.
Piston. Great. 1 moving part.. should be a 5 minute....

[Pulls up schematic]

Uh oh.

1269.sherwood-9000-1st-stage-schematic.jpg

[Edit - sorry for the confusion. It's a joke based on the claim that piston fans like to make that their regs are simpler and thus easier to work on than diaphragm regs. "One moving part" is a common refrain.]

Piston. Great. 1 moving part.. should be a 5 minute....

[Pulls up schematic]

Uh oh.

1269.sherwood-9000-1st-stage-schematic.jpg

[Edit - sorry for the confusion. It's a joke based on the claim that piston fans like to make that their regs are simpler and thus easier to work on than diaphragm regs. "One moving part" is a common refrain.]

The spring moves too, so two moving parts :wink:.

It is likely water did not get past the sintered filter. I would pull the filter and look and see what the insides look like beyond the filter unless you pressurized it afterwards. If the insides look clean, button it up, replace the filter and carry on. Or take it in and get it serviced if you have no mechanical desires.

Back
Top Bottom